Achievement Rarity Calculation Discussion

TigerDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TigerDX

In response to discussion on the Bombcast of calculation regarding achievement rarity - among other things - I would argue that the calculation would benefit from taking into account the number of users who have achievements in the game containing the achievement in question.

I think at the moment, the rarity calculation is applied wholesale across all people who have the game on their profile. However, this skews the rarity representation particularly where Xbox Live Arcade games are concerned, in which many people played the trial, but didn't buy the game and will always have zero achievements in that game. To this end, using only people who have achievements in any given game would give a better representation, since this is pretty much the only way to guarantee a person actually has that game.

So for example:

x = #peopleWhoHaveAchievement
y = #peopleWhoHaveAchievementsInGame
z = achievementPercentage

(x / y) * 100 = z

Then you apply your ranges for percentages that make an achievement rare / uncommon / common.

The current system is certainly something similar to this. I just can't believe so many people bought Rez and then never played it!

Thanks

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

Uh... how do you think they do it? Snide (I think) posted the percentages somewhere. I don't remember them exactly, but they use a formula just like that. :-S

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

You're suggesting exactly what the system is. It's a rare achievement if less than 10% of people who have the game have the achievement. It's an uncommon achievement if less than 30% of people who have the game have the achievement.

TigerDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TigerDX

And yet...

Games that are unplayed in the majority have almost 100% rare achievements, which appears to be a calculation based on all people, rather than people who have achievements in that game.

There has been a tweet regarding awareness of rarity issues, so I suspect they have noticed this problem.

Thank you for your time, patience and sarcasm. Oh, and for not understanding the problem addressed.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Xeiphyer

I have a somewhat on topic question, With the rarer achievements they tend to be ones that are listed as secret normally on the xbox achievements list, is there any way to have them show their real name and/or description? Its rather annoying not knowing what my rare/uncommon achievements are because they are all listed as secret.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Xeiphyer said:
" I have a somewhat on topic question, With the rarer achievements they tend to be ones that are listed as secret normally on the xbox achievements list, is there any way to have them show their real name and/or description? Its rather annoying not knowing what my rare/uncommon achievements are because they are all listed as secret. "
I believe this is a limitation of the Xbox Live API.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Xeiphyer

Ah I figured as much, sucks though. Thanks for the info

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Jayge_
@TigerDX said:
" And yet...Games that are unplayed in the majority have almost 100% rare achievements, which appears to be a calculation based on all people, rather than people who have achievements in that game.There has been a tweet regarding awareness of rarity issues, so I suspect they have noticed this problem.Thank you for your time, patience and sarcasm. Oh, and for not understanding the problem addressed. "
Thank you for not understanding the fact that we understood what you were talking about and told you that you were ignorant of how things worked. There may be issues, but that doesn't negate the fact that the system you described was what they apparently already had in place. Sensitive much?
jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By jeff
@TigerDX: Achievement rarity is calculated on a per-game basis. There was a previous issue where player numbers weren't calculating properly, which was skewing some of the rarity. That's been corrected.
TigerDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TigerDX
@Jeff: Thanks for clearing that up, Jeff

And thanks to all others who responded positively to this discussion.