• 59 results
HHAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By HHAP

@mandude: Woah, I just played FFIX for the first time last night!

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By l4wd0g

Isn't English to Queens English?

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By mandude

@HHAP said:

@mandude: Woah, I just played FFIX for the first time last night!

Haha, and were you disappointed with your performance even though you won the hearts of 97 nobles?!

HHAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By HHAP

@mandude: I spent like 30 minutes getting every prompt right only to find out that 8 nobles were not satisfied at perfection.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Patman99

@GrantHeaslip: Fair enough. I am sure there is some sort of spelling bible that the government and other media outlets use. While the American spellings do not bother me, the loyalist inside me would not complain if I started to see more British inspired spellings on signs.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By mandude

@HHAP said:

@mandude: I spent like 30 minutes getting every prompt right only to find out that 8 nobles were not satisfied at perfection.

I vaguely remember something like that. Whelp. Can't please everyone. I only wish it would let you beat some appreciation into them after the show was over. :(

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By cthomer5000

pants become underwear

crisps become chips

chips become fries

lift becomes elevator

flat becomes apartment

etc, etc.

Same words have different meanings in British and American English. Localization is definitely not a dealbreaker, but it can help add a lot of clarity, and probably isn't all that much work compared to a full translation.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By deerokus

@SmilingPig: Yes, I'm Scottish but lived in France for a while. Once, I saw a Québécois soap on TV... I was startled to see that it was subtitled into French-French! I needed thos subtitles, as I didn't understand the Canadian-French. I have since made an effort to learn some of the differences. Much prefer French-French, mind you!

As a Scot I wish to add an interesting extra wrinkle to this. Many Scottish people constantly mix and code-switch between multiple forms of English: we have Scots (much debate as to whether this should be regarded as a dialect of English or an entire language of its own), Scottish-English, Standard British English (RP etc) and American English.

Those are effectively different registers of the same language to us. If you've seen Trainspotting, they were speaking Scottish-English, mostly, with some Scots blended in there. Is that film subtitled in the US?

(Scots is nothing to do with Gaelic, another thing entirely which few speak)

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#61  Edited By ThePickle

We used to play Math Circus at my gradeschool in computer class. They were not localized for Americans. It confused the hell out of me when I got told to match the different "colours".

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Contrarian

@Nonapod said:

As an American I refer to trucks as "lorries", elevators as "lifts", and cell phones as "mobiles" just to be a wiseass.

I like you a lot!