JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Edited By JoeH

No Caption Provided
So I didn’t buy Resistance when it first came out because I played it round a mate’s house and thought it wasn’t worth a full £40 for what seemed like a mediocre game. Though this week I found it on Amazon for a mere £7.99 on the marketplace, so I thought that it would be worth that. And mostly that’s true.

Don’t get me wrong I love the ideas behind it. Mysterious virus breaks out in soviet Russia, an air of mystery around it. Then all of a sudden they launch a massive offensive against Europe and it is revealed that these are actually the Chimera. That sounds cool. But unfortunately the game suffers from the same ailment that infected the movie Jumper. It sounded great on paper, cool super powered teleporters being hunted by Samuel L Jackson, but the implementation of that created a bland, disappointing and uninteresting experience. Which is exactly what happened in Resistance.

No Caption Provided
The level design is unintuitive, the levels themselves are disjointed by heavy exposition in the cut scenes that feature a British chick explaining everything in the past tense which, ok it’s a rarely used story telling device, but there’s a reason no one uses it. It draws you out, removes any sense of immersion. One little tiny nit pick that I have with the campaign is that early on there’s a level where you’re captured by the chimera and put in a cell, and you just happen to still have your gun. If the chimera are that stupid, why the hell haven’t we won yet? In all fairness the campaign is ok, it’s not crazily fun, but it’s not boring either. I just found it especially bland and uninspired. There was no sense of atmosphere to it, which is why I’d almost wish that the campaign was a little shorter.

Though the redeeming feature for me is the multiplayer, and not the crazy interwebs multiplayer, though that’s mainly due to the fact that everyone who’s still playing it are crazy good. Though the greatest multiplayer is the 4 player split screen. Sitting down with four of your friends and turning off all weapons and use grenades only, you will have even more fun than low-grav gravity hammers on Halo 3. Mainly due to the fact that there’s a flame bomb grenade thing, it’s like that one they use at the end of Underworld 2 where it releases gas then PHOOM!, everything dies.

Really Resistance is an “eh” game, but for £7.99 it’s well worth it. Also a little hint don’t buy the platinum edition, look around a bit first for the original copy because they’re cheaper. For those who want to know where to buy it now, here are some links:

America: Amazon $19.34 or $11.99 on the marketplace

UK: Amazon Platinum: £18.08 Original on the Marketplace: £4.49

JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By JoeH

No Caption Provided
So I didn’t buy Resistance when it first came out because I played it round a mate’s house and thought it wasn’t worth a full £40 for what seemed like a mediocre game. Though this week I found it on Amazon for a mere £7.99 on the marketplace, so I thought that it would be worth that. And mostly that’s true.

Don’t get me wrong I love the ideas behind it. Mysterious virus breaks out in soviet Russia, an air of mystery around it. Then all of a sudden they launch a massive offensive against Europe and it is revealed that these are actually the Chimera. That sounds cool. But unfortunately the game suffers from the same ailment that infected the movie Jumper. It sounded great on paper, cool super powered teleporters being hunted by Samuel L Jackson, but the implementation of that created a bland, disappointing and uninteresting experience. Which is exactly what happened in Resistance.

No Caption Provided
The level design is unintuitive, the levels themselves are disjointed by heavy exposition in the cut scenes that feature a British chick explaining everything in the past tense which, ok it’s a rarely used story telling device, but there’s a reason no one uses it. It draws you out, removes any sense of immersion. One little tiny nit pick that I have with the campaign is that early on there’s a level where you’re captured by the chimera and put in a cell, and you just happen to still have your gun. If the chimera are that stupid, why the hell haven’t we won yet? In all fairness the campaign is ok, it’s not crazily fun, but it’s not boring either. I just found it especially bland and uninspired. There was no sense of atmosphere to it, which is why I’d almost wish that the campaign was a little shorter.

Though the redeeming feature for me is the multiplayer, and not the crazy interwebs multiplayer, though that’s mainly due to the fact that everyone who’s still playing it are crazy good. Though the greatest multiplayer is the 4 player split screen. Sitting down with four of your friends and turning off all weapons and use grenades only, you will have even more fun than low-grav gravity hammers on Halo 3. Mainly due to the fact that there’s a flame bomb grenade thing, it’s like that one they use at the end of Underworld 2 where it releases gas then PHOOM!, everything dies.

Really Resistance is an “eh” game, but for £7.99 it’s well worth it. Also a little hint don’t buy the platinum edition, look around a bit first for the original copy because they’re cheaper. For those who want to know where to buy it now, here are some links:

America: Amazon $19.34 or $11.99 on the marketplace

UK: Amazon Platinum: £18.08 Original on the Marketplace: £4.49

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I'm surprised they didn't multiplatform it to boost Sales. Sorny doesn't need it anymore.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By NickM

Really? You're surprised that a Sony game did not come to the 360?