between these two TV's...

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I hate to post this kind of things again but I'm really caught between these two tv's. It's basically coming down to a bigger plasma 720 tv versus a 1080 LED tv.

Both have great reviews (I've read tons) but almost NO reviews mention suitability for gaming. I've also been unable to find any number for input delay on either tv.

43" 720 plasma

37" 1080p LED

I seem unable to decide. Review after review says that the 720 Plasma is almost indistinguishable from a 1080 set but never mention gaming. I'm not an obsessive or a graphics whore I just figure get the best thing I can while I'm looking into it right?

I just need some thoughts from the GB community...

CrunchyPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd go with the LED, personally. LED TVs tend to have higher image quality, better backlighting, and are much lighter and thinner than plasmas. They also generate a lot less heat, which is a big problem with plasmas. You take a hit on screen size, but 720p stretched to 43" isn't going to look very good anyway.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

From what I know, anything 42" or bigger should be 1080p.

What kind of games are you playing that requires almost no input delays? Most TVs are decent enough for just gaming in general unless you are pretty anal about getting the perfect headshot or not dropping combos.

I would go with the 37" LED TV. If you do get the LED TV make sure to turn off that 120hz bullshit since that will make everything look disgusting and create input lag.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LED TVs tend to have higher image quality

Unless you're talking about TV's that exist on planet earth, and not imaginary TV's from space.

My advice would be to go to a place where you can compare the two sets in person. Or spend the few extra bucks for a 1080 plasma.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crunchypickles said:

LED TVs tend to have higher image quality

Unless you're talking about TV's that exist on planet earth, and not imaginary TV's from space.

My advice would be to go to a place where you can compare the two sets in person. Or spend the few extra bucks for a 1080 plasma.

That's fair enough, I'm going to have a look for sure before I buy but I've heard nothing but malice for the people that calibrate display models at places like Best Buy so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

And maybe the prices are different in the states but jumping to 1080 while staying with a good brand seems to add $200 to $300 to the price tag which doesn't suit me so well.

Thanks for all the replies, I think I've made up my mind. Finally. Until later this afternoon when I start second guessing myself. (probably going with the LED, the 37" size also fits my gaming space better)

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jsnyder82

Most LEDs are terrible. Go with the plasma. It will have much better black levels. I actually have that model and it's great.