External links opening in new tabs

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

I didn't want to post this in Bug Reporting because I am not sure if it is really a bug, or a design decision. 

Either way, I was wondering if it is possible to get an external link to open in a new tab automatically? I know when you are in the editing process, and you click the link and then click the option "Go to link", that it opens in a new tab (so you don't lose your stuff), but once it is actually posted the link always takes you away from the site. 

For example, if I wanted to post an image that I am hosting somewhere else, and want to let people click it for a larger version, I don't want them to be taken away from Giant Bomb automatically. I know people can right-click and choose for a link to open in a new tab, but isn't there a way for it to be done automatically? 

I have even tried doing the 'target="_blank" ' thing in the HTML editor, but it never takes effect. 

Thanks!

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hatking

I totally would appreciate all external links defaulting to new tabs or windows... I don't like when I get taken away from the site when I click a link in a thread.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ajamafalous

You guys don't have three-button mice?

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous: I'm not worried about the issue for myself. I am worried about the issue for the multitude of other people that would be clicking my links. I'm not sure why they take you away from the site. 
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ajamafalous
@Vito_Raliffe: Eh, seems like those people probably have themselves set up to do whatever's preferable to them.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

They have status update links set to open in a new window/tab and I hate it. target isn't even a valid attribute to be using in XHTML Strict, and for good reason: people hate when sites try to control their browser like that. It's easy for you to open links in a new window or tab, but significantly more difficult to open them in the current one.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Castro

If you like, you can just hold down Ctrl when you click on a link and it will open in a new tab. Once you get used to it, it will be second nature, seriously!

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LordAndrew said:
" They have status update links set to open in a new window/tab and I hate it. target isn't even a valid attribute to be using in XHTML Strict, and for good reason: people hate when sites try to control their browser like that. It's easy for you to open links in a new window or tab, but significantly more difficult to open them in the current one. "
Hmm, I never thought about it like that. I always thought it was more common for sites to have links open in new tabs, but after browsing around various places that I go to, I discovered I was wrong! I understand why it is done like it is now. Thanks! 

Ignore this thread everyone!