Are you bothered by games where the promotional art and in-game art don't match? Or: why is Bravely Default so ugly

• 54 results
Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@apewins: His name is also Elvis yet despite everything he’s actually pretty great.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't mind the separation, as others have said, playing games in the atari/8bits/16bits eras meant that art and even screenshots in the back of the box were suggestions on how the game would feel like, instead of accurate depictions, but I can understand people getting confused by modern examples, since its rarer to see games with two conflicting art styles together nowadays.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think Bravely Default's chartacter are tall-chibi, and that about as 'stylized' as I'd want. Everyone has their own likes, but BD is about at the level I can work with to keep me immersed in the story or animations.

But I do see the frustration when "spec art" is hand-drawn with more normal proportions, but in game is more stylized chibi art. Sometimes I'd rather see the hand drawn stuff used in game...but that no always possible or desired by the actual in game artists.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

They seem fine to me. It's just a stylistic choice and one that's pretty popular in Japan

at least on 3DS I think it made sense given the screen size

Probably no longer necessary in the HD age, but I think you'll still see this with games designed with the Japanese market first in mind