MartyB1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MartyB1976

Hello all,

I've recently been made redundant (Damn Bankers) and have decided to try and make a modest living out of websites. My question is, do you think they is room for any new Game Sites? IGN/Gamespot etc have been around for over a decade and are huge. Gametrailers is also a very good site. Now i'm not stupid enough to try and take on any of them. For one i'm a single person with no budget, but can you have a fairly successful game site these days?

I'm not talking about 1 million members or anything, but 10,000 would be nice! I've decided to build a videogame site. It's just going to be purely videogame discussion, with news, and i suppose my stand out features are a Members Arcade where you can play classic games, with highscores, user created tournaments etc, and member blogs.

I believe i've bought a decent name Game Verdict. What do you guys think. I just opened it, 7 hours ago. Do i stand a chance? Thanks.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By thebeast

There's certainly a lot of video game commentary sites out there - but that doesn't mean there's no more room for something new and interesting.

Try to avoid just becoming 'another' Kotaku/Joystiq by
  • Carving out your niche - whether it be in a particular aspect of gaming, a certain console, or a certain audience - don't try to appeal to everyone.
  • Adopting your own style - it doesn't have to be something completely new and different, but try to make it interesting to those you're targetting.
  • Starting simple - don't jump in to trying to build a huge gaming community right off the bat - concentrate on producing good content and let your community evolve from that.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

There's plenty of room for new game sites, but not the same old thing that other sites are doing. You'll only be successful if you do something original, something a bit different that'll make you stand out from competition. Doing another site that's basically just a clone of existing sites will fail.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Tylea002

The beast says it like it is. If you are small, be small, stay in your niche and get some individuality. If you have that, you should have a decent model for a small website to sell some small ads on etc.

MartyB1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MartyB1976

I suppose i'm realistic and know i won't be able to do exclusive reviews/previews but hopefully a decent discussion board will be enough to draw members in, and keep them? After all i'm guessing the forums on IGN/Gamespot etc are the most used areas of the site?

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tylea002

Two things you REALLY need in todays market

• A forum for a community to be built, and interaction with them
  • The hook of a really good podcast.

Also, can I ask what country you are based in? As if you are in a non-us country, or even if you are, calling out to places like the UK/Europe can get you advertising preference to those looking to reach those area, as most sites are US focused.

EDIT: More advice I'd give you. To get personality, I would personally say use a name that does not sound generic as you have done. Game + Adjective is extremely unmemorable, but Random names work extremely well. So if you HAVE registered a domain name, roll with it, but if your serious, I'd think you should work on getting a way more striking name. Thats just my opinion, though.
MartyB1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MartyB1976

I'm in the UK, Sorry maybe i wasn't clear the site is actually built, and opened today. I built it in a week. I have the Forum, maybe i can work on a podcast for the future. Oh yes, and another cool feature i have is it's intergrated with Windows / XBox LIVE so your Gamertags are linked to your profiles, and you have Gamertag high score tables/stats etc.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By BiggerBomb

There is always room for quality. Capitalism at its best.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By thebeast
MartyB1976 said:
"I'm in the UK, Sorry maybe i wasn't clear the site is actually built, and opened today. I built it in a week. I have the Forum, maybe i can work on a podcast for the future. Oh yes, and another cool feature i have is it's intergrated with Windows / XBox LIVE so your Gamertags are linked to your profiles, and you have Gamertag high score tables/stats etc."
I'd forget the forum for now - running a successful community is a much bigger deal than people think - you can't expect to open a forum and have people magically start using it - you don't have the luxury of a media frenzy like Giant Bomb.
Concentrate your efforts on great content, then build your community around it - add profile features, forums, etc. as it evolves and when you can dedicate the time/staff to supporting them fully.
MartyB1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MartyB1976
TheBeast said:
"MartyB1976 said:
"I'm in the UK, Sorry maybe i wasn't clear the site is actually built, and opened today. I built it in a week. I have the Forum, maybe i can work on a podcast for the future. Oh yes, and another cool feature i have is it's intergrated with Windows / XBox LIVE so your Gamertags are linked to your profiles, and you have Gamertag high score tables/stats etc."
I'd forget the forum for now - running a successful community is a much bigger deal than people think - you can't expect to open a forum and have people magically start using it - you don't have the luxury of a media frenzy like Giant Bomb.
Concentrate your efforts on great content, then build your community around it - add profile features, forums, etc. as it evolves and when you can dedicate the time/staff to supporting them fully.
"
Ok great, thanks for the advice.
Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tylea002

So then, how about a link to this site that you're building. After reading this thread I'm definitely interested.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By mracoon

Just do your own thing and don't follow the crowd.

MartyB1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MartyB1976
Tylea002 said:
"So then, how about a link to this site that you're building. After reading this thread I'm definitely interested."

Sorry didn't know if it was polite to post a link, but if it's ok here it is: www.gameverdict.com