Bring back the WWII FPS!

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Rebel_Scum

I think its time. The weapons used in modern warfare (not the game but modern guns and warfare in general) suck. Doesn't even feel like your shooting a gun. Just a week "put put" noise whilst holding a BB gun with no kickback feel. Does anyone else feel its time for BF/COD developers to go back in time to a more man to man era with rifles. I'd even go for a WWI, Boer war, cival war era if they don't want to do WWII again.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By sopranosfan

Not for me. I have killed more Nazis than I can count. While I do agree that the modern warfare setting is getting overplayed some, it still offers more variety than WWII shooters.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By GS_Dan

Have you played a DICE game? Those guns shoot real good.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By AlexW00d

Yeah guns in most of the FPS I play handle and sound real good. You should play Red Orchestra 2. That's WW2 and the guns handle and sound really good.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By crusader8463

I want to see Dinosaurs get their chance to be in the lime light. A L4D style dino game.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rebel_Scum

@crusader8463 said:

I want to see Dinosaurs get their chance to be in the lime light. A L4D style dino game.

Ha ha classic.

@GS_Dan: I have BBC2 and the guns don't really compare as much. I find it more fun when you've got a K98 or an M1 that can fire off only one round at a time and hear that "chink" noise when your rounds are out before reloading.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Skytylz

I don't want a flood of them like before, but a good one every other year or so would be great.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MezZa

I'd rather see something a little more creative than just falling back on an idea that's already been bled dry.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gargantuan

I'm tired of killing Nazis, Russians and random middle eastern guys. More sci-fi please!

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By UlquioKani

I hate playing games with old guns. I think they should take it to the future rather than backwards

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SSully

How about we get a good sci fi or futuristic miltary shooter? I thought BF 2142 was awesome. Give me that with lasers, space combat, and wookies and ill be happy.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Winternet

I don't think they never went away. I'm pretty sure a fare share of them came out last year.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By KarlPilkington

I liked Medal of Honor: Airborne a lot, there I said it.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SomeDeliCook

How about we don't go back and instead move onto a new theme in general. Like... something original.

jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jelekeloy

I want super clean sci-fi settings to be the next trend.

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By B0nd07

I agree to an extent. As long as it's not the only thing they're making. We need variety. That's why I got Red Orchestra 2, even though I'm not as interested in the Russia vs. Germany side of the war.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By confusedowl

@Skytylz said:

I don't want a flood of them like before, but a good one every other year or so would be great.

Pretty much this. I'm not a big fan of the FPS genre in general, but I really don't want to go back to seeing dozens of WWII shooters being released every year again. I don't mind the whole modern shooter thing, my problem with them is the whole "AMERICA RULEZ!!!!111" Feel to them. Maybe they could base it off another country every now and then?

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rebel_Scum

@KarlPilkington said:

Yeah thats a good game but online it sucks balls. Need a new good online WW2 shooter. Still hooked on COD3 but would like to play a more updated WW2 online FPS. Lets face it the modern warfare style game was stale before MW3. BF3 is still alright though.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jimbo

@KarlPilkington said:

I did as well actually.

It helped that I got it free from the EA Store when they fucked up one of their special offers.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By KarlPilkington

@Jimbo: Yeah I thought it deserved better than what it got. Although I do remember some sort of bridge level with gattling guns that was very difficult. Nazis sure are mean.

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By McBEEF

I do love my WW2 FPS action-What I really want is a chance to play as the Germans in a full single player game though, a bit of variety.

A few WW2 FPS are fine, dont need every shooter to go back to it. The next BiA should tide me over when it comes out.

Edit: A new futuristic war would also be great, or better yet, a new timesplitters game which could combine new and old

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dagas

I'd like to see more 80's era games. That would have the same guns as modern warfare games for the most part but without the crazier high tech stuff. World in Conflict was such a great RTS I wish more FPS games had the same setting. Set in 1989 which is close enough to the prestent that most people remember or at least can understand that era and it's far enough back we can still have the classic Soviet vs US conflict instead of the middle eastern terrorists or non-soviet russians we have gotten used to lately.

RageExpressive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RageExpressive

I wanna see some musket action in the Napoleonic Wars or the American Civil War...you use your left stick to stay in file and advance in formation and use your right stick to aim. Then you pull the right trigger to fire and the left trigger to duck and reload. I think it would be a megaseller ;D

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jimbo
@KarlPilkington

@Jimbo: Yeah I thought it deserved better than what it got. Although I do remember some sort of bridge level with gattling guns that was very difficult. Nazis sure are mean.

Jew better believe it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Just play DOD: Source. ;-)

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sjupp

@Gargantuan said:

I'm tired of killing Nazis, Russians and random middle eastern guys. More sci-fi please!

Where do you go after space though?

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jay444111

I want a Bioware made WW2 shooter rpg... come on, you guys know you want it!

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tim_the_corsair

To me it's less the setting and more the specific scenarios that desperately need a change.

Make a modern/near-future game that isn't about America versus Russia or North Korea. Give me something based off an alternate future scenario, like a new American civil war, or an invasion of Australia by Indonesia (not saying this is a likely real life event at all, but it's probably more likely than a Russian/American WW3!), give me a full scale, Risk-esque style world war where EVERYONE is fighting everyone else.

For that matter, give me a WW2 game where you are a German, spanning the whole war, or fighting in China against the Japanese, or Finland, or as a resistance fighter in Yugoslavia, or as an old man called up to fight the Japs in New Guinea in desperate, brutal, bloody jungle fighting where no prisoners were taken and it was bayonets versus swords.

Shit like that isn't played out. The Russian invasion of Europe and America is played out. The western front is played out.

Hell, WW1 and earlier offer great opportunities for game - it wasn't all trench warfare.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By napalm

No.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Risk-esque style world war where EVERYONE is fighting everyone else.

That sounds awesome.

RageExpressive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RageExpressive

On a serious note, I would like a role as a British infantryman instead of just the Americanized SAS that CoD players are used to by now. If they released that, I would probably play it all day long every day...Its sorta why I like BF3 so much at the moment, the L85A2, the rifle I used and hated for several years is finally at my finger tips ;D

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MikeGosot
@Sjupp said:

@Gargantuan said:

We start all over again. Dinossaur Wars. 

@Tim_the_Corsair: I would love a game where i was a Resistance Fighter in Yugoslavia, it would be so awesome.
Tomkang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Tomkang

Anything aside from WWII and Modern America vs. Middle East setting.

I really want Star Wars Battlefront 3, sadly the developer shut down.

We really need a FPS that doesn't revolve around TDM. We need more games that encourage proper team work

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never thought I would say this... but, yeah. I'm ready for another WW2 game. Just not with a CoD-style campaign. I want one that's much more open than that and with larger battles so it actually feels like a war is going on rather than a series of gun fights.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@Gargantuan said:

How about North Koreans?

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By time allen

@SomeDeliCook said:

How about we don't go back and instead move onto a new theme in general. Like... something original.

haha good one

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37  Edited By buzz_killington

I just finished the last Brothers in Arms game last week, and yeah, you can't beat that punchy recoil with anything.

yahto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By yahto

Supposedly this year we're getting the new Brothers in Arms, although I don't know how to feel about the style they're going for. I'd much rather an influence from Band of Brothers, not Inglourious Basterds, but for the Bulletstorm/Borderlands gameplay they're going for, it does make some sense.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By fini_fly

@Sjupp said:

@Gargantuan said:

Innerspace

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't mind the return of the WWII fps as long as we don't flood the market like last time (and like we do now with Modern Military shooters); we need to get better at finding the right balance - also something more original would be nice too, how about sci-fi WWII on Mars.

On the subject of guns, I have to agree that nothing beats the punch of a bolt-action rifle to center mass, without being forced to look through a Sniper Scope that is. I guess that is why I liked World At War a lot, long sight lines and iron-sights on bolt-action rifles.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By inkerman

How bout something a bit different? I'd really love someone to turn the FPS genre on its head, either by increasing scale or capabilities (like an open world fps with real consequences for actions). Aside from that, how about some Balkans style settings?

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By MysteriousBob

Please, no. I'm sick of modern shooters but WWII is even worse.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By kingzetta

don't bring back shit 
make something new

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Single player campaign where you play as a German soldier....that is all I want. I prefer WW2 shooters over modern day

RickJames123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RickJames123

I agree, bringing it back would be a good idea. The modern FPS genre seemed like a good idea first, but now it's overused and boring.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NekuSakuraba

How long ago was it that people wanted to get rid off WWII games, now they miss them? Damn.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Put some kind of fucked up twist to it and It could be interesting.

Fozimuth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Fozimuth

There's plenty that can be done with it with new physics and destruction I suppose, but there's not much you can do to separate it from completing objectives and using the same guns we've been using since Medal of Honor.

I thought the WWII intro level in Bad Company 2 was pretty good, especially compared to the utter blandness of the rest of the campaign. Something like that turned into a full game would be good. Not the next big thing, but I would play it at some point. But I guess just because it wouldn't be the "next big thing" prevents anyone from making it.