Borderlands Game of the Year Edition Vs GTA4 Complete edition

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By sarge1445

So I have an Issue steam has both of these fine games on sale, but I can only afford one. I heard Borderlands was amazing especially co-op ,but none of my steam friends have it. As for GTA4 I heard the PC version runs like complete garbage so I have no idea which one to get.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Surkov

If you haven't played either and you don't have people for coop, I'd say buy GTA4 Complete Edition. GTA4 and its episodes are fantastic. 

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

BORDERLANDS. It's great in Singleplayer, and if you need someone to play with just PM me. Love that game and just lost all my data so I have to start a new character anyway. GTA IV is an awful awful beast on PC. You might get lucky and it'll run, or you'll be like me, playing at 20fps with the resolution and settings pretty much as low as they will go.

RTSlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By RTSlord

i'd say borderlands, i played a big chunk of it solo and it was still plenty of fun

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Hizang

GTAIV is overrated, and it's actully quite a hard to go back to now, especially with games like L.A. Noire. Borderlands is amazing, you should really get that.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I don't understand why so many people have trouble running GTA IV on the PC. I had a midrange PC with kind of an old graphics card, and GTA IV ran like butter.

Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sarkhan

Borderlands for sure :)

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By WickedCestus

I'd say Borderlands.

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sarge1445

hmm with GTA4 being such a hog I probably should put my specs 1.7 GHZ I5 8 gigs of ram Nvidia 335m 1 gig

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Vinny_Says

I'm sure GTA4 has awesome mods to fix it's issues on PC and make it look amazing.......If you want a great story go for GTA 4

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sarge1445

@PrivateIronTFU said:

I don't understand why so many people have trouble running GTA IV on the PC. I had a midrange PC with kind of an old graphics card, and GTA IV ran like butter.

what are your system specs

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iam3green

borderlands.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By project343
@Surkov: Despite my love for Borderlands, I'm going to vote for GTA4. 

You're getting a lot more content, and a lot more polished content. Now, to top things off, I hear really poor things about the PC port of Borderlands--particularly with regards to the UI.
sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sarge1445

@project343 said:

@Surkov: Despite my love for Borderlands, I'm going to vote for GTA4. You're getting a lot more content, and a lot more polished content. Now, to top things off, I hear really poor things about the PC port of Borderlands--particularly with regards to the UI.

so at the end of the day im getting a cheap poorly optimized good game either way

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By EuanDewar

The PC version of Borderlands has some funky things going on(not to be confused with "funkay things") which make it a bit of a pain to play in certain spots. Can't speak for the PC version of GTA4, had no experience with it. 

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to be safe I would say go with Borderlands, I had absolutely no Problem running GTA IV and I would have recommended that but Borderlands would be safer.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By subject2change

PC version of Borderlands has issues connecting to online games and may have serious lag issues and what not. Personally i'd go with GTA4.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By jorbear

GTA 4 is the better game, but Borderlands is a great game nonetheless.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DystopiaX

GTAIV, get that visual pack that I've heard so much about. Borderlands is better on console cause of PC porting, and if you don't have friends for co-op that's even worse.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@PrivateIronTFU: A shit ton of compatibility issues. It wasn't that it was generally poorly optimized, but that most builds simply hate the code. I could run Crysis 2 at max settings better than GTA IV and min settings.

@Subject2Change said:

PC version of Borderlands has issues connecting to online games and may have serious lag issues and what not. Personally i'd go with GTA4.

I've played with a lot of people, and never had lag except once when a friend was downloading a movie off of amazon or something.

rybrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rybrad

Borderlands is one of my favorite games of all times so that gets my vote. I will say though that I absolutely loved The Lost and the Damned, it was a great episode.

Edit: In regards to all the people saying they had issues with Borderlands PC, I will add my own anecdotal evidence. Steam says I have put 218 hours into Borderlands and much of that was with 1-3 people playing co-op with me. During that time we had no issues that prevented us from playing and enjoying our sessions. I tend to despise direct console ports but this game was good enough for me not to care about the little, annoying things.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By bybeach

Even though I am terminally bored of Borderlands now. Thats just how much I played it, and all the dlc except underdome and end of Revolution. GTA IV to be honest didn't appeal to me after an hour, and maybe not even a fair comparison.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MezZa

Borderlands. You don't need to co-op to enjoy it. I've put months into the game, and it was all solo.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By WightnNerdy

Borderlands hands down. Grand Theft Auto IV is great but extremely over-rated.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By ajamafalous

Borderlands, because GTA IV runs like shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Borderlands without a doubt, Hundreds of hours put into it while GTA IV I just messed around in it for about a week until I got bored. Didn't play the DLC though.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@sarge1445: Specs don't matter much, the better your specs, the better you'll run, for sure, but it's the kind of thing were you can run Crysis at max, native with AA but GTAIV runs like shit.

The quality of the ports are equal, and at least Borderlands will almost certainly be PLAYABLE. The interface for the inventory and the video settings are awful, but otherwise it controls great and runs well. Neither are lookers, and both have a good bit of jank, but all in all I think Borderlands is more clean fun. If you want a deep, narrative experience though, GTA IV will knock your socks off.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By subject2change
@MordeaniisChaos said:

@PrivateIronTFU: A shit ton of compatibility issues. It wasn't that it was generally poorly optimized, but that most builds simply hate the code. I could run Crysis 2 at max settings better than GTA IV and min settings.

@Subject2Change said:

I've played with a lot of people, and never had lag except once when a friend was downloading a movie off of amazon or something.

This is my experience from when the game first came out, issues of ports and what not were the biggest downfalls of it. I never really went back after completing it once.
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@sarge1445: No, your getting a potentially HORRIBLY optimized game or a well optimized game with like, 2 glaring interface options. GTA IV has a ton of technical issues, the driving isn't great, there are a lot of janky bits, tos of glitches... In terms of which is a better "port" borderlands wins in every aspect.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hatking

I can't speak about the PC versions of the games, but as a person who has spent a lot of time with both games on the Xbox, I would recommend GTAIV over Borderlands.  Borderlands is an okay (i.e.: if the art style and loot weren't there, it would not be very fun) shooter with some great visuals and a very well implemented loot-grind hook.  If you're playing solo, the game will get stale much quicker than it takes to finish it.  Also the story is garbage.  It was clearly something slapped on at the last moment.  Prepare to be utterly disappointed when you finish the main story in Borderlands. 

Grand Theft Auto is a great open world game with some of the best writing (it is a Rockstar game) around.  I'm not sure how well the shooting mechanics would hold up now - Red Dead improved them so much that GTA might be hard to play if you've never played it before.  Also the DLC in GTAIV is probably the best DLC I've ever seen.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By Simplexity

If you haven't played GTA4 before definately go for that.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

GTA is the correct answer, IF on a console. I've heard bad things regarding the PC version though.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#33  Edited By BeachThunder

Borderlands, then once you've finished playing Borderlands play the second playthrough =D

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Aronman789

Borderlands is boring as hell alone, at one point I stopped and started cleaning my room because I was so bored, but with others it can be hella fun. 

So unless you have someone to play with, I say go GTA4.

BlackjackCF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BlackjackCF

This is pretty damn hard, considering I love the GTA series. However, Borderlands was definitely a breath of fresh air for me. It's amazing on both single player and multiplayer. I'd definitely get Borderlands GOTY.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By Azteck
@MordeaniisChaos said:

@Subject2Change said:

Yup, never had an issue here either with Borderlands.
l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By l4wd0g

I think the Borderlands experience is less than ideal when compared to it's console counterparts.

Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By Joru

Why are the FIFA Manager games on Jeff's account?

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#39  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Borderlands.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Aus_azn

Borderlands is definitely the better game. However, I've had so many issues trying to get it to connect with other people. It's an absolute shitfest to get working, and I had to resort to using Hamachi VPN to play with my friends, who all had much and much the same issue.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By EpicSteve

To be safe, I would get Borderlands. I ran GTA IV on the PC fine. Mind you, I only played it for about an hour. I went through Borderlands mostly solo, and I had a blast. However, find a way to play both titles. I think those two games are some of this generation's best.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#42  Edited By Sooperspy

Borderlands if you have some people to play with. GTA4 if you are lonely.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CL60

GTAIV is better in my opinion. I didn't much like Borderlands. I thought it was boring. I don't see the point of playing a game that seemingly is just an MMO without the massively multiplayer part.

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DAFTPUNK

borderlands man I loved that game so fucking much!
just what I wanted from a video game.