About Red Dead Redemption and Alan Wake (Owners)

jrodrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By jrodrz

Hey guys.

So I've been saving a few dollars to get some games in the States next time I go there. My top choices: Red Dead Redemption and Alan Wake. I've read reviews in websites and they're favorable for both of these. Besides, I'm really into third person shooters, and I think both games present concepts I have never experienced before myself.

So users, can I get any opinions on these games? I would really apreciate if you could share your experience with these games.
 Thanks, jrodrz
Cheers

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Aronman789

I found the light for combat function in Alan Wake annoying, so I'd choose RDR

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

If you can only get one, then Red Dead Redemption but Alan Wake should be played at some point.

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By matpaget
@jrodrz: Both games are absolutely SUPERB!
I definitely suggest picking both up.
Red Dead Redemption is so good that you won't know what to do first.
Alan Wake grips you and pulls you into the story. It's one of those games I want to beat in one sitting.
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Dany

Red Dead Redemption

CrazedMaverick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By CrazedMaverick

I'd get RDR. You'd probably get more for your money with RDR, but Alan Wake is a worthy investment too.

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Chemin

Well, both of these games' got awesome stories. RDR is a much bigger and longer game, so I guess it would be a tad more worthwhile if you only can afford one. Gameplay-wise it's better too, if you like sandbox games with cover-based mechanics. Alan Wake on the other hand has an incredibly good narration, and it's kind of its focus. The gameplay is lacking, which become apparent on the Nightmare difficulty, but it's very good. Very good. It all comes down to if you feel like playing a western shooter or a mysterious thriller, basically.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By YoThatLimp

RDR is my game of the year.

geekpimpfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By geekpimpfx

RDR will give you more bang for your buck, so if you can only get one I suggest that

WrathOfBanja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WrathOfBanja

I'd say Alan Wake, only because I hated RDR.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheGreatGuero

You absolutely need Red Dead Redemption. It is a must, and probably the strongest candidate for being 2010's Game of the Year.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xyzygy

Alan Wake. It's my top contender for the game of the year, it's that good. It's so amazingly paced and at no point in the 17-20 hour game was I bored. The light mechanics work great, graphics are absolutely stellar (the best lighting I've seen in any game), it runs so smooth, the shooting is perfect... I can't give this game enough praise. There is a lot to collect too, you can get these little manuscript pages that kind of act like a codex like games like Mass Effect that shed light on the story. Plus it's a lot longer than I expected. 

PS: I have both games, played both a LOT. Red Dead Redemption is good, but I mean it's basically the same as GTA. Alan Wake is different and you'd be hard pressed to find a game with the same great qualities it has.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By raidingkvatch

Alan Wake is really good, definitely fun, but RDR is in another league.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By phantomzxro

I say that RDR is more bang for your buck on the flip side alan wake is pretty big on story if your into that.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Redemption of Red Dead.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dany
@OtakuGamer said:
" Although Alan Wake is great, I enjoyed RDR much more because of its mutliplayer. "
I enjoyed RDR and I never touched the MP, I simply found it aimless and not what I wanted with the single player
Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Hashbrowns

Weird thing that I still don't understand:  I played Red Dead Redemption for a couple hours and then put it aside.  For the life of me I can't figure out why, but I have absolutely zero interest in EVER playing it again.  Every time I look at the case, I feel kind of sick and I regret the purchase.  This is bizarre, as I was anticipating the game's release since the first trailers.  Maybe someday this funk will lift... I hope.

In short, I'll throw my hat in for Alan Wake. 
Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zimbo

I would say pick up RDR first as its probably my favorite game of the year. If you like westerns you will love it. Alan Wake is pretty darn good as well though.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xyzygy

Whatever you decide to get though, make sure you get both games at least sometime in the future.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21  Edited By KaosAngel

You can watch Alan Wake on U-Tube...it's a linear story that can be finished in a few hours.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@HandsomeDead said:
" If you can only get one, then Red Dead Redemption but Alan Wake should be played at some point. "
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xyzygy
@KaosAngel said:

" You can watch Alan Wake on U-Tube...it's a linear story that can be finished in a few hours. "  

Took me about 17-18 -_- 

It's way longer than you'd think. I was expecting a game the length of maybe Heavy Rain or soemthing, but it was wayyyy longer and I was very happy about that. The Signal added another 2 hours onto that.
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ch3burashka

The Alan Wake Collector's Edition is 60 bucks on Amazon. Easy choice.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By jakob187

Both of the games are pretty fucking great.  I bought the limited edition of Alan Wake, which comes with some cool bonus features like an exclusive avatar award, some premium themes, a book talking more about the events of Alan Wake from a different perspective, and a Bonus DVD that will let you install a video commentary track that goes along with the game.  Overall, definitely worth the $80 I spent on it, and a lot of places have been running it on sale lately. 

As for RDR, that game has some great longevity to it, but I haven't played it since about a week or two after release.  I lost interest once I hit 100% single player completion.  Alan Wake is a game that I keep going back to, just because the story and atmosphere are that damn good. 

I would recommend either, and regardless of what you get, you are not buying a bad game at all.

jrodrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jrodrz

hey thanks for your opinions! if you could keep them coming, I would really appreciate it!

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ComradeKhan
@jrodrz: Loved them both. Great games!... I played through both of those at the same time - didn't see the sun for about a week straight. I would play one until I hit a key story point or good stopping place / save point and then I would pop the other game in and play until I hit a major story point - I repeated this nonstop until i beat them both (then I cried because I didn't wan't them to end :)
drewm135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28  Edited By drewm135

Alan Wake is great but get Red Dead

edtwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By edtwo

i havent played Alan Wake, but Red Dead is my favorite game so far

Nakirendral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Nakirendral

I must say that I was so excited for Alan Wake leading up to its release. But when I finally got it, something about the repetitive nature of combat really got me bummed to continue playing the game to its end. Its a typical Play the game just to see the cutscene/story progression. But I just couldnt take it anymore; I got to the final episode within the first month and just didnt care anymore. In earnest, I feel regret about buying Alan Wake :(

But! Red Dead Redemption is truly a fun experience to play and the story is truly fun and takes some really fun turns, that are unexpected, at least for someone like me who never watches Western Films. Just something different that really gripped me.

Obviously, imo RDR far outweighs Alan Wake in Purchase Priority.

danpat177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By danpat177

red dead :)

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Jeust

Read Dead Redemption is a version of GTA in the wild west, and with its non-linearity, comes the traditional quest system where you have to whore yourself out so the npc that you are trying to sugar up allows you to advance the plot. It is an interesting game, with open planes and a lot of diversity, still most of the locations look barren, and most of the npcs are nothing special. Also the evil path you can take Marston in isn't well fleshed out. Despite this issues, it is an lengthy and interesting game. 

Alan Wake is a linear experience, with a lot of scripted events, that you will recognize the second time around. Still it doesn't matter much, as if you're a sucker for awesome atmospheres, and horror stories, while not being scary, it is a game that has a very bleak and dark nature to it. It is, like you probably know, a third person shooter with similar mechanics to games like RE4, with the light and darkness twist. The story is gripping, deep and very thoughtful. If you like the genre, it can be a game to play multiple times (I'm currently on my 8th playthrough).  

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Burns098356GX

Alan Wake was good, but RDR defiantly has more hours you can put into it. I attempted RDR but that constant tapping of the A button to get the horse to move really ruined it for me.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#34  Edited By Sooperspy

Both are great, but RDR will last you longer.

LosDub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LosDub

RDR 

cant wait for next DLC - Undead Nightmare

zombies galore!

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By crusader8463

Red will give you your best money for game time.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By RichardLOlson

I tapped into some Alan Wake for a bit, but RDR is really good.  Story wise its a rollercoaster, but the slight issue I am having is the DLC.  The 3rd DLC is lacking a bit.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DrPockets000

RDR felt soulless and empty to me.   

Alan Wake grabbed my by the throat and never let go.  

Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Kbm600
@xyzygy said:
" @KaosAngel said:

" You can watch Alan Wake on U-Tube...it's a linear story that can be finished in a few hours. "  

Took me about 17-18 -_-  It's way longer than you'd think. I was expecting a game the length of maybe Heavy Rain or soemthing, but it was wayyyy longer and I was very happy about that. The Signal added another 2 hours onto that. "
I would really love to know how you stretched out Alan Wake into 17-18 hours. It took me nine and I took my sweet time taking in every location, and on top of that I am by no means a fast player at any genre.
Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Red Dead Redemption, no contest. 

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By Enigma777

I've only played RDR (waiting on a price drop for AL) but I really liked it. I'm not a fan of open world games at all, but RDR is one of the only two (the other being Infamous) that I enjoyed.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jeust
@Kbm600 said:

" @xyzygy said:

" @KaosAngel said:

Took me about 17-18 -_-  It's way longer than you'd think. I was expecting a game the length of maybe Heavy Rain or soemthing, but it was wayyyy longer and I was very happy about that. The Signal added another 2 hours onto that. "
I would really love to know how you stretched out Alan Wake into 17-18 hours. It took me nine and I took my sweet time taking in every location, and on top of that I am by no means a fast player at any genre. "
I took also about 17-18 hours in my early playthroughs, and I generally take about 8-9 hours now. It happened because of I was exploring every nook and cranny for colectables, or just for the sake of exploring. While the game isn't very lenghty, the terrain available to cover in the first few playthroughs becomes overbearing, especially for a person suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder. 
Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lautaro

Alan Wake.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@jrodrz: RDR was an epic game, but I feel that Alan Wake deserves your time. You know what to expect from Rockstar - a good story with good mechanics and laughably awesome bugs and glitches - while Alan Wake presents a pretty fresh take on the third person shooter as well as a unique storytelling device to this medium.  

I think, really, it comes down to what kind of story you prefer to play. Alan Wake has a very intriguing and thoughtful story, while Red Dead Redemption (and this is no sleight on the game, mind you) is essentially Unforgiven: The Game. Really comes down to what you'd prefer, honestly. 

EDIT: I just realized you have a Jackie Boy avatar. I'm assuming that means you really enjoyed The Darkness (it was pretty awesome), and in that case, just get Alan Wake. It follows the same kind of horror vein and atmosphere as that title.
huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By huntad

I'd say Alan Wake is the better game, but RDR is longer. The reason for this is because there are a lot of busy-work missions like herding cattle, a night watch mission, and there's some more in there. I'm not a fan of busy-work missions/quests, or those that don't necessarily advance the story and are hardly entertaining. Alan Wake has nice pacing, but isn't extremely long. Also, the multiplayer in RDR is a nice diversion, but it's pretty unbalanced and messy in a lot of spots.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NTM
@jrodrz said:

"Hey guys.  So I've been saving a few dollars to get some games in the States next time I go there. My top choices: Red Dead Redemption and Alan Wake. I've read reviews in websites and they're favorable for both of these. Besides, I'm really into third person shooters, and I think both games present concepts I have never experienced before myself.  So users, can I get any opinions on these games? I would really apreciate if you could share your experience with these games.  Thanks, jrodrzCheers "

What the heck man... those are the two games that I would have as my top games for thise year so far > <.... How about both? Both them have amazing atmospheres. Alan Wake is abut 12 hours I think, while Red Dead is about 20. So if length is the thing, Red Dead I guess, since you'll probably spend 10 more after that. Though in Alan Wake you'll want to go through on a higher difficulty, and there's DLC out there for it as well and probably a sequel coming... so.
Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47  Edited By Sackmanjones

RDR hands down no buts about it

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By xyzygy
@Kbm600 said:

" @xyzygy said:

" @KaosAngel said:

I would really love to know how you stretched out Alan Wake into 17-18 hours. It took me nine and I took my sweet time taking in every location, and on top of that I am by no means a fast player at any genre. "
I tried to get all the manuscript pages and coffee thermoses I could without using a guide, yet I still managed to miss some. I'm not exaggerating, it definitely took me well above 15 hours across 3-4 lengthy sessions. And that was only on Hard, I went through it again on Nightmare to find the other manuscript pages. But this is only counting my first Hard playthrough, I did another one and then a Nightmare. 

@Jeust: Yeah I know! I couldn't get over the massive amount of land in the game to explore. And sometimes you'd find manuscript pages and thermoses in the craziest spots, like remember that thermos on the red chair, just sitting on the edge of a cliff which is nowhere near where the main road you're supposed to go? 

My second Hard run was probably about 10 hours and my Nightmare one was probably 12 or so because it was a bit harder.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jeust
@xyzygy said:

" @Kbm600 said:

" @xyzygy said:

" @KaosAngel said:

I tried to get all the manuscript pages and coffee thermoses I could without using a guide, yet I still managed to miss some. I'm not exaggerating, it definitely took me well above 15 hours across 3-4 lengthy sessions. And that was only on Hard, I went through it again on Nightmare to find the other manuscript pages. But this is only counting my first Hard playthrough, I did another one and then a Nightmare. 

@Jeust: Yeah I know! I couldn't get over the massive amount of land in the game to explore. And sometimes you'd find manuscript pages and thermoses in the craziest spots, like remember that thermos on the red chair, just sitting on the edge of a cliff which is nowhere near where the main road you're supposed to go?  My second Hard run was probably about 10 hours and my Nightmare one was probably 12 or so because it was a bit harder. "
Yep. I think the game is probably one of an OCD's worst nightmares. ^^ 

Still awesome game. I haven't collected all thermos yet. :p
papuccino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By papuccino1

I'm aching to buy Alan Wake and try it out, but the survival horror aspect kind of kills it for me. I'm not really into that genre. If you're like me I'd recommend you buy RDR because it's much more action oriented and larger in scale. 

Alan Wake is made by the same guys from Max Payne so take that into account as well; their games are great.