What class are you playing?

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Poll What class are you playing? (65 votes)

Druid 15%
Barbarian 14%
Sorceror 14%
Rogue 22%
Necromancer 28%
I'm playing Grim Dawn 8%

Say what you see!

Why is your class the best?

• 
mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

since D2 i've started with barbies, no reason to stop now.

who doesn't love a WOMAN STRONG LIKE MOOSE.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I've tried them all. Playing Necromancer single player so I can do the story. Playing Druid with my wife who doesnt give two fucks about the story. I dabled with all the classes until level 12 or so before deciding. So far Druid is my favorite by an overwhelming majority. I dont really find any of the other classes to be that fun at all to be honest. I dont think I'd even be able to play the game with either of them... maybe that tune would change at higher levels. Just not a lot of abilities that interest me or that I look forward to getting.

Necromancer is propped up by the kinetic satisfaction of Corpse Explosion.

Druid feels like the Monk and the Crusader from D3 which were my favorites there as well.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play as a cheerleader for a 9 man team of rowdy undead.

The game calls this a Necromancer, a class with actual abilities apparently, but I'm not so sure.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I decided to go with the druid, focusing on werebear skills with one ranged elemental skill depending on gear. I just hit level 40 today and I'm really enjoying it so far. I feel pretty fancy and like I can deal damage.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played Sorc first and got to tier 4/level 70 with him, but then I started playing with all the others, I've got them all to at least level 20. So far Druid is my second-favorite, then Necro, then Rogue, then Barb (Barb seems really, really dull and weak at low levels).

But honestly, things could change. I've found that around when you reach tier 3/level 50 and start to dial in a cohesive build with all legendary items, characters start to feel drastically different than they did in the early game. So I wouldn't be surprised if I started to like some of the characters that I dislike now, after I progress them more.

DarthCaidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Originally I wanted to just transform into a werebear and werewolf, just cause. Am now at LV 52 and shifted to a more storm caller with poison creepers build. Druid is so fun but I really wanna try Rogue and Necro before S1 to get an idea how I'll roll into that when the time comes.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I just hit 50 with my rogue yesterday. I wasn't sure I was gonna stick with it at first but I'm glad I did. Once all the skills start coming together, it is immensely satisfying. Making a huge crowd explode via a rain of arrows with shadow imbuement is awesome. I really like the crowd control skills the class has. I'm still a long way from getting all the aspects or even having a full suite of good gear, since the game loves to mainly drop loot that is 8 to 15 levels below what you're at. Looking forward to finishing the campaign and jumping into the endgame stuff. I plan on trying the Sorcerer next.

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the game loves to mainly drop loot that is 8 to 15 levels below what you're at.

FWIW the level requirement is a fairly irrelevant indicator of how good a piece of gear is, especially once you've completed the capstone and hit tier 3. Item power is the "real number." For tier 3, "Sacred" gear falls in an item power range of around 600-700. If you find a piece of gear that's in the top third of that range and has good affixes, you're good to keep using it all the way to tier 4 at level 70.

Honestly, I kind of appreciate that the level req on items during the grind to 50 tends to be about 10 levels below, because it means you can save particularly good gear for alt characters, and they can then use it way before they're really supposed to be able to and be overpowered for a while. Just don't make the mistake of inserting a high-level gem into a low level req piece of gear, because the level req will increase to whatever the gem level is, and won't decrease when you take it out.

But yeah, it is interesting how the game feels like it really changes around level 50. You're getting enough legendary drops at that point that things do really start to come together into more cohesive and effective builds. I definitely changed some skills etc for my Sorcerer around then, and suddenly felt like I got way more effective.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Undeadpool

If you give me the option to play a werewolf, I will play a werewolf.

Every time.

I'm adoring it, I roll with a pair of wolves and some ruthless vines to deal with groups, when me and my friends roll together, I'm a perfect midpoint between tank and DPS and the game really started making sense after I specialized instead of trying to do a "jack of all trades" build.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheRealTurk

The more I'm getting into the endgame, the more I'm feeling that the fundamental leveling experience is flawed in some foundational ways.

For one, I thought the 1-50 experience absolutely sucked. It was grindy, you never felt like you could get on top of the power curve, the skill twig (it feels unfair to call it a tree) was disappointingly basic, and you were entirely reliant on RNG drops to try and fill out your build. I was never excited to level up 1-50 because I knew that I was always going to feel weaker than I did a few seconds ago and whatever points I could put into the twig were going to make such a marginal difference they basically didn't matter (3 extra Mana on a Sorceress . . . hooray?)

Then I got to 50 and the experience started to change for the better.

For one, even a single basic node on the Paragon board is vastly more interesting than anything you could do 1-50. Choosing your path around the board actually gave you something to think about, and you can pursue bonuses that actually matter for your build.

Basically, I think this game would be way better if the Paragon Boards were just the entire leveling system.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been mostly playing as a Druid but started a Sorc to play co op with a friend. I really like the Druid because I can kinda spec to whatever type I feel like playing. Do I feel like going melee for a bit? Change to Werebear/Wolf skills. Feel like being a ranged sorc? Swap to Storm/Earth spells. Companions are available, too.

The Sorc is okay, so far, but I'm only level 12. I've been focusing on Fire spells even though I know the meta is around Ice. It was mentioned earlier though, and the ranged targeting system with a controller is awful. I don't remember it being nearly this big of an issue in d3 on switch (and only ever played d2 with m+k). But considering how many Shamans appear in the early game, and how annoying they are of not taken care of quickly, I really wish there was a better system in place, but I also don't even know what that would look like. Like, the controls for targeting make sense, but it just feels more sensitive when not locked on and difficult to swap to the right enemy once I've initiated lock-on. So I usually just run around until I see the right health bar at the top, lock on, rinse and repeat, which isn't THAT big of a deal. Just a little annoying at times.

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealturk:Yeah, the grind to level 50 can definitely be a slog. Both my Sorcerer and Druid are now past 50, but I've got the other three characters somewhere between 25 and 35, and I'm really not looking forward to getting them up to snuff. At this point it feels like homework I have to do before they become fun.

And yeah, some of those skill tree passives actually are somewhat impactful, but others aren't. And a single rare node on the paragon board does so much more for you than any point on the skill tree. E.g., the Rogue has a passive in the skill tree that gives something like +3% vulnerable damage per point, up to three points, whereas there are rare nodes on the paragon board that give you 20% or more.

@noboners: I think you likely already know this, but the most important thing for a Sorc during the grind to level 50 is to unlock the Enchantment system and then use the Fireball one, which will cause enemies to explode when you kill them. That one enchantment single-handedly makes the Sorc probably the most powerful/appealing class for sub tier 3 play, because you can just obliterate mobs in no time flat. At higher levels there are better uses of your two enchantment slots, but it sure is fun to blow stuff up.