There needs to be WAY more of a stink over the pricing!!

• 80 results
Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Corvak

@hunkulese: not always.

WoW demands $40 for expansions but you never have to pay for the in-betweens. You dont have to buy one if you skip it, old content is given to everyone once its not the newest expansion anymore.

With Destiny you have to buy the two DLC packs before you can buy Taken King.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By spraynardtatum

It's not just about overpricing. It's about convoluted pricing. It's $40, $60, $80, and $100 depending on how you squint your eyes. That's shady and manipulative. I can't imagine it isn't intentional. When you have the resources of Activision and Bungie there is no way that you can't come up with something like this without carefully considering it. Time and time again we are provided with sterling examples of the exploitative nature of Destiny.

You don't have to agree that Destiny exploits its playerbase and I'm extremely happy for people that enjoy Destiny or don't find issue with any of it's manipulations. I know it's obnoxious seeing a whole bunch of negative nonsense being spouted online and it's the job of the people criticizing to carefully consider what we're saying. I don't think this thread is as "haters gonna hate" as many are claiming though.

The pricing for this game is ludicrous. Before it came out I saw multiple threads about how to even purchase this thing. People are/were/will be confused. There are so many tiers for this thing that it looks like a Kickstarter. For every well informed individual gamer there is at least one uninformed person just looking for the next shiny thing. Think of those people and their purchasing habits how you will but I don't think they deserve to be punished for the benefit of Activision/Bungie.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Aren't games the cheapest they've been, accounting for inflation?

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@shalashaskauk666: Dude I couldn't agree with your post anymore if I tried, its crazy the price you must pay if you just have the base game.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I'm completely fine with the pricing apart from the fact that they're screwing over the people that purchased the basegame. For people that never owned Destiny and want to try it out now, it's a decent price. But if your customer already paid 60$ for the game, you shouldn't punish him for not buying the DLC packs as well.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@evilsbane: How does that make sense? If you own the base game, your right, you did pay $60 for the base game, but you also didn't pay anything for either The Dark Below or House of Wolves. You are getting that content for half of it's value of $40+$40 for The Taken King when you buy The Legendary Edition at $60. Are you getting the steal of a deal that someone who never purchased base Destiny is, no, but it's not like your getting ripped off. Your getting two full quest lines that you can complete that have around 10 story missions, 3 Strikes (one of which is still one of the best in the game), a Raid, the Arena with 4 modes, and Trials of Osiris (when it launches back sometime soon according to Bungie). All of that for $20. How are players who only own base Destiny the ones being screwed, sounds to me like those are the players almost as lucky as new players.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By soulcake

I am gonna say it once more, fuck Destiny its a awful game with a bad long term plan. I don't get it why Brad keeps defending this awful piece of money grabbing skeleton of a game.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Zeik

@soulcake: Because he enjoys playing it obviously. There's nothing difficult to understand about that. There are countless games out there that I don't understand the appeal of, but I have the basic human intelligence to understand that an appeal does exist and whether I understand or agree with those feelings is irrelevant.

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Nime

@corvak: Uhhhh that's not true? In the past you've had to buy all of the expansions that had been released. They bundled them together over time but you still needed to buy them all. Now you don't but you still need the $20 base game in addition to the now _$50_ expansions.

Sounds pretty similar to Destiny to me. Being $40 if you're up to date or $60 if you're not seems totally reasonable to include what is basically an expansion/ sequel.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@kishinfoulux: Considering what they charged for the base game which was a joke these DLCs and "expansions" should be free. Then we could start talking.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Grixxel

Why? If you have that big of an issue with it then just don't buy it. Destiny is still the same piece of shit in a slightly different wrapper.

Avatar image for 7r3994n7even07even
7R3994N7EVeN07EVeN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh.... This game is one of if not the biggest gaming letdown's of my personal gaming "career". I had such high hopes for Bungies first release after the Halo franchise but i really am not seeing the appeal. It was incredibly repetitive and almost insulting how tiny the base game was. All the "dlc" should have just always been there in my opinion and im sure as hell not dumping another 60 bucks into a game i already dislike it is not at ALL what i was hoping for. Its a great idea really just poorly executed and this whole Taken King thing was the last straw for me. The game is almost pointless with no dlc because now you cant even do any of the weekly raids or strikes if yu don't have it. Im not happy with Bungie on this one theyve got far more potential.its like theyre marketing it in MMO style minus any of the benefits or aspects of an MMO aside from the lobby's where you can partake in thrilling gaming activities such as dancing near other people dancing or the edge of your seat action of sitting.. I love MMO's when done properly but the only MMO ish thing about Destiny is the way theyre selling it and with that said it would make more sense to just have a monthly fee what with their grandiose claims about it having a content life of 10+years.the gaming industry is taking a greedy turn for the worst theyre making things like this with some minor tweaks over and over that are by no means original or revolutionary(COD is a prime example) . Its just what they know people will eat up and then come back for more instead of taking chances with something new. Thats what it looks like to me at least and it sucks.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nime said:

@corvak: Uhhhh that's not true? In the past you've had to buy all of the expansions that had been released. They bundled them together over time but you still needed to buy them all. Now you don't but you still need the $20 base game in addition to the now _$50_ expansions.

Sounds pretty similar to Destiny to me. Being $40 if you're up to date or $60 if you're not seems totally reasonable to include what is basically an expansion/ sequel.

If it was WoW I wouldn't have to buy the expansion DLCs before Taken King. I would just buy base game and then Taken King.

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corvak: Sure that's the case now but wasn't for the majority of the game's life. If you wanted to buy MoP you had to buy every previous expansion.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By deerokus

A lot of comments here are missing the other point that the $ to £ conversion on this game is a bad joke. That 'bargain' legendary edition is actually more than a full price game at a whopping us$76 here, not $60.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corvak: the game stank before based on Price/Content and stank even more with the DLC pricings. Now people don't care anymore...

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I wonder if GameStop is still doing the deal where you trade your vanilla Destiny disk in and get $20 off The Taken King disk. Probably not, right?

I feel okay about buying into the game now, but I totally understand why anyone who played it last year and didn't touch either of the DLC packs would feel burned. I think Destiny is a little closer to the game we all want it to be with TTK. My problems are less about content and more a fundamental, existential "why am I even grinding? It's not like I have friends to go on the raid with."

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@deerokus said:

A lot of comments here are missing the other point that the $ to £ conversion on this game is a bad joke. That 'bargain' legendary edition is actually more than a full price game at a whopping us$76 here, not $60.

As someone from the US that is living in Europe for the time being and feels these weird price fluctuations first hand I can tell you that no one in the US is even aware of the fucked up pricing situation of games in Europe.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Fitzgerald

So, you should just do what I'm doing and not buy it.

I pre-ordered Destiny because I had a lot of faith that it would be a good game. I was not satisfied with the content in Destiny from Day One, so I stopped playing it.

If Bungie wants to give me the DLC up to this point *for free* then I'll play Destiny again. I paid sixty dollars for a base game that I don't play. On principal, I'm not going to pay more money for content that makes the game whole.

As a result, Bungie can put me in the "burned me once, lost me forever" category of consumer.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
@deerokus said:

As someone from the US that is living in Europe for the time being and feels these weird price fluctuations first hand I can tell you that no one in the US is even aware of the fucked up pricing situation of games in Europe.

@deerokus: As an American consumer who often hears about the weird pricing situation of games overseas it's hard to become outraged or even understand if and when pricing is outrageous for a product. That is why I generally don't address that part of the concern over these questions. Paying $76 for The Taken King does sound like a giant pile of garbage, but then again I don't have a knowledge base to try and understand the currency exchange for pounds and euros and how that correlates to changes in cost of living, etc. I'm not sure if this is correct or not but isn't the "pricing situation of games in Europe" something that you guys get boned on with pretty much every gaming company, or was there something particularly egregious about what happened with Destiny. I ask purely out of curiosity because as I stated I have extremely limited knowledge on this particular subject.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#72  Edited By Humanity

@hestilllives19: It is generally all games and ranges from acceptable to completely egregious. This is retail we are talking about. In the case of digital then it is completely fucked up and down the board with regular games costing as much as collectors editions at times. If you're a typical American that isn't planning on moving anywhere then honestly this stuff really shouldn't matter to you. At the same time it is a little ridiculous how some games end up costing an arm and a leg, especially when you convert currencies.

Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I enjoyed my time with Destiny at launch, but I'm never coming back unless they show some goodwill. I'm not spending a single dime on DLC for that game

hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I bought base Destiny for $110 here in Australia, mainly because I didn't have internet at the time so couldn't download it, and standard with $99 so decided to get the extra content.

Fortunately I was given the expansion content for free (freelance journalist), but at the time I sat back and thought if I had to pay the $40 for both of these expansions, I would be pretty pissed. There was still a lack of content, and at this point I would have dropped $150 on this game.

The Taken King was priced at $80 if you already had the base game here in Aus, or $99 for the Limited Edition with base, expansions and the new content. While I feel The Taken King is definitely worth money because it adds substantial content, this is definitely a lot of cash to drop on a game that has been sub-par up until this point.

stokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Yeah, I'm pretty upset about this too. I played a good bit of vanilla Destiny when it came out, hit 28, but never bought any of the DLC. Kinda want to get back in, but $60 for what is essentially adding like 40% more content to the base game is kinda ridiculous. That being said, going from 28-40 (or whatever the cap is) and playing all 3 expansions for the first time, roughly how much time would it take to get through all that content and hit max level (excluding maybe the new raid since I understand there will be some grinding involved to get there)?

Avatar image for deactivated-5efa8ebc3319a
deactivated-5efa8ebc3319a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is literally no excuse for them to make the DLC $40 dollars, when vanilla players had to pay $60 for the base game, and $40 for the two expansions after that, ESPECIALLY when new players can pop down $60 bucks and get everything right there and then. Bungie is screwing their dedicated Destiny playerbase fucking hard. I don't see how people could see this any other way. It should have been at most another $20 bucks only, which is still ridiculous.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Hestilllives19

@stokes: To only play all of that content once, and doing all of those quests, I'd say your looking at around 3 hours for Dark Below Story (longer if you do the entire Urn Questline), 4.5 hours for House of Wolves story, 20 min each for all 3 strikes, 30 min for Crota's End (with an experienced group), and roughly 30 min for each variation of the Arena (6 Varients). So grand total for the old DLC is roughly 12 hours worth of one time content not including playing Trials if you are into competitive PvP, which should come back next month sometime. Then the new content, which is hard to say, because I don't think we have even found it all yet, like the extra story mission found in Wednesday's Daily story, but probably 25-30 hours of unique content. I've put far more into it than that though just trying to get a character to the mid 290's to finish King's Fall. Destiny is very much the type of game that you can either just run through the main story and feel ripped off, or play it everyday for 3 hours and feel like your taking advantage of Bungie, it's all about how you play it. Personally, I put so much ridiculous time into Year 1 of Destiny, I have absolutely zero problems with the cost of it, it was well worth the money. But I got heavy into Raids, collecting all of the Exotics, and clan stuff. Not everyone does that. To each their own.

stokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

@hestilllives19: Alright, thanks. That's what I was looking for. I was way into it when it came out, but it's really just like me and one other friend, so we never got into the raids. Also, the raid came out right when I started losing interest because I was level 28 and it felt impossible to get higher. At what level could you 2 man some of the old raids?

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stokes: You could 2 man Vault with a Sunsinger at 40, but it would be very difficult. But Crota is easy to solo now at 40, so two man should be pretty simple. Just look up some youtube videos about it.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

There is literally no excuse for them to make the DLC $40 dollars, when vanilla players had to pay $60 for the base game, and $40 for the two expansions after that, ESPECIALLY when new players can pop down $60 bucks and get everything right there and then. Bungie is screwing their dedicated Destiny player base fucking hard. I don't see how people could see this any other way. It should have been at most another $20 bucks only, which is still ridiculous.

Well, the excuse is they can get that price to be paid.

Look at this forums thread, two measly pages with half the people talking about other topics. There is no outrage, people are grumpy, but willing to pay. No amount of call to arms will make people protest about something they are indifferent about. Bungie is justified tio asking the price because they "bet correctly" they could extract that amount out of people. They don't need an excuse to ask what the market will bare.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is how MMOs work.

@rafaelfc said:

It's a game for crazy people anyway...

Checks out