Avatar image for stuart_scofield
Stuart_Scofield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Stuart_Scofield

So here we are, another NHL game. This time though, there's no official teams, no official stadiums, no additional game modes, and no rules. Just you, either the Red or Blue team, versus the colour you didn't choose in the same stadium.

The controls are simple, with two options available. Button controls offer simplicity and ease, whereas the elite Skill Stick is more reminiscent of the official full Hockey titles. You get more options, tricks and moves which consequently gives you more ways to approach your goal (destroying the opponent or scoring) and works really well. Checks are flamboyant and powerful, often sending the victim across the full width of the court. Shooting is simple, but the goalkeepers are surpsingly good at keeping out shots and do get frustrating after pummeling them with shots. These can be spiced up with trick shots and trick moves, which add a bit of variety into the eventual 325 attempted shots at goal.

40 players are on hand to check and trip, and although they're assigned ratings; fast - quick and agile, strong - takes hits better or all round - a combination of both - teams always feel the same. They have no defining features, and although this could show the users skill more predominantly through fielding the correct players, there's no feel of worth towards the little guys.

Power-ups have been added to help the flow of this crazy arcade game. They appear when you check some punk so hard that it falls out of his pocket. There are 8 in total, including 'Big Player', 'Big Goalie', 'Small Goalie' and 'Double Score'. They serve their purpose really well, as at times a choice needs to be made on whether you go for the puck, or the power-up, with either being rewarding. To activate the power-up that you pushed out of the punks pocket, skate over it put it to use. My personal favourite is Super Speed, as the only thing I used it for was powering in to people to get more power-ups.

I enjoy seeing my guys career in to each other with hilarious outcomes, and their cartoony look plays out well when put in conjunction with power-ups and insane checks. The only thing I am unhappy about is the lack of game modes and teams, as single player wise, NHL Arcade 3 on 3 isn't up to scratch. Multiplayer is extremely fun, and grabbing the 'Small Goalie' powerup right near the end of a 3-3 game to win is almost golden. Perhaps if more options were included and more licensed things such as teams and stadiums, we'd have a far better game on our hands.

+ Fun online
+ Hilarious OTT gameplay

- No depth whatsoever
- No actual teams
- Gets boring fast

6/10

Avatar image for stuart_scofield
Stuart_Scofield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Stuart_Scofield

So here we are, another NHL game. This time though, there's no official teams, no official stadiums, no additional game modes, and no rules. Just you, either the Red or Blue team, versus the colour you didn't choose in the same stadium.

The controls are simple, with two options available. Button controls offer simplicity and ease, whereas the elite Skill Stick is more reminiscent of the official full Hockey titles. You get more options, tricks and moves which consequently gives you more ways to approach your goal (destroying the opponent or scoring) and works really well. Checks are flamboyant and powerful, often sending the victim across the full width of the court. Shooting is simple, but the goalkeepers are surpsingly good at keeping out shots and do get frustrating after pummeling them with shots. These can be spiced up with trick shots and trick moves, which add a bit of variety into the eventual 325 attempted shots at goal.

40 players are on hand to check and trip, and although they're assigned ratings; fast - quick and agile, strong - takes hits better or all round - a combination of both - teams always feel the same. They have no defining features, and although this could show the users skill more predominantly through fielding the correct players, there's no feel of worth towards the little guys.

Power-ups have been added to help the flow of this crazy arcade game. They appear when you check some punk so hard that it falls out of his pocket. There are 8 in total, including 'Big Player', 'Big Goalie', 'Small Goalie' and 'Double Score'. They serve their purpose really well, as at times a choice needs to be made on whether you go for the puck, or the power-up, with either being rewarding. To activate the power-up that you pushed out of the punks pocket, skate over it put it to use. My personal favourite is Super Speed, as the only thing I used it for was powering in to people to get more power-ups.

I enjoy seeing my guys career in to each other with hilarious outcomes, and their cartoony look plays out well when put in conjunction with power-ups and insane checks. The only thing I am unhappy about is the lack of game modes and teams, as single player wise, NHL Arcade 3 on 3 isn't up to scratch. Multiplayer is extremely fun, and grabbing the 'Small Goalie' powerup right near the end of a 3-3 game to win is almost golden. Perhaps if more options were included and more licensed things such as teams and stadiums, we'd have a far better game on our hands.

+ Fun online
+ Hilarious OTT gameplay

- No depth whatsoever
- No actual teams
- Gets boring fast

6/10

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3