Buy a Playstation and help kill a gorilla.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

I did not know this, but the Playstation contains an element called coltan.  Almost all the coltan comes the The Democratic Republic of Congo and is mined illegally.  They burn the forest and strip the soil for coltan.  In doing this, they kill rare and endangered gorillas.  Apparently there is a perfectly good substitute in a ceramic transistor, but it isn't being used enough.

Quote:
"Kids in Congo were being sent down mines to die so that kids in Europe and America could kill imaginary aliens in their living rooms," claims British politician Oona King, a Labour Member of Parliament for Bethnal Green and Bow from 1997 to 2005.

Quite sad really and certainly made me stop and think.  So often we western consumers in reality have blood on our hands for the items we desire (like coffee and chocolate).

To be fair on Sony, mobile phones are probably the biggest user of coltan, so at least make sure you recycle your mobile to ensure that the coltan is extracted and reused.

How many of us are actually aware of the story behind coltan?

deadmonkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deadmonkeys

Oona King huh? Moar liek Fabrikashun Gonzales.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Meowayne

Old.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By PureRok

April Fool's!

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
Meowayne said:
"Old."
Which is why I said that I did not know this, not that it is new.  I must have been living under a rock.  I am most likely correct in saying that many of us never heard about this.

PureRok said:
"April Fool's!"
That was yesterday, and no, this is a real news story.  I only found out because it was part of a news story on Australia's.\,  The World Today, on the ABC.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks

There's no April fools here >_>, this is in fact true. Coltan is a compound of Niobite and Tantalite

I was not aware it was used in PS2 though.

What's happening in the Congo is terrible, and it's due to many much wanted natural resources the country has, including this one. It's having a very destructive effect on all those that live there, not just the wildlife and the precious Gorilla's. The greed is fucking up that country severely and many people are dying in a war that is essentially about taking control of the resources.

Oona King used to be my local MP when I lived in East London during my University days.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PureRok

I just live with this saying passing through my head at everything I read, see, or hear:

"Who cares? I don't."

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Alex_Murphy
oldschool said:
"make sure you recycle your mobile to ensure that the coltan is extracted and reused."
Never! I save my old phones so I can look back and laugh at what used to be cutting edge. And really, if this stuff is so valuable that kids and gorillas are being killed for it then the idea that I would give it away for free is even more ridiculous.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
Linkyshinks said:
"There's no April fools here >_>, this is in fact true. Coltan is a compound of Niobite and Tantalite
I was not aware it was used in PS2 though. What's happening in the Congo is terrible, and it's due to many much wanted natural resources, including this one. It's having a very destructive effect on all those that live there. The west's greed is fucking up that country severely. It's being bled.Oona King used to be my local MP when I lived in East London during my University days."
The west's greed is the cause of most of the world's problems.  I sell coffee and chocolate, but I am confidant that it isn't sourced from child slaves on the east of Africa.  Can't be sure though.  Then there is the sweatshops we get our clothing from.  Is there anything we do that doesn't destroy the world? 

Western governments should be more proactive in enforcing change by making certain products illegal.  Big business has too much say in government.

No easy answers.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

OOoh... you'd be my best friend if you were around :(
Coffee and chocolate mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks

In truth it's not just the west, India, China and Japan's economies are very dependent on the mineral given their investment in electronics. The alternative which can be used is more expensive...

What's happening in the Congo right now is shambolic, it's a dirty stain on this world and it bares testament to how this world works. It's little talked about by the powers that be, because nobody wants to kick up a fuss when they have their own interests to consider.

I could post some nasty videos here, but there's no need to sour this thread. All I will say is that what's happening in Congo is shocking, and everyone knows about it, yet nothing is done

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

And then you're supposed to believe when something does happen in another part of the world, which coincidentally holds certain interesting materials, it's purely done to save and protect people from tyranny and harm... When you get what you want, there's no reason to save anyone...

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Jayge_
oldschool said:
"
How many of us are actually aware of the story behind coltan?

"
I am. It's fairly old news. I was pretty sure Sony put out something that said they wouldn't be using it anymore in future products. I think it was a PS2 only thing.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldschool
Al3xand3r said:
"OOoh... you'd be my best friend if you were around :(Coffee and chocolate mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Only if you like the product made by a certain company based in Switzerland :-)

I thought that you Greeks like your coffee short and strong?
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By penguindust

It's sad but I think it ranks pretty low on the list of cases organizations like Amnesty International [http://www.amnesty.org/] and Human Right Watch [http://www.hrw.org/] are trying to amend.  The situation in Darfur, Sudan alone has been a disgrace to humankind for years.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By brukaoru

I had heard about this a while ago, but it wasn't as big of a shock to find out since other products from various companies contained coltan as well. If the PS2 wasn't so popular, they probably wouldn't have used coltan, or would have needed much less. Sad either way, but it seems Sony is using coltan from a variety of sources now.

William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By William

I guess i'll get a ps3 then.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By kashif1

what exactly does the stuff do anyway

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Diamond

When surrounded in an electromagnetic field, Coltan provides the extra-dimensional capacity to render true 4D graphics, like only the Playstation 3 can do.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Coltan is also used in the majority of cell phones I believe.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By BiggerBomb

*Looks left and right, quickly, with a silly grin on his face*

That's why I play Xbox!

*Runs away*