Any good turn based RPG's for the PSP?

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By dj

I'm looking for something to play on my PSP. I would like something in the vain of Final Fantasy.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Pie

I cant think of any RPG's on the psp.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ
Dj said:
"I'm looking for something to play on my PSP. I would like something in the vain of Final Fantasy."
They have FInal Fantasy 1 and 2, but for turn based rpgs, maybe you would like Riviera. It's certainly an unusual game though, so rent it before you buy it. There arent a lot of options on the PSP. For portable RPG goodness, there really isnt any option but the DS.
PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By PercyChuggs

Don't listen to this bad advice:

Jeanne D'Arc
Disgaea
Brave Story

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

I've heard that Breath of Fire III is coming out for the PSP, so I guess that's something to look forward to, maybe.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AgentJ
PercyChuggs said:
"Don't listen to this bad advice:Jeanne D'ArcDisgaeaBrave Story"
Jean and Disgaea are not turn based. They're Strategy RPGS.
Really, there isn't much available for the PSP by way of turn based Final Fantasy-style rpgs. maybe you would enjoy brave story, but it hasn't gotten very good reviews. There are a decent number of SRPGS, like Disgaea and D'Arc, but obviously that isn't what you are looking for.
Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Optiow

I have not played any turnbased games for the PsP.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Jayge_

Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core*

Brave Story: New Traveler[*]
Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy II
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth[*]
Riviera: The Promised Land (I think)
Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summonor (I think)
Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light
Dragoneer's Aria
Mana Khemia: Student Alliance (super-shitty)
Suikoden (on the PSN store)[*] <---- Most recommended ever.

As for non-turn-based jRPGs, there is also...

Tales of Eternia
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology[*]
Star Ocean: First Departure[*]
Star Ocean: Second Evolution*
Valhalla Knights
Valhalla Knights 2

I've left out a large amount of non-jRPGs, tactical RPGs (FFTactics, Disgaea, etc.) and upcoming jRPG/sRPG/aRPGs. If you want those, I can put together a list for that too. *'s are next to the ones I recommend, []'s are next to ones that I own/have played.
prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By prinny_god

Jeanne D'Arc is awesome

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AgentJ

Since this post is about which games to get for the PSP and not the DS, i'm not going to flood you with titles. However, if you PM me requesting some DS turn based RPGs or ask for it in this topic, i'll be glad to give you some.

Edgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Edgar

Yeah, I've heard great things about Jeanne D'Arc. I'd recommend it if you can find it.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AgentJ
Dj said:
"I'm looking for something to play on my PSP. I would like something in the vain of Final Fantasy."
prinny_god said:
"Jeanne D'Arc is awesome"
Edgar said:
"Yeah, I've heard great things about Jeanne D'Arc. I'd recommend it if you can find it."
Jeanne D'Arc is not "something in the vain of Final Fantasy". It is fun, but it's not what he's looking for.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

If you get a strategy rpg I'd recommend Final Fantasy Tactics if you didn't play it on the original PlayStation. If you want something simpler like the Final Fantasy games there are the Legend of Heroes sries, I think there's 3 games in that, but I don't know how good they are. I remember some fan fare early in the PSP's life but it may have not been worth it.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Red
Al3xand3r said:
"If you get a strategy rpg I'd recommend Final Fantasy Tactics if you didn't play it on the original PlayStation. If you want something simpler like the Final Fantasy games there are the Legend of Heroes sries, I think there's 3 games in that, but I don't know how good they are. I remember some fan fare early in the PSP's life but it may have not been worth it."
I played two of the Legend of Hero games. They're pretty bad and generic.
Don't be so picky with JRPGs because there are quite a few good Action and Strategy JRPGs on the PSP like Crisis Core, Valkyrie Profile and Disgaea, but the DS is the best place for handheld RPGs.
Libbindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Libbindy

I don't know much turn-based rpg for the psp..... I played Blade of Heroes III and it is turn-based but I don't like it for the save points are so far apart, so when you die you have to restart and make up for a lot. I recommend having a gba emulator for your psp and download Golden Sun and Golden Sun II. Even though they are gba roms, they are the best turn-based rpg games that I have ever played. They both have great storylines, great gameplay, great summons and great graphics. I think that it would also be better if you played Golden Sun II first because it is slightly easier than the first one but the second Golden Sun game is slightly longer, which is so good because of all its gaming goodness.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r

There was a Dungeons and Dragons game. I dunno if it was any good. Probably not. Nice to see you recommend he pirates GBA games. GG.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AgentJ
Libbindy said:
"I don't know much turn-based rpg for the psp..... I played Blade of Heroes III and it is turn-based but I don't like it for the save points are so far apart, so when you die you have to restart and make up for a lot. I recommend having a gba emulator for your psp and download Golden Sun and Golden Sun II. Even though they are gba roms, they are the best turn-based rpg games that I have ever played. They both have great storylines, great gameplay, great summons and great graphics. I think that it would also be better if you played Golden Sun II first because it is slightly easier than the first one but the second Golden Sun game is slightly longer, which is so good because of all its gaming goodness."
Or you could just by a GBA. what are they now, 20 bucks? You can probably find both Golden Sun games pretty cheap too, and then you dont have to feel bad about emulation. Besides, while the graphics on the games looked good on a GBA screen, I can't imagine them looking great on a giant PSP screen.