Previous 5 Games

No Caption Provided

#21: Advance Wars

Platform(s): GBA
Release: 2001
Developer(s): Intelligent Systems
Best Quote: Can't remember
GB Wiki Page

I never owned a GBA so when I got my DS I went back and played many games that I'd missed out on. Advance Wars was one of those games. I heard lots of people saying great things about it so I was eager to give it a try. For those who haven't played it AW is a turn-based strategy game in which you control an army.

Strategy is definitely needed if you want to complete the game as a wrong move can cause you a lot of problem. What I really liked about the game was how vibrant and colourful everything was, it really makes the game more fun to play. While I never finished AW the story was also a part of the game I liked as it wasn't predictable, from as far as I'd played. I've been meaning to play the latest games in the series which came out for the DS but it's a game where you have to play for quite a while but the DS isn't the system which I spend a lot of time on.

No Caption Provided

#22: Sonic the Hedgehog

Platform(s): Mega Drive, Master System, XBLA, VC, iPhone and GBA
Release: 1991
Developer(s): Sonic Team
Best Quote: None
GB Wiki Page

He may be nothing compared to his original self these days but Sonic is still one of the most iconic gaming mascots of all time and it's all because of this game. Sonic the Hedgehog was 'edgier' and had more of an 'attitude' compared to Nintendo owned rival but most importantly he was in good platformers (until Sonic & Knuckles at least).

The best part of Sonic is the speed and the ability to race through levels. It was handy that the levels themselves were well designed so that you could go fast. That's what made Sonic fun and it's so frustrating that we have to suffer through endless bad games in the series just because Sonic Team wants to try out crappy new ideas. I just can't understand why they don't stick to what makes Sonic what it is.

No Caption Provided

#23: DOOM

Platform(s): PC, XBLA, PS1, iPhone, SNES and several others
Release: 1993
Developer(s): id Software
GB Wiki Page

This is the granddaddy of all FPSs (well technically it's Wolfenstein 3D but this was better and more popular). A true classic DOOM had all the things that modern shooters have but before they became generic: It had a space marine as the main character, it had demons, it had big guns, it had multiplayer, it had mods and most importantly it was all in three-dimensions.

DOOM isn't just great because of it's legacy. It's and FPS which hold up to this day, maybe not graphically (which still looks ok) but in terms of what actually matters - the gameplay. No wonder the game is still doing well on services such as XBLA, it just goes to show that if you focus on your game mechanics you can make a timeless product which will be fun more then a decade after its release.

23 down 342 to go.
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By mracoon

365 Games To Play Before You Die

Previous 5 Games

No Caption Provided

#21: Advance Wars

Platform(s): GBA
Release: 2001
Developer(s): Intelligent Systems
Best Quote: Can't remember
GB Wiki Page

I never owned a GBA so when I got my DS I went back and played many games that I'd missed out on. Advance Wars was one of those games. I heard lots of people saying great things about it so I was eager to give it a try. For those who haven't played it AW is a turn-based strategy game in which you control an army.

Strategy is definitely needed if you want to complete the game as a wrong move can cause you a lot of problem. What I really liked about the game was how vibrant and colourful everything was, it really makes the game more fun to play. While I never finished AW the story was also a part of the game I liked as it wasn't predictable, from as far as I'd played. I've been meaning to play the latest games in the series which came out for the DS but it's a game where you have to play for quite a while but the DS isn't the system which I spend a lot of time on.

No Caption Provided

#22: Sonic the Hedgehog

Platform(s): Mega Drive, Master System, XBLA, VC, iPhone and GBA
Release: 1991
Developer(s): Sonic Team
GB Wiki Page

He may be nothing compared to his original self these days but Sonic is still one of the most iconic gaming mascots of all time and it's all because of this game. Sonic the Hedgehog was 'edgier' and had more of an 'attitude' compared to Nintendo owned rival but most importantly he was in good platformers (until Sonic & Knuckles at least).

The best part of Sonic is the speed and the ability to race through levels. It was handy that the levels themselves were well designed so that you could go fast. That's what made Sonic fun and it's so frustrating that we have to suffer through endless bad games in the series just because Sonic Team wants to try out crappy new ideas. I just can't understand why they don't stick to what makes Sonic what it is.

No Caption Provided

#23: DOOM

Platform(s): PC, XBLA, PS1, iPhone, SNES and several others
Release: 1993
Developer(s): id Software
GB Wiki Page

This is the granddaddy of all FPSs (well technically it's Wolfenstein 3D but this was better and more popular). A true classic DOOM had all the things that modern shooters have but before they became generic: It had a space marine as the main character, it had demons, it had big guns, it had multiplayer, it had mods and most importantly it was all in three-dimensions.

DOOM isn't just great because of it's legacy. It's and FPS which hold up to this day, maybe not graphically (which still looks ok) but in terms of what actually matters - the gameplay. No wonder the game is still doing well on services such as XBLA, it just goes to show that if you focus on your game mechanics you can make a timeless product which will be fun more then a decade after its release.

23 down 342 to go.
TheLazyPyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheLazyPyro

Oh, hey! 3 games I played! Sweet! 

Yet out of the 5 last ones I've only played The Movies. Jeez, must be one hell of a list to make.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#3  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Three great picks.  I've yet to play an Advance Wars, but I'm looking forward to picking one of them up when I've got some extra cash.
AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By AgentofChaos

Wow, I'm glad you put advance wars on there, that is a good game that doesn't quite get enough respect.