Attack of the 250gb consoels!

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Novembers going to be interesting. You have arguably the biggest game this year coming out for both 360 and PS3, plus you have both consoles with a 250gb option.

we have a 250gb PS3 at 349.99 and a 250gb 360 with MW 2 and a extra controller for 399.99. Now, on paper, I honestly have to say the 360 is a better deal in this regard, but wether or not Consumers will perfer and flock towards a better value (360 since it has MW 2 and Controller) or a cheaper price tag (PS3) will remain to be seen.  (anyone know if the PS3 Uncharted 2 bundle was confirmed for america? or just europe?)

.... This gen has finally gotten interesting.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By iam3green

yes it has. i think it's sony getting back at microsoft so they are releasing a cheaper price system $50 less.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Wolverine

Who really needs a 250 GB HDD for their console? I have a 120 GB HDD and I think it is an overkill.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ravensword
@Wolverine:

Its really meant for people who buy alot of TV shows and Movies and stuff. which a 120 gb does fill up pretty fast if you use it for that.
carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By carlthenimrod
@Wolverine said:
" Who really needs a 250 GB HDD for their console? I have a 120 GB HDD and I think it is an overkill. "
If you buy a lot of DLC and XBLA games, 120 GB can go pretty fast. I've pretty much filled mine up. 250 GB isn't even enough as far as I am concerned. 1 TB would be nice.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64

I wish they would sell the 250 GB HDD separate for 360.   :(

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Addfwyn

For the folks that use their console as a media-center device as well. 

I don't have a cable TV subscription for instance, I save the money and just buy TV shows or movies.  I do it on my Apple TV though, not my PS3.  But I can certainly understand the need for it if people do use their PS3 that way.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wolverine
@carlthenimrod said:
" @Wolverine said:
" Who really needs a 250 GB HDD for their console? I have a 120 GB HDD and I think it is an overkill. "
If you buy a lot of DLC and XBLA games, 120 GB can go pretty fast. I've pretty much filled mine up. 250 GB isn't even enough as far as I am concerned. 1 TB would be nice. "

I see your point. I just personally don't download much.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ravensword
@Wolverine:

See, for someone like you who only really needs the HDD for Installs, DLC, and maybe the odd PSN game (im assuming ehre, I personally dont knwo what you use your PS3 for.) 120gbs is just fine. the 250gb one is meant for people who want to really take advantage of the video store.
Avatar image for deactivated-57a1372cc3e61
deactivated-57a1372cc3e61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they continue this trend than i wouldn't be surprised if both consoles had a 500gb version by the end of their lives...
Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Slippy
@Addfwyn said:
"For the folks that use their console as a media-center device as well.  I don't have a cable TV subscription for instance, I save the money and just buy TV shows or movies.  I do it on my Apple TV though, not my PS3.  But I can certainly understand the need for it if people do use their PS3 that way. "

I wish Sony would add better software support though, rather than just slapping 250gb in there and calling it a 'media center'. I'm talking an official video converter, or better yet, expanded video format support, and also freaking .mkv container support. And for the love of all that is holy, sub-folders! I'm refusing to even use it as a music player since it cant do fast forwarding above 2x.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ravensword

I wish the TV shows like Family guy were based off the Adult swim builds of the episode, not the toned down FOX ones.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By penguindust

I have a 20 gig HDD that has, after 4 years, reached the point where I have very little wiggle room.  I am actively not buying arcade games because of the space issue.  I'd love to buy a replacement, however I refuse to pay $120-$130 for the 120 gig drive.  Not when I can pay less than that for a 500 gig drive for my PS3.  I know there are mod work arounds, but I shouldn't have to go through a laundry list of steps including disconnecting my PC's HDD to format the replacement drive.  With the arrival of these 250 gig systems from Xbox, I hope they wise up and drop the price of the 120 to half of what it is now and then they can set the 250 replacement version on shelves for the old price if they want. 

@Slippy:  It would be nice for Sony to officially add MKV, but if you are not aware, the Playstation Media Server does transcoding which can be used to watch streamed MKVs from your computer.  PMS 1.10.5 - PMS forums - latest Beta build (PMS 1.11.363)

Agokillya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Agokillya
@JJOR64: I'm sure microsoft will eventually sell the 250GB hard drive seperate.
Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Slippy
@PenguinDust said:
"I have a 20 gig HDD that has, after 4 years, reached the point where I have very little wiggle room.  I am actively not buying arcade games because of the space issue.  I'd love to buy a replacement, however I refuse to pay $120-$130 for the 120 gig drive.  Not when I can pay less than that for a 500 gig drive for my PS3.  I know there are mod work arounds, but I shouldn't have to go through a laundry list of steps including disconnecting my PC's HDD to format the replacement drive.  With the arrival of these 250 gig systems from Xbox, I hope they wise up and drop the price of the 120 to half of what it is now and then they can set the 250 replacement version on shelves for the old price if they want. 

@Slippy:  It would be nice for Sony to officially add MKV, but if you are not aware, the Playstation Media Server does transcoding which can be used to watch streamed MKVs from your computer.  PMS 1.10.5 - PMS forums - latest Beta build (PMS 1.11.363) "

Yeah but transcoding reduces quality and requires a very strong network for HD content.