Anyone Recommend Some Platformers?

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

So, to set the scene, I've recently gotten my girlfriend to start playing games again, after years of her not being too bothered about them. At the minute, we're working our way through Rayman Origins, and she's utterly loving it, both solo and co-op.

Basically, could you duders help me and recommend some platformers on either the 360 or PS3 (yeah, I know Nintendo do these things awfully well, but I'm not buying a Wii U just for a couple of games) that are fun but not too hard, as she can sometimes get super frustrated at failing a level over and over again. Whether they have multiplayer doesn't really matter to me, I'm just looking for her to have some funsies.

So no Super Meat Boy, despite how awesome that game is.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By AngeTheDude

Maybe the Ratchet and Clank games on PS3? I never played them on PS2 and just picked up the HD collection. I can't even think of any other good platformers on the 360.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By bluefish

I've always loved the first 'Splosion Man on xbla. It's challenging but probably no more than Rayman and it's got a great co-op campaign on top of a great solo campaign.

Maybe try Limbo out on her? It's light in the platforming elements but it's compelling as shit.

edit: I never tried BattleBlock Theater but it might be perfect for you guys from what I know about it.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about Little big planet. Should be very fun if you play it together. Also Rayman legends is even better than origins.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The Genesis Sonic games are available, might want to look into those. Crash Bandicoot 2 is one of my favorite platformers and it's on PSN.

Braid is great, but more about the puzzles. Maybe Castle of Illusion?

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Castle Crashers is more 2D brawler than 2D platformer, but I bet you guys would have fun with it. If you're looking for platformers in a general sense (3D as well as 2D), I highly recommend both the Jak & Daxter HD Collection and the Ratchet & Clank HD Collection.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#puppeteer

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By hermes

Rayman Legends is better than Origins, get that one after you finish Origins.

LBP 2 is not a very good platformer, but the user content more than made up for it.

In the downloadable realm, I have a blast with friends playing Trine 1/2 and Guacamele. Not sure if they might interest your girlfriend, but they are be worth a try.

Also, maybe you should consider Portal 2. The co-op campaign is a blast, and (even when not a standard platformer) it is a lot closer to the genre that you might think...

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By csl316
emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Mark of the Ninja? I know it's not really a strict platformer, but it might be worth trying. You don't have to play it like a super-ultra-stealth game to have fun.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GunstarRed

PS3 has all the Ratchet games. I think starting with the PS3 games is a much better option over the HD collection. That first game can be incredibly frustrating and almost unfair with its checkpointing. Tools of Destruction is fun, but very easy and A Crack in Time/ Into the Nexus are incredible. The Jak games are a mixed bag with the first game being mostly easy and the second game being insanely hard/barely a platformer. The third game balanced the difficulty out more, but there's a really huge focus on driving.

The Sly games are fun. I haven't played the second or the third yet, but I hear the second is fantastic. Puppeteer is gorgeous and plays well enough and is pretty funny. Sound Shapes is pretty simple, but looks and sounds nice. And Sonic Generations is one of the best Sonic games. If you want a platformer that isn't just the usual colourful stuff Ico and Alice Madness Returns are pretty great.

Also, that Mega Drive/Genesis collection for both the PS3 and 360 is packed with awesome platformers.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#12  Edited By TheMasterDS

There are only a few great 2D platformers outside of Nintendo. Rayman Origins and Legends and Meat Boy are them. So get Legends and have that be it, though admitedly I don't know if I can recommend the 360 version of the game due to how Murfey works in that version. Limbo, Little Big and Puppeteer are cool but they're not good platformers because their physics are lame. Don't buy them if you're looking for platforming, only if you're looking for atmosphere. The Splosion Man games have very little substance, are 100% linear and eventually demand perfection. They're quite overrated and I'd put nearly any other proper platformer over them, even Yoshi's Island or Sonic.

If you're looking for 3D platformers look no further than Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie on XBLA. I guess maybe you could also play the Sonic Adventures XBLA but they're not very good unless you have some weird nostalgia going. I'd say the same about the 2D Sonics as well actually. Do not under any circumstances buy a modern Sonic game.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alice: Madness Returns. An excellent platformer.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Braid.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By EVO

Can't go wrong with LittleBigPlanet. People shit on the platforming, but I think it's fine. Plus there's some amazing community levels out there.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By mosespippy

Personally I didn't much care for Little Big Planet 1 or 2 and Trine 2. Trine 1 though, is an amazing game. And yeah, Rayman Legends is a better Rayman Origins. I'd also say Limbo or Fez.

You know what else make for great girlfriend games? Rock Band. Time to haul your plastic instruments out of the closet.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

There's some pretty good suggestions here already, so the only other thing I can think of is Symphony of the night. One of the best platformers of all time.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I love love LOVE most of the Ratchet games. can't really go wrong there

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King

(yeah, I know Nintendo do these things awfully well, but I'm not buying a Wii U just for a couple of games)

You mean you're not willing to buy a Wii U for the woman you love? What is your life?

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@gatehouse Check out Dustforce. Highly underrated as it was released hot on the heels of Super Meat Boy. The platforming is super fun though, the mechanics are unique, the visuals are quite pleasing aesthetically, and the soundtrack is in my top 5 video game soundtracks ever. The music is from the same guy that did the soundtrack for Double Fine Adventure Doc. I think it is still PC only, but I believe there is a PSN version launching soon.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gatehouse

Thanks duders, some really good suggestions here. I've already gotten Rayman Legends (I think I'm one of only five people who prefer the sheer speed of Origins) and Crack In Time (he's a LOMBAX for crying out loud!) so those will be the next two stops.

I think I'm going to try her out on Little Big Planet (I think the sheer cuteness of it all will get her) and the Puppeteer sounds like a good pull too. Fez and Braid might be good for her too, she really likes puzzle books.

Weirdly enough @mosespippy, I have the disc for Rock Band 2, but no instruments. Me and my friends in uni actually bought Guitar Hero World Tour first (I know, I know, but the drums looked cooler) and then bought just a disc of Rock Band 2 later. In the split, I kept my disc, but never got new instruments.

Oh, and @video_game_king my life is a pitiful excuse for an existence my liege.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had fun with Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Have you tried Dust: An Elysian Tail? That game isn't particularly hard and there's a fair bit of platforming to go around.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11