Regarding iphone games.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ZenaxPure

So I looked around a bit but never found a solid answer so I figured I would create a thread: Are there any specific rules for adding iphone games to the site? I see it is listed as a platform now and there are already a bunch of iphone games on the site, however, I just recently bought one myself and have discovered many games I have bought/played demos for do not have their own page. Should we be adding those in, even the free stuff or does that go against any sort of rules?

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JoelTGM

I wasn't sure about that either.  I mean a lot of them aren't very original, and there are a lot of them...

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

There aren't currently any strict rules regarding iphone games. As long as they're actually a game, and not an non-gaming app, feel free to submit them to the database.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ZenaxPure

Alright excellent, thanks for the info. Gotta add some when I get some free time soon.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew

Feel free to dump every game in the App Store here (as long as it is in fact a game). Our iPhone coverage is really weak. :(

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6  Edited By wefwefasdf
@LordAndrew said:
" Feel free to dump every game in the App Store here (as long as it is in fact a game). Our iPhone coverage is really weak. :( "
There are thousands... That could take forever. 0_o
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LordAndrew
@SpikeSpiegel: Better get started. :P
I said "feel free". I don't actually expect Giant Bomb to ever have even a tenth of what's available on the App Store. But if someone wants to help expand Giant Bomb's coverage in that area, great.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#8  Edited By wefwefasdf
@LordAndrew: I know. I was just attempting to be funny... My bad. :/
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ZenaxPure
@LordAndrew: Yeah, I will def add anything I own that is not currently on the wiki, but yeah there is soooo much stuff on there... Kind of a pain to go through to find good stuff.
Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Not_Rage

Depending on what source you use, there's between 6,000 to 15,000 iPhone games out there. Gamespot simply ran a bot or used an API to extract every iPhone  to their database. Any there are dozens of other sites that do the same. So adding every game manually to GB seems like a bad idea.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LordAndrew

I doubt a bot would be ideal for Giant Bomb. Some games have the same title as an existing game, but they may or may not be same game. Or a game may be the same as another, but have a different name. That's not the sort of thing automated processes can detect. Genres can also be a problem. Some people don't even attempt to classify their games properly, so a human touch is required to correct the genre in a large number of cases (that's what most of my iPhone data contributions on GameFAQs are). Plus, the company listed in the store may be named differently than the company listed on this site. GameSpot's automated process has led to the creation of redundant company listings due to the use of things like all uppercase names and suffixes.

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Not_Rage

Yeah Gamespot's iPhone database is pretty bad. They don't even remove LITE versions of games. Plus they include things that aren't even games like stat trackers and point packs. And since its just a copy and paste the description always looks bad, with all uppercase.  "======="  and asterisks heavily used.  

I'm surprised they approved doing this, it makes the site look bad.