"blank" killers

Spikester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Spikester

Rise of the Robots was the most hyped game of 1994, "promising" to not only to redefine the fighting genre, but it was also touted to be a "Street Fighter II killer". Despite it's great graphics and bitchin' techno soundtrack, the gameplay was a complete wreck and couldn't hold a candle to the legendary Street Fighter II. It had A.I. that was borderline stupid, clunky fighting mechanics, unbalance character sets, and stiff controls. It was panned and mocked by everyone, as Street Fight II rightfully remained king in the fighting genre at the time.

History repeated itself again (Well, sort of. This game wasn't nearly as hyped as Rise of the Robots) in 2004, with Killzone. Considered to be Sony's "Halo killer", but it's qualities were directly opposites of Halo.  For example:

• Clunky controls
  • Pathetic A.I.
  • Uninspired gameplay
  • No visceral impact from the weapons 
  • Choppy framerate
  • Buggy and glitchy
  • Bland multi-player
  • It's also one of the dullest and murkiest looking games I've ever seen, due to how grey and foggy the game looks. 

The sequel was vastly superior, and it wasn't hyped as a "Halo killer" (well, not as nearly as much as the original was). I will say that the story and characters development were rather done well in the first Killzone, unlike it's sequel that superior, gameplay wise, superior. 

Were there any other hyped "so and so" killers that failed to "kill" the game or game franchise they competing against? 
Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Spikester: Any number of GTA clones.
Spikester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Spikester
@InfamousBIG said:
" @Spikester: Any number of GTA clones. "
Especially this piece of shit. 
No Caption Provided
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Killzone had good-looking animations at least^^

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By RavenX302

I remember picking up a two worlds box cover and on the back it had "Two Worlds" and "Oblivion" on the back with a check list of all the things that two worlds had over Oblivion.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@Spikester: Oh. You meant Killzone 1....
ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By ReyGitano

I remember getting into an argument with someone who told me that Two Worlds was going to be the Elder Scrolls Killer. HAHAHAHA

Spikester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Spikester
@mylifeforAiur said:
" Killzone had good-looking animations at least^^ "
If you referring to the first-person viewed animations, you would be right. If you referring to how the character models move, then you would be wrong. The animations were so choppy that I couldn't tell if the Helghasts were either having a seizure, the framerate was chopping up again, or they were just badly animated.
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mylifeforAiur
@Spikester said:
" @mylifeforAiur said:
If you referring to the first-person viewed animations, you would be right. If you referring to how the character models move, then you would be wrong. The animations were so choppy that I couldn't tell if the Helghasts were either having a seizure, the framerate was chopping up again, or they were just badly animated. "  
Just the reloading and climbing ladders kind of stuff ;)
Vision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vision

Insert MMO after WoW here.

I have seen quite a few MMO's being hyped and claimed to be the WoW killer, so far that's not happened.

Warhammer: Online being one of them.

Spikester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Spikester
@mylifeforAiur said:
" @Spikester said:
" @mylifeforAiur said:
If you referring to the first-person viewed animations, you would be right. If you referring to how the character models move, then you would be wrong. The animations were so choppy that I couldn't tell if the Helghasts were either having a seizure, the framerate was chopping up again, or they were just badly animated. "  
Just the reloading and climbing ladders kind of stuff ;) "
Yeah, those were rather well done. It was one of the game's few redeeming qualities, along with the music and storytelling. 

@Vision said:
" Insert MMO after WoW here. "
Hey! Guild Wars was good. Then again, it was the only MMO I could get into, mainly because it was free. I haven't played much of WOW, but I hear it's one of those "love it or hate it" games.
Vision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vision

I effin' love Guild Wars, ArenaNet did the right thing from the start, they didn't go after the biggest dog in the yard, instead they went their own way and it has worked out for them. :)

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Romination

_____ Killers is just a buzz term that the press comes up with to make a game sound a lot more impressive than it is.

Spikester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Spikester
@Romination said:
" _____ Killers is just a buzz term that the press comes up with to make a game sound a lot more impressive than it is. "
In other words, a soulless marketing tactic. 
RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RavenX302
@Spikester:  you basically have no soul if your in marketing, really.
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Romination
@Spikester said:
" @Romination said:
" _____ Killers is just a buzz term that the press comes up with to make a game sound a lot more impressive than it is. "
In other words, a soulless marketing tactic.  "
Yep. Be it from the journalists or the actual companies. I think I'd wanted to blog about this but never did...
Spikester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Spikester
@RavenX302 said:

" @Spikester:  you basically have no soul if your in marketing, really. "

Eh, not really. Marketing isn't a bad way of distributing stuff, but excessive marketing can be obtrusive and be a sad excuse to promote empty materialism. You know, what the U.S.'s foundation is based-on.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By buzz_clik

Was Tattoo Assassins officially supposed to be a Mortal Kombat killer? Regardless, I love it when other people mention Rise of the Robots. What a pile of steaming sprockets that was.

Spikester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Spikester
@buzz_clik said:
" Was Tattoo Assassins officially supposed to be a Mortal Kombat killer? Regardless, I love it when other people mention Rise of the Robots. What a pile of steaming sprockets that was. "
The worst part, is that Rise of the Robots was hyped up like Halo 3 was. While Halo 3 was overhyped, it was still a great game. Plus, few games wouldn't live up to such hype, Halo 3 manages to survive it. Rise of the Robots was nothing but hype. As there was nothing going for the game, as it was a godawful game in every way imaginable. Sure, the production values were good, but the gameplay was utter shit. It's the epitome of style over substance.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@Vision said:
" Insert MMO after WoW here.  I have seen quite a few MMO's being hyped and claimed to be the WoW killer, so far that's not happened.  Warhammer: Online being one of them. "
I agree with this but Warhammer has improved a ton since it's release, but yeah in the start they tried to go head on with Wow and that was probably the biggest fuck up Mythic could have done.

@Vision said:
" I effin' love Guild Wars, ArenaNet did the right thing from the start, they didn't go after the biggest dog in the yard, instead they went their own way and it has worked out for them. :) "

I also agree with this, Guild Wars is amazing and I can't wait for 2.
Vision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vision
@Bucketdeth:  I agree, it has improved. It's still not a WoW killer though. :)
Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Does Sonic qualify? It was a pretty obvious attempt at a 'Mario Killer,' and while the first few games were pretty good, the quality started dropping exponentially after a while.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Wasn't Haze also supposed to be a Halo killer? I think Eternal Champions was supposed to be a Mortal Kombat killer.

Blank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Blank

I hate 'blank' killers :(