Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By StarFoxA

http://www.giantbomb.com/ninja-gaiden/61-20744/
http://www.giantbomb.com/ninja-gaiden/61-1653/
http://www.giantbomb.com/ninja-gaiden/61-20745/

I think so. A section could be added to the main article about "other versions" or "version differences."

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By MasturbatingBear

I dont think so. I think they are significantly different that they are available to have multiple pages.

Ryan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Ryan_

i think the first two maybe. but not the third one because it is a different version of the game

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By brukaoru

The first two definitely should be merged.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#5  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

You know, people said the same of Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. I was fucking pissed when they merged it with the original Valkyrie Profile's page.

If this merge doesn't happen, the people with power are hypocrites.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By roushimsx

There's no reason at all that they should be merged. They're all entirely different games and it shouldn't matter if the names are the same. Not only is there a sizeable amount of different content, they're completely. different. games.

Wasn't this exact same topic brought up and discussed with Star Trek 25th Anniversary and Batman? Both encompass at least three separate games with the same names but share very little in common. Hell, look at Strider for NES and Arcade or Bionic Commando for NES and Arcade. or Rygar NES vs Rygar Arcade vs Rygar PS2. The list goes on and on.

Please quit trying to combine obviously different games based on the titles alone.

edit - Actually, do yourself a favor and dig through this article sometime to educate yourself on just how wildly different these games are.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Endogene
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By StarFoxA
roushimsx said:
"There's no reason at all that they should be merged. They're all entirely different games and it shouldn't matter if the names are the same. Not only is there a sizeable amount of different content, they're completely. different. games.

Wasn't this exact same topic brought up and discussed with Star Trek 25th Anniversary and Batman? Both encompass at least three separate games with the same names but share very little in common. Hell, look at Strider for NES and Arcade or Bionic Commando for NES and Arcade. or Rygar NES vs Rygar Arcade vs Rygar PS2. The list goes on and on.

Please quit trying to combine obviously different games based on the titles alone.

edit - Actually, do yourself a favor and dig through this article sometime to educate yourself on just how wildly different these games are."
Which is why there should be a section in the article about "version differences," instead of three separate articles. That way it reduces clutter.
Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Axersia

These aren't 3 different versions of the same game; they're 3 different games with the same title. If these 3 games were to be merged, why not merge the Xbox Ninja Gaiden with them? Obviously not a good idea.

I do think ports, enhanced releases, and even remakes should share the same page in most cases, but it's probably a better idea to look at it case by case like Wikipedia does instead of trying to set a strict standard. If all the changes made to the game can be summed up in a paragraph, why bother giving it its own page? Likewise, if you can write... say... 1500 words on just the new content/changes, creating a new page for it might be appropriate so the original's page doesn't get cluttered up with all this content some readers have no interest in.

But that's just my own opinion; I don't know what the staff's official stance is on this.

In this case though, there isn't even any room for debate. They're different games and shouldn't be merged.

Sleepy_Insomniac said:

"You know, people said the same of Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. I was fucking pissed when they merged it with the original Valkyrie Profile's page.

If this merge doesn't happen, the people with power are hypocrites."

Why were you pissed? Is it because you thought it would be a good idea to write up your own plot summary on the remake's page even though the original's page already had one and yours got lost in the merge? Well no offense, but you should've known better than to write duplicate information. And if yours did get lost in the merge, it means that whichever staff member did the merge thought your work was inferior.

If you do run into a page of an enhanced release/port/remake, solely focus on the changes made between the games, don't copy-paste, and simply link the reader to the original's article for everything else.

Also, just in case anyone wants to bring this up--yes, I did add a page for Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories to the database a few weeks ago, which sorta contradicts my own words. In retrospect, I probably should've just added a section about it in the article of the original KH: CoM, but I didn't think too much about it in my excitement about the game.
roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By roushimsx
StarFoxA said:
Which is why there should be a section in the article about "version differences," instead of three separate articles. That way it reduces clutter."
All of the games I mentioned are not different versions. They're completely different games that just have the same titles.

Not sure how to spell that out any clearer for you. I mean, what's next? Do you want to merge all of the games in a franchise into a single entry so that it further reduces clutter?

How do you handle Ninja Gaiden Shadow, then? It was released in the US as a Ninja Gaiden game, but it's a Gameboy port of Shadow of the Ninja. What about Alex Kid in Shinobi World in relation to Alex Kid and Shinobi?

What about Metal Gear: Ghost Babel? Do you advocate merging it with the Metal Gear Solid article simply because it shares the same title in its US release? Apparently so, because you're more than willing to lump games into the same pile when their only similarity is their title, nevermind the fact that everything else about them is entirely different.

You're just way too merge happy, man.
Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#11  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
Axersia said:
Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"You know, people said the same of Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. I was fucking pissed when they merged it with the original Valkyrie Profile's page.

If this merge doesn't happen, the people with power are hypocrites."

Why were you pissed? Is it because you thought it would be a good idea to write up your own plot summary on the remake's page even though the original's page already had one and yours got lost in the merge? Well no offense, but you should've known better than to write duplicate information. And if yours did get lost in the merge, it means that whichever staff member did the merge thought your work was inferior.

If you do run into a page of an enhanced release/port/remake, solely focus on the changes made between the games, don't copy-paste, and simply link the reader to the original's article for everything else.

Also, just in case anyone wants to bring this up--yes, I did add a page for Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories to the database a few weeks ago, which sorta contradicts my own words. In retrospect, I probably should've just added a section about it in the article of the original KH: CoM, but I didn't think too much about it in my excitement about the game."
My article was written well before anyone put up anything for the original Valkyrie Profile page and well before the enhanced port/release was an issue. By saying I should have known better than to write duplicate information is a sweeping generalization that readily assumes I'm the stupid one here. Simply put: Thanks for your lack of consideration.

The people who warned me that a merge would be taking place recommended adding a section noting the changes and differences between the original. Upon hearing that, I did and the pages were still merged using written portions without giving credit (wiki points) to me. Needless to say, I was pissed. And yes, I think these pages should be merged as well as many on this site but I don't want to be the outrageous zealot demanding justice for being wronged.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#12  Edited By LordAndrew
Sleepy_Insomniac said:
"The people who warned me that a merge would be taking place recommended adding a section noting the changes and differences between the original. Upon hearing that, I did and the pages were still merged using written portions without giving credit (wiki points) to me. Needless to say, I was pissed. And yes, I think these pages should be merged as well as many on this site but I don't want to be the outrageous zealot demanding justice for being wronged."
Your wiki points have not disappeared. They're just associated with a game that no longer exists in the database.
I performed some of the work in merging that page. I copied some stuff that didn't already exist in the Valkyrie Profile article. I left the duplicate information for someone else, and as I recall he/she did a pretty good job of combining the two.

You were asked to add information on version differences because the two pages were going to be merged. The article needed that to highlight the differences in the PSP version. It was not a "won't merge if you add it" type of deal.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By StarFoxA
roushimsx said:
"StarFoxA said:
Which is why there should be a section in the article about "version differences," instead of three separate articles. That way it reduces clutter."
All of the games I mentioned are not different versions. They're completely different games that just have the same titles.

Not sure how to spell that out any clearer for you. I mean, what's next? Do you want to merge all of the games in a franchise into a single entry so that it further reduces clutter?

How do you handle Ninja Gaiden Shadow, then? It was released in the US as a Ninja Gaiden game, but it's a Gameboy port of Shadow of the Ninja. What about Alex Kid in Shinobi World in relation to Alex Kid and Shinobi?

What about Metal Gear: Ghost Babel? Do you advocate merging it with the Metal Gear Solid article simply because it shares the same title in its US release? Apparently so, because you're more than willing to lump games into the same pile when their only similarity is their title, nevermind the fact that everything else about them is entirely different.

You're just way too merge happy, man."
I admit that merging the NES and arcade games might be a bit of a stretch, but at least the Master System version should be merged with the NES one.
roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By roushimsx
StarFoxA said:
I admit that merging the NES and arcade games might be a bit of a stretch, but at least the Master System version should be merged with the NES one."
Why? They're still entirely different games. They may both be 2d side scrollers, but they both have:
  1. completely different graphics
  2. different gameplay physics and quirks
  3. entirely different levels
  4. were developed by different teams
  5. were released years apart
  6. different story lines
Why on earth would two games with so many differences share the same page?

On a side note, how do you feel about merging Star Fox 64 and Star Fox? Afterall, one is an expanded remake of the other and remakes on Giant Bomb don't warrant their own entries in most cases.
Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Axersia
StarFoxA said:
I admit that merging the NES and arcade games might be a bit of a stretch, but at least the Master System version should be merged with the NES one."
No, it doesn't matter if they use similar gameplay mechanics, they're completely different games. Just look at the list of differences roushimsx posted.

Would you merge Super Mario Bros. with Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels just because they're more of the same? This is very close to what you're currently suggesting.

Or how about merging Super Mario Bros. 2 USA with Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels (the actual Super Mario Bros. 2) just because they had the same title in the first country they were released in? No, not happening.

It would actually make more sense to merge Super Mario Bros. 2 USA and Doki Doki Panic because they're the same game with character swaps, but I wouldn't want that either because they were marketed as different games.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By StarFoxA
Axersia said:
"StarFoxA said:
No, it doesn't matter if they use similar gameplay mechanics, they're completely different games. Just look at the list of differences roushimsx posted.

Would you merge Super Mario Bros. with Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels just because they're more of the same? This is very close to what you're currently suggesting.

Or how about merging Super Mario Bros. 2 USA with Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels (the actual Super Mario Bros. 2) just because they had the same title in the first country they were released in? No, not happening.

It would actually make more sense to merge Super Mario Bros. 2 USA and Doki Doki Panic because they're the same game with character swaps, but I wouldn't want that either because they were marketed as different games.
"
Well, what you're saying is they shouldn't be merged because they are marketed as different games. Then should each game have a different page for each console it was released on? Not only do the Master System and NES versions share names, they were released in the same year, share the same gameplay mechanics, and much more.

Just saying. But I'm fine if it isn't merged.
Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Axersia

They weren't released in the same year; they were released 4 years apart and developed by different teams. In fact, Ninja Gaiden II AND III were already out for the NES by the time Ninja Gaiden for the Master System was released.

And yes, I would like to see games sharing the same name released around the same time actually get their own pages if they're different from eachother.

For example, the PC and console versions of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban are all the same Action/Adventures while the GBA version is a turn-based RPG. They only loosely follow the same story, and would actually both need to have their own plot summary written for them. There's no reason why they should share the same page.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By roushimsx
StarFoxA said:
Not only do the Master System and NES versions share names, they were released in the same year, share the same gameplay mechanics, and much more.

I really wish that you had spent a few minutes reading the article that I linked you to. Maybe then you could have actually made an informed counter argument.

Axersia said:
"And yes, I would like to see games sharing the same name released around the same time actually get their own pages if they're different from eachother."

Piggybacking on this, games like Petz Dogz 2 for PS2 and Wii version Petz Dogz 2 for every other platform. Or the similarities between Petz Catz 2 on PS2 and Wii to the Dogz version. Or how Splinter Cell Double Agent has two distinctly different versions available. Or how Merceneries 2 has two different versions (though both are apparently pretty "meh").
Ryan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ryan_

i changed my mind. After reading that article he posted, I am totally with roushimsx. these pages shouldn't be combined