Anybody manage to get into the ingress beta?

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By zFUBARz

http://www.ingress.com/

Essentially Google is using their love of database building to create majesty again.

I wonder if this would be enough to get Jeff Gerstmann to get an Android device.

kilroyandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kilroyandy

I'm still trying to get in. I feel I may have more luck banging my head against a local landmark till some kind soul with a smartphone assists me

Tomorrowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Tomorrowman

Just got in this morning, it's pretty crazy. Unless you live in a major city it relies heavily on people to take pictures of local landmarks, art projects and such as possible portals. The ones that opened here automatically are government buildings and civil war sites.

It's basically an RTS. You first charge up your supplies by taking a walk (yup, lots of physical activity). Once you've collected enough 'XM' from walking around, you can interact with portals. If it is your teams portal, you can 'hack' it with one tap which basically loots the portal and puts it on a cooldown. You'll either get an XMP (an

area of effect weapon), a resonator (a building you drop on a portal to strengthen the defense), or a shield for the portal.

Each portal can have up to eight resonators attached. Each one makes it more difficult to be captured by the other team. Each of the eight resonators has eight potential levels of quality it can be, thus creating an even harder defense and leveling up the portal. A portals level determines how far it can reach to 'link' to other portals in the area. If you link a portal to two other portals (portals have to have eight resonators to 'link'), you officially capture the area in the triangle between those three portals for your team.

To capture another team's portal you basically drop the XMP's that do area of effect damage. If you can knock out all of a portals resonators, it's now neutral and ready for you to claim. The tricky part is spreading around your resonators when you place them so one XMP blast won't damage all of them.

It's insane to wrap your head around but after my first day I'm pretty into it.