Achievments - do you play for the points?

Garfield360UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Garfield360UK

Hey all

I was wandering if any Xbox 360/ Games for Windows Live/ Playstation 3 users are playing games to earn achievements/trophies on? I am starting to feel this way as I feel I have a shortish attention span with the games I play and so play for the easy achievments and then seem to give up with the game and move on.

This has left me feeling whilst I enjoy games, I am playing all different ones and dont focus on one at a time so it basically becomes an expensive hobby where I get few achievments on the go and then give up. Examples of games I have given up with are Oblivion, Blue Dragon, Two Worlds, and others where the game requires many hours of gameplay to get into it and get any achievments.

Do you have any suggestions on what to do in this situation? How do you feel about the whole achievement/trophies generation from this series of consoles we have started to see?

Discuss

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Thrawn1

download dash of destruction. its free, and all 200 points can be earned within 20 minutes

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Achievements are fine as long as you treat them as part of the game, and not as something outside of the game. I'd never get a game for achievements, but they can enhance a game you allready have.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Meowayne

Not really, no. Occasionally, achievements motivate me to spend time with a game which I otherwise wouldn't have; but other than that, no. Most games I earned about 400-600 points in, for completing the main game and a couple of minor things. I have no 1000/1000 games.

I did play Dash of Destruction for 200 easy points, though. But I feel really bad about it. :P

Garfield360UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Garfield360UK

Hmm, there are some good points.

I just usually feel bad buying more games when I dont have full achievments in all my games (I have yet to get any 1000/1000 most are around the 100-500 points mark depending how many are awarded for single player finishes and whether easy mode gets points such as Halo 3 which I am replaying in normal to get the points for the campaign) but I feel bad wanting things like Mirrors Edge and Gears of War 2 when I have not completed or got all the achievements on all the games I have.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187

I love achievements.  It's the stupid little sound they make when they unlock.  I'm hooked on it.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By crunchUK

i suck at achivement collecting im afraid

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MisterSpiffy

I usually try to get 1000/1000, if only to experience every part of the game, but then there's some games that just aren't even reasonable to attempt this.

CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By CreamyGoodness

yes i do

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#10  Edited By citizenkane

No, I am not a points whore.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Yes, I will go out of my way to get achievements that require more than standard play, although the only game I have the full thousand in is Oblivion (but of course I don't have shivering isles, so that's another 250 right there). 

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Rowr

I have a lengthy answer to your questions, but im not going to rewrite it here.

jonnyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jonnyp

Achievements have been a good motivator for me to finish games.  For awhile there I would start a game, play 2/3 of it, and move on to the next thing.  After a while it left me uninterested and unsatisfied with games.  So after some solid advice from Garnet Lee, I decided to try to finish every game I start [excluding wipeout HD cause fuck that gets hard] and achievements have been a great way to keep me going with that.  Consequently, i'm not a fan of games that don't give you points for playing through the main story.  Ef that shit.

Oh and trophies, not so much.  Without one aggregate score, the whole system doesn't really work.  I still like my ps3, but i wish they would have just directly copied microsoft.