Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By _Phara0h_
said:

Move over Johnny Lee. Now that you've gone corporate,
there's a new student researcher in town ready to take up your mantle.
What mantle is that, you ask? The "show us cool tech that can be used
in video games via YouTube" mantle, of course. Introducing Torben Sko,
a PhD candidate at Australian National University. He's currently
"studying the idea of augmenting traditional forms of computer game
interaction using unconventional, but commercially viable approaches."
Translation: head- and face-tracking in video games using a traditional
webcam.

The video after the break shows off several very impressive demonstrations of this technology using none other than
Half-Life 2's Source engine: 1) VR Desktop is a "replication of the [technique] made popular by Johnny Lee";
2) Zoom in by moving your head closer to the screen;
3) Peering allows you to look around the corners by tilting your head;
4) Camera rotation/spinning allows you to look around, "more like a Handycam"; 5) Ironsighting "allows the player
to aim down the barrel of their weapon by tilting their head to the side."

If you're anything like us, you're already imagining this functionality in games using both the
Xbox Project Natal camera and the PlayStation Eye. Afraid that new camera-based interfaces herald
the death of traditional gameplay? ("I don't want to play Halo Reach by jumping up and down!")
Fear not! This video is whispering in your ear, Core Gamer, and saying,
"Don't be afraid. Everything is going to be alright."

[Via PushingPlay]

I think this should be possible with Natal day and date.....
ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ToxicFruit

that was cool. i wonder how all video game will be played in maybe 10 years

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Icil

Cool.

Personally, I think any kind of head-turning gestures are useless as long as we play video games from a screen that's in front of us. I'd wait for TV goggles before using the head-turning thing.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Binman88

I'm gonna make a prediction and say it will be at least 6 or 7 years before motion capture technology makes any sort of real innovative and significant gameplay enhancement in a game, that then becomes a standard in following games. (note: I don't believe replacing buttons with motion is really innovative or significant)

_Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By _Phara0h_
@Binman88 said:
" I'm gonna make a prediction and say it will be at least 6 or 7 years before motion capture technology makes any sort of real innovative and significant gameplay enhancement in a game, that then becomes a standard in following games. (note: I don't believe replacing buttons with motion is really innovative or significant) "
I think your off on your prediction, I see natal first do these types of things to controller type games and will get some Wii type mini games. For the later you and me will probably think not much of it. And thats the problem, any thing after that and it doesn't matter how innovative it is it probably will feel more like those Wii games. So here is where I agree with you that for you and me there is no real innovation to be had with motion controls. I think this technology with 3d tech, so there is no need for a in screen representation of you the player is needed it has the potential to be truly replace a analog controller and be something I would like to play.

Mootalstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Mootalstrike

I bet this is the kind of thing we will see if Natal is integrated in Halo: Reach.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By CoolDrMoney

That would also work really well in a racing game while using the dashboard view. At least I assume it would.