• 179 results
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#151  Edited By McGhee

If you're talking JRPG then I'd have to go with Grandia. It is completely turn based but you can still use part of your turn to change positions on the battle field to avoid area of affect attacks. You can also you area of affect to attack to hit multiple enemies that are grouped together.

L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#152  Edited By L44

Fable III

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#153  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Origins, I found it's combat wayyyy more enjoyable. The best, in fact. And not ruined by the rest of the shit in the game.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#154  Edited By musubi

Everyone who wants a fresh take on JRPG's needs to play Resonance of Fate. One of the freshest interesting takes on the genre in years. From the combat to the boardgame like overworld you all NEED to play it.

Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Crocio

Too many types to choose but the one that sticks out ATM is Fallout 2.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#156  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@Arker101: Dude, freaking Dragon Age Origins was outstanding in every way. Some people might say the story wasn't original, but who cares when it was done so well. As for ME, ME1 was great, ME2 not so much, but when you compare it to DA2, it was amazing.
BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By BRich

Super Mario RPG

KOTOR

asinies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#158  Edited By asinies

I dunno about best, but I thought the Paper Mario series refreshed the turn-based formula and made it entertaining. I think Turn-Based RPG's should focus a lot more on placement in the level as well as the basics.

I guess KOTOR had some fun combat as well.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By ExplodeMode

Dark Souls is kind of actiony, but it's deliberately thoughtful.  For traditional strategy I always liked Final Fantasy Tactics.

Xel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Xel

I'm going to say Valkyria Chronicles because I admire how it blended SRPG and Third Person Shooting together.

For traditional turn based combat, I'm going to call a draw between Chrono Trigger and Persona 4.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Arker101

@TheDudeOfGaming: Agreed. I had played ME2 before I had played ME1, and I could never understand why people were mad about "Stream Lining" a game, but then I played ME1 and DA2.

I quickly understood where their complaints were coming from.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By strainedeyes

Borderlands and Dark Souls.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By mac_n_nina

@sthusby: say that shit again and i'll straight fuck a nukka up. I'm fucking crazy.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#164  Edited By Jeust

Final Fantasy XII.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#165  Edited By beard_of_zeus
@Vyse said:

Grandia III has a great battle system even if the rest of the game is pretty much garbage.

The fact that I played as much of that game as I did (as well as that super generic dungeon crawler spinoff, Grandia Xtreme) is a testament to how good the Grandia battle system is. Grandia II on the Dreamcast is legimately quite excellent, though. I love all the strategy of having to figure out where you position your guys, figuring out the length of time that every attack will take, and then timing everything perfectly to cancel enemy attacks while combo-ing all your attacks together. It's a great melding of turn-based and real-time combat.

My honorable mentions would be Resonance of Fate, which has a battle system that's just the right amount of complicated, and any of the games in the Mario & Luigi RPG series. Those are a good mix of turn-based and more reactionary button pressing aspects (sort of akin to Legend of Dragoon).
Ctmskater75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Ctmskater75

Hands down, Demon's Souls has the best combat. I like how fluid it is. The way that every class of weapon has different animations and the weight works so well. The shield and spear action or can dual wield two giant swords once your strength is high enough and feel you are doing the damage you deserve to be doing. The dodge mechanic is fantastic. Character movement and strategy off knowing your speed and stamina compared to your opponents attacks make you feel like you deserve to be hit when you are. I like it more than Dark Soul's combat because I am not a big fan of the new magic system.

delorean99947

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By delorean99947

@BrockNRolla: I was a mage and used all 7 buttons for my spells. Not exactly pressing A over and over again (8 buttons were A, X, B, Y, and pressing the RT button to bring up new moves on those buttons). Not to mention I had to bring up the combat wheel to use spells that wouldn't fit into the face button scheme. The combat also looked good and was satisfying to me. I played a warrior in Dragon Age: Origins and that was basically pressing A once for auto attack, with a shield bash or other moves every now and then. It has more depth to it then it may seem, even when using a warrior. If you must go with the popular "DA2 is a horrible game no matter what" (Even when we are talking about the best thing in the game), go ahead. An opinion is an opinion, just wanted to let that out.

EDIT: My choice is FF13. That combat felt really solid and fun to use. If it wasn't for that combat, I wouldn't have beaten the game.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By BrockNRolla

@delorean99947 said:

@BrockNRolla: I was a mage and used all 7 buttons for my spells. Not exactly pressing A over and over again (8 buttons were A, X, B, Y, and pressing the RT button to bring up new moves on those buttons). Not to mention I had to bring up the combat wheel to use spells that wouldn't fit into the face button scheme. The combat also looked good and was satisfying to me. I played a warrior in Dragon Age: Origins and that was basically pressing A once for auto attack, with a shield bash or other moves every now and then. It has more depth to it then it may seem, even when using a warrior. If you must go with the popular "DA2 is a horrible game no matter what" (Even when we are talking about the best thing in the game), go ahead. An opinion is an opinion, just wanted to let that out.

EDIT: My choice is FF13. That combat felt really solid and fun to use. If it wasn't for that combat, I wouldn't have beaten the game.

So, what about that combat set it apart from Dragon Age: Origins? You played a wizard in the second game which led to you pausing and using other skills. Had you played a warrior, you would have had the same experience as Dragon Age: Origins, only this time no auto attack = pressing A over and over. Further, the pressing A over and over is a symptom of removing the auto attack, meaning even as a wizard, while you're waiting for things to recharge, you're still pressing A over and over.

That said, seeing as you're a fan of the repetitious attacking in FF13, then I'd say you're less interested in a good combat system, and more interested in something flashy. Both DA2 and FF13 are full of combat and graphical flourish, something both games have in excess, but neither provides any kind of depth to combat. So to reference the title, that DA2 has the "Best combat in an RPG? EVAR", I would say that not only is DA2 a bad game in just about every way, but the "best feature" is in fact, crap. But, that's my opinion on things. If DA3 ends up being an extension of DA2, then count me out of that series.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#169  Edited By JoeyRavn

Pokémon is the epitome of turn-based combat, if you ask me.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By ll_Exile_ll
@AlecOfTheWest said:

If we're talking about RPGs where the RPG elements have an actual effect on combat, I wouldn't really even consider Mass Effect 2, since it's basically just a carbon copy of other third-person shooter systems.

No, it has better combat than every other third person shooter due to the strategy element. The greatest addition to the combat is one that isn't often mentioned, but the Armor/barrier/shield rock, paper, scissors mechanic makes the combat more than just a simple third person shooter. Especially on insane, each scenario takes strategy and a carefully compiled squad and strategic use of powers to survive. It may not be as deep as some turned based systems, but the solid action and layer of strategy makes Mass Effect 2 my favorite RPG combat system.
inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#171  Edited By inkerman

Mount & Blade, if that's an RPG.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By neurotic

I like the Press Turn system from SMT: Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga. I also like Chrono Trigger and Tales of Vesperia. With Tales, the fact that you have to learn a character, like in a fighting game, was always awesome for me.

TranceQuina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By TranceQuina

This is a really tough choice, but I'd probably have to say Grandia II.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#174  Edited By OldGuy

I'm still partial to the SSI Gold Box Games combat system so I'll just pick Pool of Radiance since it was the first  one...

vladpen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Control 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The Souls games, especially Bloodborne.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Every game is an RPG so probably Super Metroid, Resident Evil 4, or Symphony of the Night.

As far as traditional RPGs go Vagrant Story or Valkyrie Profile 2. The Souls series is certainly up there but is sort of on the border of action game at this point.

Calmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Calmgamer

If we're talking action focused, then Dark Souls. Diablo 3 is up there too. Mass Effect 2 and 3 were dang good as well. Ys games are fun on the Vita. Haven't played many turned based games, although I am currently enjoying Xenogears. Liked FFX as we'll (discounting the mini games!).