A Certain Type of RPG

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By MysteriousBob

I was wondering if anyone knew of my ideal RPG. 

I used to hate the genre until I actually, you know, tried it. I fell in love with Fallout 3 last year and its perhaps my favourite game of this gen. 
Upon trying to find a similar experience, I haven't really found any. What I like is the ability to go anywhere and really make my character my own. I want the character to develop through gameplay (I'm not talking about character creation) so its a unique individual. I want an RPG where every playthrough is different. A game you chat to friends about asking them what choices they  made and what they did compared to you. Making your own story. 

Most other RPGs are either too linear or really don't let you do much with your character.

I enjoy Final Fantasy V because the job system really lets you customise your character. Its not just choosing a job- you can mix and match abilities and it gives you something to work for. 
Deus Ex gives you the whole "choose how you play" thing perfectly although its obviously more action-oriented. 
Oblivion is obviously similar to Fallout 3 but I hated the world and boring characters with odd accents. Too complicated- I never knew what to do. 

Can anyone name something that meets my needs?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

A better version of Alpha Protocol, maybe.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By 9cupsoftea

People will suggest Planescape Torment, but it seems like you're not into fantasy stuff. I would suggest giving more time to Deus Ex, you can play it without treating it like an action game at all. 

Maybe try the first two fallouts as well. 

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mwng
cooperfoyt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By cooperfoyt

Mass Effect 1 and 2 would be at the top of my recommendation list.  
You might want to check out Metro 2033 as it was very similar to Fallout 3 as well

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Clinkz

KotOR for a not very linear western rpg and Fire Emblem for a strategy rpg where you get to customize your guys. Its a shame you didn't like Oblivion because I thought it was better than Fallout 3. These are all I can think of because most jrpgs are linear despite sidequests and those seem like just the opposite of what you want.

Onigenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Onigenko

Nethack. But really, there aren't really that many "open" RPGs.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By MysteriousBob

Thanks for your suggestions. 

Perhaps I should clarify. I'm not asking for all these things to be available in a single game- that would be too specific. Its more like "unique characters and/or an open world".