Human concept?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SultS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By SultS

I think this one is getting out of hand. Maybe it would be best to remove it completely. It is yet another concept, where you can add more than 95% of the games. Maybe it would help to make it more specific and include only games, where the human aspect needs mentioning (don't know how that can be done).

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By xymox

I propose a new category all together: "Race". Because yes, the "Human" concept is going out of hand.
The same thing goes for Goombas and such, these are not characters, nor are they concepts...
Add race / creatures or something like that instead.

Djungelurban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Djungelurban

Agree, I was pretty much about to suggest this myself for the exact same reason, human is not a concept, it's a race. And it's spinning out of control completely.

SultS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SultS

I like the idea of races category. But even then the human race can be added (probably) to almost every game.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By samcotts

The concept category covers races, seeing as humans are a race, it should stay. Just because something is a concept, doesn't mean every game should be attached to it, listen to last weeks Bombcast.

I agree that grass, sky etc, concepts shouldn't be there, but I think humans should definitely stay.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By TheJollyRajah

It should stay, but it shouldn't be included in every game. Adding it to Call of Duty or Metal Gear Solid would be wrong, but adding it to a game like WoW or Halo is acceptable.

1. In WoW, the "Human" race is a selectable class
2. In Halo, part of the plot revolves around the battle between the humans and the Covenant

If the concept of the human race is important to the game's plot, then it's fine. This is sort of hard to explain, so I hope you catch my drift. ;)

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By thebeast

The concept of Humans in games is important - so much so that Giant Bomb wouldn't be a resource of all gaming knowledge if we didn't have a page on them.
Just because people want to attach every game to it, it doesn't necessarily mean the page itself should go. Besides, we're being a lot more restrictive on what we approve when it comes to relationships now - although admittedly nothing can be done about 1K+ users.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Daniel

Hmm....okay, Humans stay (haha, sounds funny).

As the days carry on covering this Delete/Combine forum I'm seeing the need to have an additional row on concept pages in which users put their reasoning for attaching a given game. That way, we can see if the submission is legitimate. As of now its a free for all, attach as many games as possible. For example, users would attach a game like WoW to the Human concept page, then would write "Humans are a selectable class" or something along those lines. People attaching Call of Duty 4 would write something stupid like "You play as humans"....that'd give us as mods a chance to see quickly which games can be detached.

I'm tempted like I am for the Grass concept page, to simply delete every attached game on this page. However, until we have a proper safeguard (like the user description which would go in the row to the right of "Developer", by the way) it's probably useless to do.

Avatar image for galvanizednails
GalvanizedNails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By GalvanizedNails

like it was said before, it should stay where there are races other than human, like Mass Effect for instance, but battlefield doesnt belong there

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thebeast

Daniel - this is already possible if the user attaches the game through the Games sub-section, rather from the side column.
People rarely use this section so we rarely ever see comments relating to attachments - they should be compulsory in my opinion.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Daniel

TheBeast,

I think it'd be good to have a column (or maybe a text box when you hover over the cover art?) that explains what about the game makes it applicable to that given concept. If not only as a helpful tool for mods determining validity, it'd be a good encyclopedic tool for users. Instead of just knowing Humans were in a game, the extra description would say WHY they were. 

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thebeast

Yeah it would, I'm just saying that this feature is already available, it's just not shown on the main game page so very few people know about it, or care to submit a comment when they associate games.
Your suggestion should definitely be implemented to make sure everyone knows about it.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By xymox

" daniel said:

"TheBeast,

I think it'd be good to have a column (or maybe a text box when you hover over the cover art?) that explains what about the game makes it applicable to that given concept. If not only as a helpful tool for mods determining validity, it'd be a good encyclopedic tool for users. Instead of just knowing Humans were in a game, the extra description would say WHY they were. "
Sounds like a plan. Would make pages with bazillions of connections more reader friendly, not just point heavens - even though I have nothing against the huge lists; to be honest I'd like to see everything listed even if it's not connected to the story - but it would be cool to see what people write about stuff. For example "grass", sure, it's in Oblivion, you can't do anything to it. It's in Legend of Zelda, and is actually used there as a gameplay mechanic (hit grass, get rupees), or in Flower where the whole game focuses on the grass... Or perhaps Sky, Air, Tree, Grass should all be merged to "Nature", what do I know. I really would like to see the Tree page filled out so I can read more about speedtree and it's uses in games without having to google. XD
KuribosShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By KuribosShoe

I'd like to see the same thing done with the Earth location.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#15  Edited By LordAndrew

Earth is entirely legitimate. There are many games that do not take place on Earth.

KuribosShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By KuribosShoe

I'm not saying get rid of it, I'm saying, narrow down which games can consider the entire earth a location.  I think it's more important in a game where other planets are involved, but you get people adding it to every game that has an actual setting within Earth, and that's abusing the system.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#17  Edited By LordAndrew
KuribosShoe said:
"I'm not saying get rid of it, I'm saying, narrow down which games can consider the entire earth a location.  I think it's more important in a game where other planets are involved, but you get people adding it to every game that has an actual setting within Earth, and that's abusing the system."
We've been told to use a more specific location (country, city, whatever) when available, but a lot of people don't do that.
Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Joker

I wish it could be just be a wiki page, with the access to adding games removed from it, so that it cannot get abused. it should stay for the wiki, to explain the evolution of humans in video games, from small sprites to graphical masterpieces.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#19  Edited By JackiJinx

When listing for a concept such as human, what is most appropriate to list under it? Should it just be for those games that make it optional to be a human class? Should it be for games that have more than one race, but mostly just humans? Should it be for be in survival games that have you being one of the last humans on Earth type scenarios?

What is excluded?

Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By Giantkitty

Can we have a system where we rate the objects/concepts? Maybe have a plus/minus thing like the posts. When going down the list, someone could give it a + if it should go up and a - if it should go down. That way things that are only vaguely related : walls, humans, grass, etc. should get pushed down the list.
I think that's the best way to handle vague or general concepts. We could delete the human concept, but it may come in to play sometimes. This also prevents humans coming on and off the list repeatedly. I don't think people want to spend time policing pages because of fear of something they put off will be put on. I suppose someone could go through the games A-Z, put humans in, wait until they're deleted and semi-justifiably put them back on (not how I want to spend the day, but I don't care for points that much). Pages shouldn't be a battle field. Just accept that people will put nit-picky minor things in, but shove it to the bottom.  Also there are exhaustive completist types out there - more power to them.

At least on the character screen, you could have the "race" selectable with the other selections of gender, birthdate, etc.

Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Joker
Giantkitty said:
"Can we have a system where we rate the objects/concepts? Maybe have a plus/minus thing like the posts. When going down the list, someone could give it a + if it should go up and a - if it should go down. That way things that are only vaguely related : walls, humans, grass, etc. should get pushed down the list.
I think that's the best way to handle vague or general concepts. We could delete the human concept, but it may come in to play sometimes. This also prevents humans coming on and off the list repeatedly. I don't think people want to spend time policing pages because of fear of something they put off will be put on. I suppose someone could go through the games A-Z, put humans in, wait until they're deleted and semi-justifiably put them back on (not how I want to spend the day, but I don't care for points that much). Pages shouldn't be a battle field. Just accept that people will put nit-picky minor things in, but shove it to the bottom.  Also there are exhaustive completist types out there - more power to them.

At least on the character screen, you could have the "race" selectable with the other selections of gender, birthdate, etc."

Great idea. A community modding tool that can help us get stupid pages gone.
Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By Termite

I think the human concept should be attached only to games where there are other races to be played as or are present in the storyline

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I think all additions to wiki entries should be explained, however it's decided to be incorporated.  The tiny comment box at the bottom of the overview page isn't big enough, and nobody uses the sub menu for related games.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Daniel

Okay, lets keep the human concept, but we need to patrol it to make sure no games are attached that don't include humans among other races. If it's just humans in the game, then that game does NOT apply. Let's keep the concept though. I think it's informative.