#2  Edited By Cirdain
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Isn't it a browser game? If so, it should be completely deleted.

EDIT: yep, visited the site, it's a flash based browser game, and thus should be deleted from the GB database.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Cirdain

It's an indie game that was made using Flash, Box2d, hxphp, haxe and fwork cms but mainly flash. So to make the game more accessible they made it to be played on the internet.
Therefore if this should be deleted the Quake live! should be deleted as well.

Edit: I forgot to mention it has 16 nearly perfectly designed level design and also the gameplay is ment to be about and hour long

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Jeff Said:
"Yeah, we currently don't want browser-based games on the site. This may change down the line, but you're exactly right in that we have to draw the line somewhere and at the moment there doesn't seem to be enough interest in this category to warrant giving them their own section. Additionally, our games/releases taxonomy is currently setup to primarily handle commercial products.

I think the other key thing is that we'd never want to have every Flash game on the site. The barrier to entry is so low there that it would just lead to us having a ton of bedroom developers cluttering up the site with links to the games they've made. Until there can be a meaningful distinction between quality Flash-based products and "DUDE CHECK IT OUT I MADE ASTEROIDS EXCEPT WITH BUTTS INSTEAD OF ROCKS," we'd be biting off more than we could chew with that stuff.

We also don't want any BBS door games or standard cell phone games, for the record.
"
By that rule, both this, and Quake Live should be deleted. Although a case could be made for Quake live, since you do actually have to download an installer for the game, despite it actually running through the browser. For Scarygirl, you just open it and run it using flash. No download required. Thus, it definitely needs to be deleted.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ninjakiller
MattyFTM said:
"Isn't it a browser game? If so, it should be completely deleted.EDIT: yep, visited the site, it's a flash based browser game, and thus should be deleted from the GB database."
I've been playing Urban Dead for 3 years now.    Stop the hate, a game is a game.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
ninjakiller said:
"MattyFTM said:
"Isn't it a browser game? If so, it should be completely deleted.EDIT: yep, visited the site, it's a flash based browser game, and thus should be deleted from the GB database."
I've been playing Urban Dead for 3 years now.    Stop the hate, a game is a game."
I've got nothing against browser games, but a rule is a rule. We can't pick and choose which rules on Giant Bomb we follow.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ninjakiller
MattyFTM said:
"ninjakiller said:
"MattyFTM said:
I've been playing Urban Dead for 3 years now.    Stop the hate, a game is a game."
I've got nothing against browser games, but a rule is a rule. We can't pick and choose which rules on Giant Bomb we follow."
http://www.bombombombomwooooo.com/

@ you.
Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Cirdain
MattyFTM said:
"ninjakiller said:
"MattyFTM said:
I've got nothing against browser games, but a rule is a rule. We can't pick and choose which rules on Giant Bomb we follow."
  About an hour of gameplay. That's more that Braid. Braid was only 50 min on my watch
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Cirdain said:
"MattyFTM said:
"ninjakiller said:
"MattyFTM said:
  About an hour of gameplay. That's more that Braid. Braid was only 50 min on my watch"
There is nothing about gameplay length in the rules. Jeff has clearly stated that browser games are not allowed on giant bomb, and thus this needs to be deleted. It's not my decision, it's Jeff's. If you've got a problem with those rules, contact Jeff about them
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Endogene
ninjakiller said:
"MattyFTM said:
"ninjakiller said:
"MattyFTM said:
http://www.bombombombomwooooo.com/@ you."

He is not hating, just telling how the site works. Somewhere we have to draw a line regarding what we should allow being on the site and what not, that line is such a hard one to define to be honest. The "rule" is that only games that have a retail release get a page but now that digital distribution is gaining in popularity and that viable browser based games now exist that "rule" i would agree has become somewhat dated.

In my opinion only web based games that have been made into retail games (Ex: N, flow) and those who are recognized as being significant (the finalists for the IGF) should be allowed on the site.

Anyway I am afraid that I can not give a clear answer about this page having to be deleted or it staying for the moment, will have to look into it.

edit: when i say retail I also mean digital distribution.

edit2: played it for a bit, see no reason to keep it.
tarwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By tarwin

Well I'm glad to have caused some controversy. I'm one of the designer/devs from Touch My Pixel, just so you know where I'm coming from.

I didn't actually add the game myself, but I did add some content. I'd agree that if you have a policy of no browser-based games then it's fair enough that you don't list Scarygirl. Does it make it more real that it's had a bunch of real paper-based articles written about it? If there was a download version available (exactly the same content) would that be counted, or would this only be if the user had to pay for it, even if that was only $1?

I'm asking these questions not because I feel any anger over people talking about deleting it from your list (though I'd miss it as this seems to be a great / extensive list) but because I think it's a great argument to have.

I remember a few years ago adding cheats (key combinations that did secret things) in an advergame I made for Disney. Somehow this made it feel more like a "real" game to me as well.

The argument of having to install a plugin might not be a great place to start though, as there is a range here. From Flash as the ubiquitous plugin, to Unity 3D to the PlayNow plugin which lets you play a bunch of games made using GarageGames Torque engine. Are tha games that are available online and off the only ones that can be listed?

How long a game goes. Does this make a difference. It's also quite personal as well. It takes me 35 minutes to complete the game, but I know people who have played for 4 hours and not completed it yet (while enjoying themselves the whole time).

Does the fact that the game has been talked about in blogs, in newspapers and podcasts make a difference?

What if it does win an award of some kind of IGF? Does it then get re-instated?

Hope we can hav ea good discussion about this ...

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@tarwin: At the moment the rules simply state that browser based games do not get a page on the site. Free PC download games do. Free downloadable PC games can have pages on the site, as long as they are original IP's, and are not just some rip off of another game (e.g. a free mario rip off for the PC wouldn't be allowed, but a mario style platformer with unique characters & design would).

Now, I totally know where you're coming from. Scarygirl is of a far higher standard than some downloadable PC games. Unfortunately, on the whole, there are more downloadable PC games of a notable quality than flash games. And the line must be drawn somewhere. While if we allow flash games, we open the doors to every crappy flash game someone made from his bedroom in 10 minutes and put on the internet.

While in an ideal world we could have notability guidelines so that stuff like Scarygirl gets in, and all the horrible flash games stay out of the database, but giant bomb is trying to keep thing simple. None of us want this site to end up like wikipedia, where you have pages and pages of rules you have to follow. People should be able to jump in and add some information about game, without having to worry about complicated notability guidelines and stuff. The rules that exist are very black and white, so they are simple to understand and follow.

If the rules were to change, it would probably have to be into more very nailed down, black and white rules. Perhaps we could allow flash games if they get nominated for an IGF award, or other similar things. But as Jeff said in the qoute I posted above, we would never want every flash game on the site, and we need to have rules in place to stop this.

Also, can I reccomend that you PM Jeff about this. He's the staff member who usually deals with all of the decisions based on wiki content. He might take a while to responding (he's a busy dude, and I'm sure he gets tonnes of PM's), but once he does you should get some good feedback on this issue.