Are you a Hardcore Gamer?

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Godwind

Think you're a big gamer? According to a new study from market research firm NPD Group, to be considered among the real hardcore you'll need to play an average of 48.5 hours a week -- nearly seven hours a day.

Even dedicated gaming blog Kotaku finds that "pretty extreme."

So-called "Extreme Gamers" average 29 years old, and -- perhaps surprisingly -- one-third of them are female. They're more likely to play on consoles than on the PC, and on average they've purchased 24 titles in the past three months -- a bill that could easily run over a thousand dollars. But dedicated though they may be, the Extreme Gamers are just a small minority: a mere 4% of the U.S.'s 174-million-strong gaming public.

And though seven hours a day seems like a lot, it's only a little more time than the average American spends watching TV.

The figures come from a study which polled some 20,000 members of an NPD Group consumer panel. It broke the gaming population of the US into six other segments, including avid PC gamers (who tend to be older, and buy more games online) and young heavy gamers, the largest segment, who prefer portable systems like the Nintendo DS and Sony PSP.

Overall, time spent playing games rose from an average of 12.3 hours per week last year to 13 this year, the survey found. Both console and PC games posted increases, with the PC growing significantly faster than the consoles -- but portable gaming hours, on the other hand, dove 16%. The most popular platform overall, in terms of time spent, was the good ol' PC -- and if that surprises you, you probably haven't looked at Facebook lately.

Source

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Damn, I guess I'm not then. Seven hours a day? I've got work to do.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By animateria

7 hours? 

Well I do play games for over 7 hours occasionally but doing that every day seems a bit.... hardcore.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By demontium

Nope. 

I am not really a hardcore anything. I play video games more than most things but only because I love them.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By beargirl1

no 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I don't agree with that definition, it makes like 90% of us here not hardcore gamers, then what are we? Gamers? We are not casual gamers. Honestly, if we are spending thousands of dollars like that every three months, how can anyone afford it without renting it? The definition is totally flawed.

scarycrayons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By scarycrayons

I'm not a 'hardcore gamer', and I think the term is silly.  In fact, I think even the people who played for ~50 hours a week would find that term silly! 

Gaming is my main hobby, and I spend most of my free time playing games or reading about them, but...  the term 'hardcore' is so down to different peoples opinions.  For example!:  
- If someone played casual games for 60 hours a week with a Big Fish Games subscription, would they be hardcore gamers or casual gamers? 
- If someone learned all the intricacies of a single game obsessively, for example that guy who played every level of Bubsy 3D thousands of times and made YouTube videos about them, would that kinda guy be considered hardcore, or not hardcore because he hasn't played many games in general? 
- If someone liked to play online FPS games, but was a nice polite person with good sportsmanship who enjoyed making friends with people they played against, are they a hardcore gamer?  Or is 'hardcore' reserved for the jerks that teabag people while screaming "I'M HARDCORE!!!!!!!!" 

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, does it really matter if someone's hardcore or not?  I enjoy games, that is all.  :D
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ

All I do to spend leisure time is play video games and do video game related stuff like post in forums as I'm a total loser, but even I can't play for an average of 7 hours a day.  I've got school crap.  That's... impossible.  Sounds like my ideal kind of life, though.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By OllyOxenFree

No I do not play 7 hours a day lol.

My eeeeeyeeees!!!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King

Where are they getting these numbers?....Yes, I'm a hardcore gamer.

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Famov

Man, I couldn't clock in 7 hours a day as a high school student playing WoW. That is, I had an optimal amount of free time and the perfect reason to never stop playing. 

When you have multiple hobbies (and/or a job) you simply cannot dedicate that span of time to one activity, no matter how compelling it may be.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hitchenson
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Milkman

I'm pretty hardcore, if I do say so myself.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

im proper hardcore

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#15  Edited By BeachThunder
@scarycrayons said:
"Or is 'hardcore' reserved for the jerks that teabag people while screaming "I'M HARDCORE!!!!!!!!"
Pretty much this.
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By bonbolapti

I'm fairly casual.

I wouldn't want to be a hardcore gamer if anything :P

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jkz

Uh, what? A 7-hour gaming day is an extreme rarity for me, so I guess I'm not "hardcore." 

We're doomed, aren't we?

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By c1337us

If that's what it takes no way. I have a full time job as well as other responsibilities there is no way I am racking up those kind of hours these days.

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By HaroldoNVU
What scarycrayons said.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@BeachThunder said:
" @scarycrayons said:
"Or is 'hardcore' reserved for the jerks that teabag people while screaming "I'M HARDCORE!!!!!!!!"
Pretty much this. "
But there's no way the kinds of people who do those play for 7 hours a day.  That's the mainstream audience.  :P
MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

Anyone who plays this much has issues. Unless your in college or high school. Still I was too busy partying and chasing girls in college and high school to play seven hours every day.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@MiamiRedHawks: I don't know what high school you went to, but at the semi-private one I'm attending right now, it's near impossible to get those kinds of hours and not flunk out because of the amount of projects, exams and homework we get.
HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By HaroldoNVU
@MiamiRedHawks:  or maybe they don't. Many people who claim to have lives spend that amount of time doing boring and unproductive things.
I can't play that much, even if I had the time, but I understand some people do. As long as they lead a healthy life, good for them.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I have too much to do to be considered hardcore.

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

I am not a hardcore gamer.

SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SadPatrol

wow, 7 hours a day. I can't believe anyone can play that much.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Diamond

They said 'extreme', to me that sounds one level over 'hardcore'.  But let's not get too hung up over crazy labels.  Yesterday I probably played 8 hours of games, today I got in about 10 minutes before a severe T-storm moved into the area and I thought I'd better unplug everything.

One interesting bit was they said the average age of gamers in the US is now 32.  Wonder when that's gonna level off, or will it just keep going up until all gamers die off?

24 titles in 3 months is CRAAAAAAAZY.  That's ~4% of the market?  Holy shit.  I'm probably at about 12-14 titles for the last 3 months, and a good 1/2 of those cost less than $30.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sil3n7

I'm a level designer in college...I live video games...I am hardcore.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By warxsnake

Ive been playing games since the Apple II. Does that make me hardcore I dont know. 

Pox22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Pox22

I don't have that kind of time.  Academia and other responsibilities are a little more pressing.  I'm lucky if I can get a single hour a day during my busy periods.

Seven hours a day, everyday is absolutely insane.  I can understand gaming binges due to a new release, or after finals are over...but a consistent regimen of seven hours of gaming a day is a problem.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By ZenaxPure

Only time I did that was when I was into WoW... I find it hard to sit down for a game for hours at a time unless the game is truly amazing.

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Virago

I'm a lowfat-no-carb-sugarfree-gamer.