Where's my Fallout 4, godpupit!

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By McGhee

What's up? Been mostly out of the loop for a while, watching videos when I can and listening to the Bombcast. But one thing had me interested in E3 and that was the prospect of a Fallout 4 announcement.

I have not had time to watch any of the GB E3 content yet, and I'm saving up the podcasts for a trip I'm taking next week. So I'll ask you duders, what's the word on Fallout 4? Anything? Even a denial of its existence? It's obviously not been revealed but has there been any good speculation?

It takes a lot for me to get excited about games anymore and the prospect of a new Fallout feels like the only thing that can get me to freak out about a game.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Lots of silly theories and "leaks", but I don't think we're anywhere near a Fallout 4 announcement.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I don't think that's going to be a thing anytime soon. Until they have an almost feature complete game, I doubt we'd see anything anytime soon.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Todd Howard has gone on record this year saying not to expect news on their next game for a while. I doubt we'll see anything until 2015.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might be remembering this wrong, but aren't they kind of traditionally tight lipped on their projects? Like, we'll get a teaser twelve months out, then a cinematic trailers six months, then the game. I don't really remember them doing much in the way of extended pre-release gameplay trailers.

Either way, give it time. Let them get their footing on these new consoles and really push things.

BatmanBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Keirgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Keirgo

@friendlyphoenix said:

Todd Howard has gone on record this year saying not to expect news on their next game for a while. I doubt we'll see anything until 2015.

^ Pretty much this.

Personally, I don't think we will get any kind of teaser until late this year at the earliest, but it's probably more of a foolish hope on my part.

Also, was it Todd who said they have been watching what the modding community has been doing with Skyrim?. That would be great if Bethesda learned a thing or two from them, the community have been doing some truly amazing mods.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#9 FinalDasa  Moderator

They just got through Elder Scrolls Online and Wolfenstein, they have Doom, Evil Within, and a few other projects going. I think the "main team" was the ESO team so I'd imagine if Fallout 4 was the next to be made they're only just starting. Despite some company's efforts to announce and show off games that are still only concepts I think Fallout is a game you wait a bit on before announcing because their fans would have a ton of very specific questions.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

It's not yours! You don't own the IP!

Joke aside, I think I'd better wait for Bethesda to figure out the consoles and techs first before starting Fallout 3. We gotta admit that Fallout 3 and Skyrim have been very buggy in some consoles / DLCs.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I would not expect to hear anything until next year, and not to expect it out until 2016 at the earliest.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Calling it now.

Announcement trailer at the VGA's. Then stuff at the next E3. holiday 2015 release.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

They just got through Elder Scrolls Online and Wolfenstein, they have Doom, Evil Within, and a few other projects going. I think the "main team" was the ESO team so I'd imagine if Fallout 4 was the next to be made they're only just starting. Despite some company's efforts to announce and show off games that are still only concepts I think Fallout is a game you wait a bit on before announcing because their fans would have a ton of very specific questions.

Eh? Bethesda the developer didn't have anything to do with Wolfenstein, Doom, or Evil Within. Those are all the projects of other development teams, published by Bethesda the publisher. I don't know how much Bethesda the developer had to do with Elder Scrolls Online, but I thought the majority of the work was under the umbrella of somebody else.

Anyway, I hope the next Fallout turns out to be pretty great, though I hope it isn't necessarily called "Fallout 4". We've got Fallout 1, 2, Tactics, Brotherhood of Steel, 3, and New Vegas. I know video games do this all the time, but can we please decide on numbers or subtitles and not mix the two?

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#14 FinalDasa  Moderator

@believer258: I thought that sounded weird when I read it lol I've always confused the publisher with the developer, I just hear the name. My point though was they are still busy developing other games and any Fallout game is sure to be too early in development to be anything of note or announcement yet.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By crithon

That was a dirty dirty dirty rumor set up by trolls.

If it's not announced during Quake World, then it's probably the VGA's

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DystopiaX

A couple years out. Like I think they've been working on it for awhile but those games always take hella time, especially if it's next-gen only.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa: But Bethesda proper has not been making any games, the blanket head publisher has been publishing games, but thats a completely different branch. I'd be very surprised if work on FO4 didnt start shortly after skyrim was released.

Oblivion 2006. Fallout 3 2008, Skyrim 2011...it feels like it should be showing up very soon. Bethesda (the devs) have not been working on anything else since then (that i'm aware of?), granted im sure they had some dudes consult on New Vegas and ES:O.

I think you're mixing the publishing branch and the development branch up.

Plus, they explicitly said they wanted to make alot of fallout games, its why the bought the IP. I'd bet alot of money it shows up at the VGA's.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

NO FALLOUT 4 YOU.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keirgo said:

Also, was it Todd who said they have been watching what the modding community has been doing with Skyrim?. That would be great if Bethesda learned a thing or two from them, the community have been doing some truly amazing mods.

Its pretty likely, many of the features in New Vegas like ironsighting and crafting started as Fallout 3 mods and Obsidian made them official. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Bethesda do the same.

Keirgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Keirgo

@president_barackbar said:

Its pretty likely, many of the features in New Vegas like ironsighting and crafting started as Fallout 3 mods and Obsidian made them official. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Bethesda do the same.

I very much hope they do, I would personally like them to incorporate and expand upon immersion mods like wet & cold, foot prints, realistic needs and diseases, frostfall, etc... Obsidian went a small step in that direction in New Vegas with hardcore mode, but it was a bit basic. I just find that these mods/modes, while seeming insignificant, add greatly to the experience of feeling like a part of the world in Skyrim.

@clonedzero said:

I think you're mixing the publishing branch and the development branch up.

Indeed, Bethesda Softworks is the publishing side, while Bethesda Game Studios is the internal development team behind Skyrim, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Morrowind, and so on. While Elder Scrolls Online on the other hand, was developed by Zenimax Online Studios, and published by Bethesda Softworks. Confusing, is it not? :)

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, likely not gonna see that one for quite some time.

Heh, it's kinda weird to think that Bethesda's first big next-gen game will be Fallout and not ES VI.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My completely uneducated guess is that we'll get a teaser/announcement trailer at this year's VGAs. I'm sure Bethesda liked how Skyrim was the talk of the event, completely overshadowing everything else at that show.

The good thing about a teaser/announcement at the VGAs is that it'll mean Fallout 4 is only a year out. Bethesda is rather good about not announcing/revealing their work until they're far enough along where it doesn't seem like everything will catch on fire and delay the game. It happened with Oblivion (first shown E3 2005, released May 2006), Fallout 3 (first shown E3 2007, released October 2008) and again with Skyrim (revealed December 2010, released 11/11/11). At this point I'm willing to put my dick on the table and say that Fallout 4 will see a release in October/November 2015. It'll go right on schedule what with Bethesda taking 3 years per dev cycle for their games.

I'm really excited for Fallout 4 you guys please hold me

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did a mod really edit the title from goddammit to godpupit?

Is that a bad attempt at a joke or is this a whole new jackboot mod censorship thing? Jesus, whats happening to this site :(

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@clonedzero said:

Is that a bad attempt at a joke or is this a whole new jackboot mod censorship thing? Jesus, whats happening to this site :(

A mod (@mb I believe) got the idea to change all swears/curses/cusses/words like "fuck" in a thread title to some form of "puppy" several months ago. It's better than deleting the thread or renaming it to something generic. Swears aren't allowed in thread titles. Not sure why, but I appreciate the humour all the same.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By mike

@clonedzero said:

I wasn't the one that changed it...but it's clearly a joke. Talk about overreacting.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Clonedzero

@mb: This over saturation of pups will be our downfall dont you understand?!

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I would not be too shocked if we see another Elder Scrolls game before we see Fallout 4. I know it would break their alternation, but Skyrim was a genuinely massive hit for them (far moreso than Fallout 3), it's a new gen, and Elder Scrolls would be the safer bet I think.

Fallout 4 is still most likely to come next I suppose, but I don't consider it a given.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@jimbo: Fallout 4 is farther ahead in development though.

gamerpigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's in development

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimbo said:

I would not be too shocked if we see another Elder Scrolls game before we see Fallout 4. I know it would break their alternation, but Skyrim was a genuinely massive hit for them (far moreso than Fallout 3), it's a new gen, and Elder Scrolls would be the safer bet I think.

Fallout 4 is still most likely to come next I suppose, but I don't consider it a given.

Skyrim has sold in excess of 20 million copies as of this past January. It's safe to say that Skyrim is Bethesda's best sellinggame ever. Fallout 3 was no slouch either with 5 million sold as of winter 2009 (that's the most current info I can get on sales, sadly). Oblivion sold something like 3.5 million (that's not lifetime sales, mind, those are harder to get).

Point is, while Skyrim was a fucking monster and has put Bethesda in rare company in terms of best selling games, Fallout 3 wasn't a slouch for them, either. In fact, it sold more than Oblivion did from what I can find. They're making Fallout 4, in part because Todd Howard (the guy who runs BGS) is a huge fan of Fallout, and in part because Fallout 3 was their best selling game before Skyrim.

And really, if any at Bethesda is worried about Fallout sales (lol), I imagine all it would take to remedy those concerns is to slap a "FROM THE MAKERS OF SKYRIM" in front of all their ads.

TL;DR DON'T KILL MY DREAM.