Broken Discs and Journeys Through Space

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It's now almost a whole month since my last blog and with the 30 day mark looming I decided to stop buy and drop off another blog about my latest exploits. Some notable games I've played since I last blogged include Halo 3, Halo 2, Rock Band 2, Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2, Gears of War 2, Age of Booty, Spore, Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2, Halo Wars and Soul Calibur IV, so I've been keeping myself busy.

Unfortunately my undying love for Halo has been struck down in its tracks. Halo 3 is the my most played Xbox LIVE game and possibly my most played game on the 360 overall but recently my Xbox has been making strange noises when running the game, this seemed a bit weird it but it was no big deal, it was an old disc and there wasn't much point copying the game to the hard-drive (I don't have the space and there are loading issues when you run the game off the hard-drive as well) so I carried on playing. All was well until I was entering the matchmaking lobby after a successful game of Grifball on Sandbox. My screen had turned completely black and the console seemed to have frozen, again nothing seemed particularly out of the ordinary and I just figured this was the Xbox being the Xbox. I turned my console off and on again and made a few attempts to start the game again, no luck. After a few fruitless endeavours at trying to make this thing worked I took out and disc and looked at it and to my horror I found that my Xbox had put two large scratches right down the disc. So I guess that means I'll need a new Halo 3, I was thinking of getting the Collector's Edition this time round.

But it's not been all bad, I mean have lost a game but I've also got 2 new ones... Kinda.

First off there's Peggle which for a bit I hesitated getting because the one worry in my head was "sure it seems fun now but how much longevity is this game really gonna have when I'm just shooting balls at pegs". But I got it, I completed it and I got a few of the achievements of it and I must say it was pretty fun, it feels great to get that awesome shot you were trying to pull off, bouncing the ball off of one peg to another or when you manage to build up a huge score with just one shot. I haven't been played it in a while but I'm glad I bought it; I've had a good time with the game.

I've also downloaded the trial version of EVE Online which again I've hesitated about due to the costs. You have to pay quite a bit to make an account and then on top of that there's a subscription fee which is greater than that of World of Warcraft. But I have 14 free days of play (well, actually I only have about 8 left) and it's been not just enjoyable but also very unique. It's hard to describe in any brief fashion quite why EVE is so unlike other MMOs but somewhere between its environment and it's gameplay it just likes to do things very differently. Skills aren't about repeating the same tasks ova and over, you simply add the skill you want to improve to the skill queue and your character will learn the next level over a period of time (whether you're online or not). The game also takes a different spin on character equipment, using an unconventional system for equipping ship parts and involving buying new ships. I wouldn't say it's the MMO for everyone and the price is still putting me off buying the full game a little but it's still been a great experience.

There's probably a lot more to talk about but when I start approaching a full page on Microsoft Word I think that means I've yakked on just about enough for this blog. Thanks for reading, who knows when the next one will be. But this week I'll leave you with Giant Bomb's quick look at Dragonball: Evolution.

-Gamer_152

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It's now almost a whole month since my last blog and with the 30 day mark looming I decided to stop buy and drop off another blog about my latest exploits. Some notable games I've played since I last blogged include Halo 3, Halo 2, Rock Band 2, Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2, Gears of War 2, Age of Booty, Spore, Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2, Halo Wars and Soul Calibur IV, so I've been keeping myself busy.

Unfortunately my undying love for Halo has been struck down in its tracks. Halo 3 is the my most played Xbox LIVE game and possibly my most played game on the 360 overall but recently my Xbox has been making strange noises when running the game, this seemed a bit weird it but it was no big deal, it was an old disc and there wasn't much point copying the game to the hard-drive (I don't have the space and there are loading issues when you run the game off the hard-drive as well) so I carried on playing. All was well until I was entering the matchmaking lobby after a successful game of Grifball on Sandbox. My screen had turned completely black and the console seemed to have frozen, again nothing seemed particularly out of the ordinary and I just figured this was the Xbox being the Xbox. I turned my console off and on again and made a few attempts to start the game again, no luck. After a few fruitless endeavours at trying to make this thing worked I took out and disc and looked at it and to my horror I found that my Xbox had put two large scratches right down the disc. So I guess that means I'll need a new Halo 3, I was thinking of getting the Collector's Edition this time round.

But it's not been all bad, I mean have lost a game but I've also got 2 new ones... Kinda.

First off there's Peggle which for a bit I hesitated getting because the one worry in my head was "sure it seems fun now but how much longevity is this game really gonna have when I'm just shooting balls at pegs". But I got it, I completed it and I got a few of the achievements of it and I must say it was pretty fun, it feels great to get that awesome shot you were trying to pull off, bouncing the ball off of one peg to another or when you manage to build up a huge score with just one shot. I haven't been played it in a while but I'm glad I bought it; I've had a good time with the game.

I've also downloaded the trial version of EVE Online which again I've hesitated about due to the costs. You have to pay quite a bit to make an account and then on top of that there's a subscription fee which is greater than that of World of Warcraft. But I have 14 free days of play (well, actually I only have about 8 left) and it's been not just enjoyable but also very unique. It's hard to describe in any brief fashion quite why EVE is so unlike other MMOs but somewhere between its environment and it's gameplay it just likes to do things very differently. Skills aren't about repeating the same tasks ova and over, you simply add the skill you want to improve to the skill queue and your character will learn the next level over a period of time (whether you're online or not). The game also takes a different spin on character equipment, using an unconventional system for equipping ship parts and involving buying new ships. I wouldn't say it's the MMO for everyone and the price is still putting me off buying the full game a little but it's still been a great experience.

There's probably a lot more to talk about but when I start approaching a full page on Microsoft Word I think that means I've yakked on just about enough for this blog. Thanks for reading, who knows when the next one will be. But this week I'll leave you with Giant Bomb's quick look at Dragonball: Evolution.

-Gamer_152

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

If it's the disc that's broken...you're screwed. Either buy a new copy, or a disc doctor. None of those Internet methods work.

(And I know the feeling. I played the original Kingdom Hearts until the damn thing broke.)