3DS Single Analog Stick

AutomaticOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AutomaticOwl

Most critics of the Sony PSP might list its single analog stick as the most glaring and worst flaw the platform has going against it. And many say that if a PSP2 features only a single analog stick, Sony shouldn't even bother releasing it. I'm paraphrasing, of course.  

So, why is it okay for Nintendo to release the 3DS with a single analog stick? 

Scapegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Scapegoat

Because most DS games utilize the touchscreen to some effect I guess?

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By aleryn

Japan.  Lack of interest in FPS.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Because the DS relies on its touch screen for most of the control implementation in its games and it uses it efficiently most of the time.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By yinstarrunner

A single analog stick is fine for a handheld device.  The problem lies in developers desperately trying to fit console experiences onto a portable system.  That's when the most egregious control problems arise.  If people could understand how the two are so different, they could develop their games accordingly and avoid most of the problems.

My biggest problem with the PSP was not the single analog stick, it was that the analog stick was so fucking UNCOMFORTABLE.  It hurt my thumbs after a half-hour of use.  Apparently the DS has a nicer, CONCAVE one. 

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By aleryn
@gakon5:  @gakon5 said:

" Do people want games that require dual-analog on handhelds? "

Yes.  I would love a portable FPS with graphics as GOOD as the 3DS.  A third person shooter would work too.  And just in general having a camera stick would be nice.  I understand why Japan probably will never do it, but man it'd be nice.  Just imagine a portable fast paced Multiplayer Halo style FPS that works over 30' bluetooth/etc.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Vinny_Says

ummm....obviously because your holding the stylus in the other hand...duh!

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho

The 3DS won't need to rely on ports and shit as much. You add a second nub, and now people are bitching that there are only 2 shoulder buttons. 

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By yinstarrunner
@Aleryn said:
" @gakon5:  @gakon5 said:

Yes.  I would love a portable FPS with graphics as GOOD as the 3DS.  A third person shooter would work too.  And just in general having a camera stick would be nice.  I understand why Japan probably will never do it, but man it'd be nice.  Just imagine a portable fast paced Multiplayer Halo style FPS that works over 30' bluetooth/etc. "
Imagine playing a fast paced multiplayer FPS on a 50" big screen television from the comfort of your own home.  
Now imagine that, but with crappier controls and a tiny ass screen.  Welcome to FPS on handhelds.  Enjoy your stay.
Tomkang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Tomkang

I would like the 3DS fps controls to be: 3DS- Works for both Left and Right handed -Analog stick/ABXY- Move -Touch pad- Look/ Swap Weapon/ Grenade -Dpad- Swap Weapon/ Grenade -L/R- Shoot/ Aim

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I think anybody declaring that the single analog stick is the PSPs biggest flaw is seriously missing something, the main issue with the PSP is them trying to stick full console games onto a handheld. Personally I think the placement of the d-pad and analog stick on the 3DS looks like it could cause problems but I'll wait until I actually use one before deciding my position on that, I think the single analog stick in itself is not a flaw. In fact the only reason you'd want two analog sticks on that console is if you were trying to fit full console experiences onto a handheld, the exact thing which seemed to drive the PSP into the ground.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By agentboolen

Its not!  They should have 2 analog sticks.  So the system is definitely going to have a touch screen?  Touch screen is good for some games but they really do need that 2nd analog stick IMO.  The whole 3d gimmick it has going for it is really going to bring a lot of game series to it, and not using a 2nd analog is definitely going to make some games not play correctly.  I'd put my money on this system being good at some types of games and bad at others just because of the missing analog.  Why not do it right in the first place?

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Three0neFive
@yinstarrunner said:
" @Aleryn said:

Yes.  I would love a portable FPS with graphics as GOOD as the 3DS.  A third person shooter would work too.  And just in general having a camera stick would be nice.  I understand why Japan probably will never do it, but man it'd be nice.  Just imagine a portable fast paced Multiplayer Halo style FPS that works over 30' bluetooth/etc. "
Imagine playing a fast paced multiplayer FPS on a 50" big screen television from the comfort of your own home.   Now imagine that, but with crappier controls and a tiny ass screen.  Welcome to FPS on handhelds.  Enjoy your stay. "
Imagine playing a fast-paced multiplayer FPS on any size screen from the comfort of your own home.

Now imagine that, but with crappier, less precise, slower controls and worse graphics and framerate. Welcome to FPS on console. Enjoy your casual.

Seriously, people who think console shooters are the epitome of good controls and graphics make me LOL.
yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By yinstarrunner
@Three0neFive:   I'm a PC gamer first and foremost.  No need to lecture me on console limitations.  I'm just trying to say something most of the people on this site could relate to.
Camurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Camurai

I think when the PSP was marketed as, or at least received as at its release, a console experience on a handheld, the anti one analog stick argument was fueled. A lot of the time it's not that the PSP has one, its that it doesn't have two.

The 3DS isn't expected to be as perfect an experience as some people wanted on the PSP. Partly because of the 3D component and because of Nintendo's reputation for making 'casual' games. That and the type of games played on a DS usually aren't as control intensive so it's a lot easier to bypass the analog completely without losing too much from the overall experience.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By Hailinel
@Aleryn said:

Why would I want to play games in a genre better suited to consoles and PCs on a handheld device capable of providing me experiences that are physically impossible on modern consoles?
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Diamond

Why does everything have to be black and white guys?  Jesus...