Cajun's Thoughts on the new 360 Bundle and Valkyria Chronicles

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

Edited By CenturionCajun

So, after a good many internet rumors Microsoft confirmed a new bundle for the $399.99 Xbox 360 Elite. Replacing the old pack in of Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indiana Jones will be Halo 3 and Fable II. I don't think I have to tell anyone what a big deal this is. While the previous two games were decent the new ones are rather incredible. 

Halo 3 was the highest selling game of 2007 and has sold around 9 million copies worldwide. With over a billion online matches played it consistently appears at the top of the month Xbox Live play charts. Fable II is no slouch in its own right. The sequel to Lionhead's critically acclaimed Xbox RPG since its release in October of 2008 it has sold nearly 3 million copies.

While I don't foresee this new bundle causing a spike in 360 sales it does make the most expensive SKU a much sweeter deal. In comparison to the equally priced 80 GB PS3, which comes with no games, it produces a heavily weighted proposition in Microsoft's favor. It will be intersting to see if instead of a price drop Sony decides to begin packing in some good games with their new PS3s. Hopefully the trend of giving away crummy games with new consoles will end.

In other news Sega's quasi-turn based strategy game Valkyria Chronicles appears to be returning from the grave. Releasing in November 2008 it sold a dismal 33,000 units in its release month. Despite high critical reviews it seemed destined to sink into obscurity as a good but forgotten game.

Like the phoenix from the ashes good word of mouth and a discounted price are bringing it back. While I find it saddening that it has taken a price drop, with Gamestop going so far as to put it in its Game Day Sale, to bring about these numbers I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. New DLC missions were released earlier this month and I hope this is a sign that Sega intends to support this wonderful game and possibly create a sequel.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By CenturionCajun

So, after a good many internet rumors Microsoft confirmed a new bundle for the $399.99 Xbox 360 Elite. Replacing the old pack in of Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indiana Jones will be Halo 3 and Fable II. I don't think I have to tell anyone what a big deal this is. While the previous two games were decent the new ones are rather incredible. 

Halo 3 was the highest selling game of 2007 and has sold around 9 million copies worldwide. With over a billion online matches played it consistently appears at the top of the month Xbox Live play charts. Fable II is no slouch in its own right. The sequel to Lionhead's critically acclaimed Xbox RPG since its release in October of 2008 it has sold nearly 3 million copies.

While I don't foresee this new bundle causing a spike in 360 sales it does make the most expensive SKU a much sweeter deal. In comparison to the equally priced 80 GB PS3, which comes with no games, it produces a heavily weighted proposition in Microsoft's favor. It will be intersting to see if instead of a price drop Sony decides to begin packing in some good games with their new PS3s. Hopefully the trend of giving away crummy games with new consoles will end.

In other news Sega's quasi-turn based strategy game Valkyria Chronicles appears to be returning from the grave. Releasing in November 2008 it sold a dismal 33,000 units in its release month. Despite high critical reviews it seemed destined to sink into obscurity as a good but forgotten game.

Like the phoenix from the ashes good word of mouth and a discounted price are bringing it back. While I find it saddening that it has taken a price drop, with Gamestop going so far as to put it in its Game Day Sale, to bring about these numbers I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. New DLC missions were released earlier this month and I hope this is a sign that Sega intends to support this wonderful game and possibly create a sequel.

DerkDigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DerkDigg

well, the new bundle is tremendous for Microsoft, thats like sony coming out with a uncharted bundle INCLUDING sayyy resistance 2?
and thats pretty far fetched.

nice blog

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CenturionCajun

Yeah, I still can't quite believe they're going to be giving away two of their biggest games on the console. Halo 3 I could kind of believe but Fable II has only been out for about six months. On the other hand it makes sense to weigh people more towards buying the most expensive version of their system.

And thank you.