harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By harinosho

Hello Whiskey Media Community

Just wondering what would you like as alternative to QTE? People say its bad and overused. I agree with this statement. but wondering what is an alternative to this yet get the same cinematic experiece?

My only though would be situation movement. Meaning that the characters animations change depending on the situation at hand however your controls does not. (Think Shadow of colossus)

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jetsetwillie

i think this is were kinect will help. instead of just pressing buttons i will be able to 'act' out the action that is on screen.

so, if for instance the character on screen is in say a fight or maybe a bath i can 'act' out the action of the said fight or bath instead of just pressing silly buttons.

i think this would be great

WEB_War4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By WEB_War4

Slow Time Event.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd just remove them. A direction and one context-sensitive button should be enough to perform, or at least trigger, a variety of animations. Really though, the ideal situation would be playing through what would otherwise be cinematics. Animation in games has come a long way.

I actually don't mind QTE in itself. What I dislike is when it's used completely out of the blue, and rarely on top of that. I'd appreciate it if more games gave you some cue to let you know that QTEs might appear, like, say, the screen suddenly becoming letterboxed.

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zels

"alternative to this yet get the same cinematic experiece"

Bashing my head against a wall would offer a similar experience. Truth be told, I couldn't like QTE any less and I the only game where I felt the system fit at all was Heavy Rain. I hope that eventually it'll disappear altogether from games that don't revolve around it (like God of War).

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ShadowConqueror

QTE for the sake of having QTE is fucking frustrating. The only game that gets a pass on them is Heavy Rain due to how they are implemented. I don't have an idea for an alternative, but developers need to be more conscious of how and when they use them. Multiplayer QTE things like in Gear of War are the WORST, and ones that require an unnecessary amount of inputs (Arkham Asylum's batclaw pulling down walls comes to mind) make me want to stop playing the game.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By MysteriousBob

Just don't have them. I'm not afraid to simply watch a cutscene without having to cling to my controller just in case I get a random button prompt.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#8  Edited By BeachThunder

Design controllers with built-in "Jason" buttons.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic

QTE's allow you to interact with the movie-like parts of interactive software. They are great and serve their purpose.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Ravenlight

@AhmadMetallic said:

QTE's allow you to interact with the movie-like parts of interactive software. They are great and serve their purpose.

It seems like sloppy game design, IMO. Why not just make the entire game more cinematic and have the player in total control the whole time (e.g. Half-Life 2). QTEs make me enjoy cutscenes less because I'm constantly worried I'll have to mash a button randomly instead of appreciating what's being presented.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Dagbiker

I like qte when, if I fail, I dont have to do the whole thing again, much like how heavy rain did it.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By mazik765

I actually like a tastefully done QTE. They're like anything else, some people do them well and some abuse and overuse them.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#13  Edited By Grumbel
@WEB_War4 said:
Slow Time Event.
That was probably meant as a joke, but it actually a pretty good alternative. The way Tomb Raider: Underworld did it's cinematic events was by simply slowing down time, thus announcing to the player that something special was happening, giving him time to react, while at the same time keeping the controls just the same as ever. Thus when a platform broke and you had to jump away, you simply jumped away as usual. Additional context-sensitive controls and animation can be used to give those moments a bit more specialness.

And in general one simply needs to look at what is the QTE trying to accomplish: If it's something that can be done via regular controls, use regular controls. If it's something outside the regular controls, then a QTE might be in order, but should still have internal consistency and interactivity. Heavy Rain did make great use of QTE, as it used QTE to give you control over actions that no normal control scheme could have handled. Thus the QTEs increased interactivity, not lowered it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Ain't nothing wrong with a quick time event provided the button prompts maintain the original purpose of the button. If X is punch and Y is counter, and a man comes up to punch me and the QTE is A, then fuck that shit. But done properly, it's fine.

If you want to be reductive, all gameplay is just quick time events that are not cinematic. Pressing A to get in cover is better than crouching and facing a wall like it used to be. I'd rather press X to reload than have to manually move my character's finger to the release, reach my character's left hand to the extra mag, move that hand in such a way that it slides it into place.

Although manually cocking a shotgun up and down one-handed would be a pretty fun mechanic for about ten minutes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you really want to be reductive, compare Battlefield to that AC-130 simulator. In Battlefield take off is a QTE; Right Trigger to Start Plane.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#16  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Ravenlight said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

It seems like sloppy game design, IMO. Why not just make the entire game more cinematic and have the player in total control the whole time (e.g. Half-Life 2). QTEs make me enjoy cutscenes less because I'm constantly worried I'll have to mash a button randomly instead of appreciating what's being presented.

Because at no point in HL2 did I rocket 200 feet into the air, pirouette around a dozen missiles, grab the last one, reverse it, and slam it back into the arm cannon of the 50-foot-tall robot before running across its shoulder to leap off the other arm to safety, all within the span of 8 seconds while being highlighted from various cool cinematic angles that would never have worked if I was in direct control.

EDIT: QTE's are an amazing tool and have their place when implemented well.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Catarrhal

@Dagbiker said:

I like qte when, if I fail, I dont have to do the whole thing again, much like how heavy rain did it.

That's the real problem right there. In Shenmue (the game that first brought us QTE's)--if the player were to miss a prompt, the sequence would often take an entirely different path, rather than resulting in instant failure. That is a key component in creating a successful QTE, unlike, say, Resident Evil 4, where you're just mashing buttons to outrun boulders or some shit.

@BeachThunder said:

Design controllers with built-in "Jason" buttons.

I'd love to see something like this. You should work for David Cage.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By dagas

Focus on making the combat good and fluid. I've not played Batman Arkham Asalym, but from what I've seen it looks as good in real time as most games look in QTE mode. I realize it must be extremely hard to make it look as good in real time combat, but no one is impressed by QTE anymore. Even the most over the top God of War moment is just meh because it's basically just a cutscene. I want to feel like I have direct control over what is happening.

I don't just want it to look like a Bruce Lee movie, it needs to feel like I'm Bruce Lee as well with full control and me doing those awesome moves with the controller, not just watching a movie and pushing a putton that comes up. When that day comes it would revolutionize the beat 'em up genre.

SockLobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SockLobster

@Ravenlight said:

That's a really flawed argument because there are certain things that just can't be done with pure gameplay, at what point in Half Life 2 do you do anything nearing the intricacy of God of War's ridiculously violent boss finishers? Though I do agree with delivering plot driven elements of the game such as dialogue scenes in such manner as the Half Life games.

However, when the pacing of the game calls for a scene that is larger than the boundaries of it's engine, QTEs are a nice way of bridging that gap between watching your character do something and feeling like you are doing it yourself.

Poorly designed QTEs will always be terrible, because they are only succesful when they follow the same logic that flows through the rest of the game's mechanics.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only alternatives there really are to QTEs are either having a single button-press or nothing at all.

I think the right way to do Quick Time Events would be to reward you if you do it correctly, and not punish you by having to do it again if you fail - simply put QTEs shouldn't stop the action it should lead to two outcomes: one that rewards you for doing it right, and one that doesn't fail you for doing it wrong but rather give a minor punishment and let the game continue on.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikeGosot
@dagas said:

Focus on making the combat good and fluid. I've not played Batman Arkham Asalym, but from what I've seen it looks as good in real time as most games look in QTE mode. I realize it must be extremely hard to make it look as good in real time combat, but no one is impressed by QTE anymore. Even the most over the top God of War moment is just meh because it's basically just a cutscene. I want to feel like I have direct control over what is happening.

I don't just want it to look like a Bruce Lee movie, it needs to feel like I'm Bruce Lee as well with full control and me doing those awesome moves with the controller, not just watching a movie and pushing a putton that comes up. When that day comes it would revolutionize the beat 'em up genre.

You should REALLY play Arkham Asylum then. Rent it, if possible, just to see the battle mechanics. It's a pretty simple one (X beats bad guys, Y counter bad guys.), but it's so fluid, and there are so many animations for countering, that you really FEEL like you're Batman, and that you can kick ass. I also recomend playing it on Hard, because the game demands you to master the counter mechanics. The first game had a similar mechanic, but it was more button-mashey and less "OH MY FUCKING GOD! I'M REALLY BATMAN!".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ravenlight Wasn't there a part in Half Life 2 where something exploded, everything froze and GMan walks up and talks to you for a bit? Looked like loss of control to me.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Example1013

Cutscenes.

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By rapid

I think the Uncharted series is a good example of games trying to take those "cinematic moments" that would otherwise be all OTE or cutscenes in other games and instead craft the sequence in such a way that the player is guided but yet still have enough control over the character that it doesn't feel too scripted and on rails.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ravenlight

@StarvingGamer said:

EDIT: QTE's are an amazing tool and have their place when implemented well.

Agreed. I guess I don't think about the mechanic itself when it's well done and fluidly integrated. But when it obviously detracts from the experience of a given game, I'm probably a little quick to call it out.

I guess what I'd like to see is better use of QTEs in games instead of utilizing them as a crutch to involve the player.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jack268

Good controls and allowing the player to do cool shit without having to do it in cutscenes.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Ravenlight said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

There's your problem right there. You don't wanna interact with what's being presented, you wanna sit back and watch it (assuming that's what you mean by "appreciating it"). I personally play videos games, well, to play them :P And I welcome any new additions that bring my interactions with the experience closer to 100%. 

First time I played Assassin's Creed II, when I climbed through Christina's window and watched the two lovers talk, and then i tapped a key on my keyboard that allowed Ezio to drop her clothes and make love to her, I was fascinated by this game design achievement because for a second there it made me feel like I controlled Ezio even in that romantic cinematic moment. 
In other words, I felt like I'd just gotten laid.
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By AlexW00d

Gameplay.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ravenlight

@AhmadMetallic said:

There's your problem right there. You don't wanna interact with what's being presented, you wanna sit back and watch it (assuming that's what you mean by "appreciating it"). I personally play videos games, well, to play them :P And I welcome any new additions that bring my interactions with the experience closer to 100%. First time I played Assassin's Creed II, when I climbed through Christina's window and watched the two lovers talk, and then i tapped a key on my keyboard that allowed Ezio to drop her clothes and make love to her, I was fascinated by this game design achievement because for a second there it made me feel like I controlled Ezio even in that romantic cinematic moment. In other words, I felt like I'd just gotten laid.

Why stop there? There should have been a sexing minigame a la God of War.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Aus_azn

I liked the way QTEs are implemented in JRPGs like FF13-2 and Lost Odyssey. They add a whole another level of engagement, so much that I'm not just clicking and waiting.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Ravenlight said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

There's your problem right there. You don't wanna interact with what's being presented, you wanna sit back and watch it (assuming that's what you mean by "appreciating it"). I personally play videos games, well, to play them :P And I welcome any new additions that bring my interactions with the experience closer to 100%. First time I played Assassin's Creed II, when I climbed through Christina's window and watched the two lovers talk, and then i tapped a key on my keyboard that allowed Ezio to drop her clothes and make love to her, I was fascinated by this game design achievement because for a second there it made me feel like I controlled Ezio even in that romantic cinematic moment. In other words, I felt like I'd just gotten laid.

Why stop there? There should have been a sexing minigame a la God of War.

It was just an example, I'm not a perv, perv!!!  

Then again, I almost missed that AC2 QTE because my hands weren't available.. Umm... Ok then.
dabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dabe

@AhmadMetallic said:

First time I played Assassin's Creed II, when I climbed through Christina's window and watched the two lovers talk, and then i tapped a key on my keyboard that allowed Ezio to drop her clothes and make love to her, I was fascinated by this game design achievement because for a second there it made me feel like I controlled Ezio even in that romantic cinematic moment. In other words, I felt like I'd just gotten laid.

This is probably the saddest paragraph I've ever read.

As for the discussion. Cutscenes in general aren't gamic -- there are exceptions -- ergo they don't need arbitrary mechanics attached to them. They are designed to be a small moving image, not some interactive ass-fest.

Diegetic narrative, dialogue & plot elements are something that would always be preferable to me over "interactive" cutscenes. Valve do a superb job of this in most of their games.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By 71Ranchero

QTEs are fine. I was also fine with non interactive cut scenes but my ADHD brethren made short work of that.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@dabe said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

First time I played Assassin's Creed II, when I climbed through Christina's window and watched the two lovers talk, and then i tapped a key on my keyboard that allowed Ezio to drop her clothes and make love to her, I was fascinated by this game design achievement because for a second there it made me feel like I controlled Ezio even in that romantic cinematic moment. In other words, I felt like I'd just gotten laid.

Hey man I was 18 and it was my first QTE (I think).
Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ravenlight

@AhmadMetallic said:

@dabe said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

QTEs: Only for perverts.

dabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dabe

@AhmadMetallic said:

@dabe said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

I still don't know whether to laugh or cry.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@dabe said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@dabe said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

I still don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I still don't know how to show you that I'm making jokes.
dabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dabe

@AhmadMetallic: Oh we're both joking and I'm totally aware of this.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By morningstar

@WEB_War4 said:

Slow Time Event.

This =D

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good quick time events are good and bad ones are bad. I have always personally liked them but I wouldn't miss them (that much) if they were gone. I would like to never see ones where you have to press the button really fast. That can get painful.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Aetheldod

Meh , just dont take the too seriously and move on ... so in other words I have no idea :I

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#42  Edited By Little_Socrates

Sometimes QTEs are pretty awesome. Oftentimes, though, they should just be removed. An example of how to make things cinematic without QTEs? Uncharted. Awesome QTEs? God of War.

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kmg90

@Brodehouse said:

If you really want to be reductive, compare Battlefield to that AC-130 simulator. In Battlefield take off is a QTE; Right Trigger to Start Plane.

Don't forget the rat

Flaboere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Flaboere

I can't remember ever trying a QTE that was good. Usualyl it's just trying to make me feel like i'm controlling my character doing al kinds of crazy shit, but i'm just pushing 1 button. It takes me out of the action completely. And the ones where you have to press really fast are the worst.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By phantomzxro

i'm fine with QTE even like them when they are done well. I think the only game that are close to not needing QTE is Uncharted or anything like that. But i think we are quite a bit away from game play being the same as a well made QTE. So until that time i think we just need better QTE. Heavy rain did it really well and i think more Devs need to learn from that and keep it moving if you failed or make more than one path to the QTE.