• 160 results
GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#151  Edited By GaspoweR

@crcruz3: Ah alright. It didn't appear that was what you were actually describing since it was separated in a different phrase. :D

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

@historyinrust said:

@boojr said:

why are we still talking about this game....it was a let down (almost brought a ps4) and in a few years will be forgotten unless they just keep throwing money at it to keep it alive.... T__T

Because the ways in which it is a let down, and the fact that--despite its myriad flaws--it can still command so much attention from its players, are completely fucking fascinating.

How about because a bunch of people actually like it a lot? I, for one, love the shit out of it. Sure, the variety in content is lacking and the story is bad but the content that's actually there is incredibly fun to play. The multiplayer is great and rewarding in a way I haven't felt since modern warfare 2. I'm really looking forward to trying out that raid and so is a lot of people. That's why we're still talking about destiny.

Totally. And I completely agree.

But it's more than that at some point. It's still this surprisingly confounding thing that no one seems to truly understand on any level. Destiny carries a certain magic with it. And I think the part everyone is still circling around is how a game so flawed in so many aspects can be so riveting.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Gotta agree that them getting no loot for investing that much time into it is absolutely bullshit. Did Bungie not expect anyone to complete it this soon or something?

I also saw a post saying Patrick should track down the guild leaders for Ensidia and talk to them about this stuff, that would be pretty rad. Back in WoW, that guild was pretty much the mythological guild that no one could ever compare to.

oopprraahh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

fun read. really enjoying the game and hope I can gather up enough people at the end to do this raid.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

This sounds pretty nifty. Figured it would just be a slightly longer, tougher Strike. But puzzles and stealth sections? Sounds kinda nuts. Definitely looking forward to giving it a shot at some point, although I think I'll take their advice and try to pull my level a little higher than the base entry requirement before stepping into it myself.

Thanks for the interview, Patrick! A great quick read before bed.

ajroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I almost get the impression that Bungie wants some of Destiny's Exotic gear to be so rare and valuable that even seeing someone using it, is a big deal.

I watched Primeguard's second team for most of their run, but fell asleep around hour 11. It was quite an experience to behold. I was impressed at the complexity and puzzles Bungie installed in the raid. It wasnt just "shoot stuff" then move to the next thing, etc. It was an adventure in every way possible.

Thanks for this story Patrick. I was wondering about these guys.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#157  Edited By Christoffer
@random45 said:

Gotta agree that them getting no loot for investing that much time into it is absolutely bullshit. Did Bungie not expect anyone to complete it this soon or something?

I also saw a post saying Patrick should track down the guild leaders for Ensidia and talk to them about this stuff, that would be pretty rad. Back in WoW, that guild was pretty much the mythological guild that no one could ever compare to.

O my. That would be Kungen, wouldn't it?

Edit: Sorry. I guess Kungen was Nihilum before they merged

kycinematic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time well spent.

spctre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#159  Edited By spctre

So "too elitist" is still the rallying cry of the inept, time-constrained and the jealous? Got it.

As for the no loot thing, that's just one more sign that Bungie really rushed the raid content.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they got no loot, did they at least get rare currency?

spctre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@neocalypso said:

It's pretty god damned annoying that nobody seems to be able to convey what actually makes these stupid raids so hard. They are always so pointlessly vague about it when it's just a shooter so It can't really be all that complicated.

I don't know that I'm the person to be answering this, since I've neither participated in the Vault of Glass nor watched a single playthrough from front to back.

But I did catch some of it on stream last night.

Saddle up. This could be a long--and completely inaccurate--post.

---

It looked like, matter of factly, that the raid's difficulty is dictated by two factors:

1) The number of moving parts in the combat scenarios.

2) DPS -- that is, the DPS typhoon the bosses and infinite mobs can dole out + the relative lack of damage players do to both of those entities.

Concerning Point 1: Players (in the scenario I witnessed) aren't fighting a boss and squads of regular enemies in a simple shoot-em-up. The boss has a shield that can only be deactivated (for a few seconds at a time) with a raid-specific weapon. Some kind of sword. The player wielding the sword can only deactivate the boss's defenses if they have built up their super ability, something that regenerates once every few minutes, or more quickly if Orbs of Light are dropped when other supers nearby are used.

When the shield is deactivated, it only remains so for a couple beats. This is more or less Point 2 in totality--players don't hurt the boss very much, and when they do, they can't hurt it for more than a few breathless moments every few minutes. The high-level enemies and boss, however, can leave an entire team in cinders with one or a few well-placed attacks, or as a result of lapses of judgment/coordination on the part of the team.

Meanwhile, as the team struggles in this war of attrition, entities called Oracles spawn around the boss room, which is large and intricate. The Oracles generate a team-wide debuff that are removed by being within close proximity to a point very close to the boss location. Basically directly underneath the boss itself.

As the players fight against these Oracles and the boss and the mobs coming in endless droves, the boss will trap individual players inside red globes. These globes can only be destroyed by another player, and will kill those trapped inside if not destroyed promptly. I'm talking, like, within a matter of seconds. While inside the globe, the player can still fire their weapons, but cannot move and will still suffer damage from enemy fire. Nearer to the end of the battle, multiple players will be caged inside globes at once.

So, the raid requires a lot of communication simply because there are numerous situations that offer incredibly brief actionable windows. If you don't have a complete and total awareness of the situation, you will miss an opportunity. And that missed opportunity will either prolong an already protracted encounter, leading to odds being further and further stacked against the player team, or will lead to one or more players being killed instantaneously.

And I think what I saw was just the first of three major encounters.

Ultimately, the raid presents as a ferociously-involved combat puzzle. Bungie's penchant for having players incorporate and change engagement strategies in real time (e.g., needing the right gun for the right enemy, flanking and double teaming when necessary) gets turned up to its highest possible zenith.

It struck me as uncontrolled bedlam in a game that, otherwise, doesn't really condition its players to prepare for it.

Thanks for taking the time to sketch the outlines of the encounter. Interesting read for anyone interested in raid mechanics.

SkipperSonne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't always agree with what you say and what you cover, Patrick- but this was a great and timely interview.

Echozs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always love these type of articles, great job.

mr_creeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By mr_creeper

Came here to read this now that I'm geared for the raid. I've always found these clans that do world first to be quite interesting. Thanks for the great interview, @PatrickKlepek.