About the Silent Hill Collection...

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BPRJCTX

Have they given' any reason or explanation, of why Silent Hill 4 isn't included in the collection?

Cos to me, it doesn't make any fuckin' sense.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By benjaebe

I don't know, but I wish they would have. Probably because SH3 and SH4 are way more popular and critically successful than SH4 was. Maybe one day we'll see SH4 and Shattered Memories with Move support or something get released. I mean that would be a dream of mine. Probably won't happen.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BestUsernameEver

SH4 was barely a silent hill, and I would have preferred they just took the name off, built to the story and made it a whole new IP, seemed compelling to me.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

@BestUsernameEver said:

SH4 was barely a silent hill, and I would have preferred they just took the name off, built to the story and made it a whole new IP, seemed compelling to me.

It actually was a different IP at the start; they turned it into a Silent Hill game mid-way through production.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Hailinel said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

It actually was a different IP at the start; they turned it into a Silent Hill game mid-way through production.

Yeah I know, that's the shame of it. I really like Silent hill as a series, and that one felt out of place in that sense, doesn't mean it was a bad game, just didn't fit.

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By bongchilla

I'm more surprised the first game was not included.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By MysteriousBob

@BongChilla said:

Same with MGS1 in that collection. Are PS1 games hard to port or something? Or do Konami not want a game thats graphically aged more badly in their HD collection?

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BPRJCTX

@MysteriousBob: Yeah, i didn't expect SH1 to be there, probably because of what happened with the MGS Collection, it's probably a lot easier to clean up the visuals to HD, on last gen games.

But, SH4 not being there is just doesn't make any sense to me.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MikeGosot
@MysteriousBob said:

@BongChilla said:

Same with MGS1 in that collection. Are PS1 games hard to port or something? Or do Konami not want a game thats graphically aged more badly in their HD collection?

It would require them to redo the art assets. If they do it, it will be sold separately.
psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#10  Edited By psykhophear

@BPRJCTX: I'm with you on that. The first four Silent Hill games are instant classics and to not include them in this Silent Hill Collection makes no sense at all. I love all four of them. I can understand if Konami is unable to remaster Silent Hill 1 to HD but what I can't understand is that they ignore 1 and 4 altogether. I wonder what Akira Yamaoka thinks of this atrocity.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Humanity

@MikeGosot: well when you replayed that first area of MGS in MGS4 it looked fine just upscaled. On the flip side I remembered it looking a LOT better so that was interesting.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By zeushbien

Cause it was bad?

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By biospank
@BestUsernameEver said:

Dude it is more of a silent hill game then the latest starting with origins to shatered memories. Because it explains more of The Order and what they did do with some of their child victims/slaves(if you will). Btw I hate what konami have turned SH mythos into now starthing with that dam psp game.
ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By ShaggE

They probably didn't want to remaster/redo the burping nurse sounds, out of regret.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By willin
stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By stubbleman

I don't understand how these questions keep coming up. They aren't going to put a ps1 game in a ps2 game collection because it would be out of place. The intended audience for these games is likely gamers who didn't get around to playing them the first time around, so they upscale them to 720, add achievements and trophies and call it a day. Adding ps1 games to them would just further complicate what is essentially a cash grab. They take these pretty good looking ps2 games and pretend like they've got brand new HD graphics because there's less aliasing and that works for them. Simply upscaling Silent Hill wouldn't make it look anywhere near current gen though. They would have to pull some REmake or Twin Snakes business to get that game looking up to par and they don't want to do that. Like I said, they just want to upscale a couple ps2 games and sell them for an easy 40 dollars. Now, the reason Silent Hill 4 isn't in the collection is likely for the same reason. That game looks and runs like complete garbage, especially in comparison to 2 and 3. It just isn't up to par. Maybe you aren't remembering how that game looked and played, Silent Hill 2 and 3 were a little janky in spots, but 4 is almost unbearable with the canned jaguar sounds for the dog monsters and the burping nurses which ShaggE was kind enough to point out already and the way characters just float around on the ground like they're hovering or something and the god-awful combat controls. That game was a mess and they don't want to have to spend a brand new game's worth of time and resources to make it look and play as good as 2 and 3 already do with no added effort. Now, I love Silent Hill 4. I've got a PS2 copy sitting in my collection, but that game would just stick out like a sore thumb next to the other two games. Anyway, I'm looking forward to listening to Troy Baker kill it as James in the new voice track.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

I loved Silent Hill 4, issues and all. But, I can see why it wasn't part of the collection. Silent Hill 2 and 3 were the best in the series and Konami obviously wanted to showcase the best in order to try and drum up some potential sales for Downpour.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MikeGosot
@Humanity said:

@MikeGosot: well when you replayed that first area of MGS in MGS4 it looked fine just upscaled. On the flip side I remembered it looking a LOT better so that was interesting.

The graphics get kinda okay upscaling. We're talking about PS1 graphics here, so to make them not look like a bunch of triangles, it would require them to redo the art assets, to make them looks at least in the level of a PS2 game with HD textures. And hell, if you're going through all that trouble to make it look like a PS2 game, why don't you go all the way and make a remake? Also, i'm sad the collection doesn't have Shattered Memories. I liked that one better than SH1.

EDIT: Also, i think they didn't iclude 4, because of fan reaction. I think people were just "Hurr durr, diz is not silent hill", so Konami thought "Well, most fans didn't liked it, so why would we lose money making an HD version?"
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@biospank said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

Dude it is more of a silent hill game then the latest starting with origins to shatered memories. Because it explains more of The Order and what they did do with some of their child victims/slaves(if you will). Btw I hate what konami have turned SH mythos into now starthing with that dam psp game.

well yeah, the silent hills after 4 are completely forgettable. Everyone knows that dude.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By killacam

they probably just want you to buy one through psn. and wouldn't the fact that 4 had a different developer complicate matters?

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TentPole

@killacam said:

they probably just want you to buy one through psn. and wouldn't the fact that 4 had a different developer complicate matters?

That is not true.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By killacam
@TentPole said:

@killacam said:

That is not true.

you're right. my bad. this makes this thread all the more valid
BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By BrittonPeele

@BestUsernameEver said:

@biospank said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

well yeah, the silent hills after 4 are completely forgettable. Everyone knows that dude.

Really? No love for Shattered Memories? I liked that game a lot. Homecoming and Origins were forgettable, though.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#24  Edited By sammo21

@BPRJCTX: I would assume it was because SH4 wasn't a Silent Hill game originally and that it was the beginning of the end for the series. I do think it is weird as it would have been a good excuse for me to play through it again. I originally beat it a few times in the day.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By biospank
@Sargus said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@biospank said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

Really? No love for Shattered Memories? I liked that game a lot. Homecoming and Origins were forgettable, though.

Because it really did not have anythin to do with silent hill other then the name and use of  the story structure of 2.