Campaign against Playstation Plus Paywall

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Th3birdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Th3birdman

Hey fellow Playstation fans.

During the playstation 4 E3 reveal, we were (no so) treated to perhaps the most unfortunate news of all: you now have to pay $50 a year to play Playstation 4 games online.

Playstation Plus is a great deal for some, and I get the perks, but putting the multiplayer behind a paywall is anti-consumer and bull.

You have already paid the developer for the multiplayer portion of the game and the servers to run said game. Why do you have to pay again to access that part of the game? If that's the case, then shouldn't the game be half priced, if we're getting half a game?

Take to twitter. Tweet @Yosp, @Sony, and @Playstation, and tell them we do not want this. It will work if we get enough people behind it, because it worked for them not to include DRM on the used games.

Hash tag is #PS4FreeOnlinePlay.

Even if you like PS+, please support the movement. It will affect you too, as it will degrade the service because it is now mandatory. Ergo, there is no longer incentive to keep it a good service.

Thanks, and good luck to us

(Please don't troll this topic.)

Mods feel free to move if placed in the wrong area.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Darji

Not a troll but maybe you should read Sony's response why they did that and what it will exclude as well. It is a necessary step as sadly as it is. But PSN+ has a ton of value and we really should not try and uproar against anything that changes. There are things that need to change and things that should not change no matter what.

"That's [was] a big decision," he said, "

what we internally discussed and decided is that we will continue the free access to online play on PS3 and Vita, so that's clear. But because on PS4 the online connectivity features such as second screen, auto downloads and share features - these are one big pillar of the PS4 experience and we will continue to invest in this area to expand and improve these online features and services.

"If we keep giving away online access for free, the natural pressure is that we have to cut down on the cost to provide this free service. But that's conflicting with our goal of being able to provide very robust and great online services going forward. So we decided that on PS4, because we want to continue to invest and improve our new services, we've asked the most engaged consumers in the online activities to share the burden with us so that we can continue to invest."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/413823/sony-ps4-multiplayer-fee-will-fund-improvements/

They are really honest about it and I really appreciate it.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Sorry, but I don't see the point. PS3 online was so far behind 360 it wasn't funny. If Sony is committed to making a top-tier experience, I'll be glad to pay the yearly fee. Not only that, but they're not locking 3rd party media apps or free-to-play games behind the pay wall, so we know our money is going toward top-tier online.

Th3birdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Th3birdman

@yukoasho said:

Sorry, but I don't see the point. PS3 online was so far behind 360 it wasn't funny. If Sony is committed to making a top-tier experience, I'll be glad to pay the yearly fee. Not only that, but they're not locking 3rd party media apps or free-to-play games behind the pay wall, so we know our money is going toward top-tier online.

I disagree. PSN was and is absolutely fine, and I don't need it to change. I just want to play my games online without all the bells and whistles. I'd absolutely settle for zero social features if it meant online play wasn't paywalled.

I am one of those people Plus doesn't benefit. So I'm essentially paying $50 a year for something that was taken away fromme.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Darji

@th3birdman said:

@yukoasho said:

I disagree. PSN was and is absolutely fine, and I don't need it to change. I just want to play my games online without all the bells and whistles. I'd absolutely settle for zero social features if it meant online play wasn't paywalled.

I am one of those people Plus doesn't benefit. So I'm essentially paying $50 a year for something that was

taken away fromme

You will also profit form many new features like instant downloading and playable after buying it for example. Also stuff like netflix free to play and mmos wills till be free. Also getting data from your friends like ghost cars for competition etc. Sony is already really understanding and if they could have done it they would most likely kept it the same but they cant at some point.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By devilzrule27

Already a thread for this and it was met with general dismissiveness.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

taken away fromme

You are not entitled to free online. They have decided, as most businesses do, that something done well is something they should be paid for, and doing so will allow them to invest farther.

Tweeting will not be enough if you already consider yourself owning a PS4. Seriously consider whether or not said lockdown on multiplayer will cause you to go buy a Wii U or a high-end PC instead, because if it isn't, this is impotent whinging rather than true protest.

Also, it helps that I personally couldn't care less because a) I want PS+ and b) I really don't want to play games multiplayer anymore. Like, ever. The last game where the actual online multiplayer (rather than leaderboards) mattered to me was Mass Effect 3.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Please don't make the same thread that someone else has already made.

And if you are that same person, please don't make multiple accounts. Thank you.

Th3birdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is for people who want to support the effort, and at least try to do something about this. It's not for those with negative attitudes, and I'm not asking for opinions. The Twitter campaign begun 2 days ago, I'm just promoting it.

Th3birdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And if you are that same person, please don't make multiple accounts. Thank you.

This is not the same thread.

May have the same general point, but perhaps the hashtag is different (I don't know, as I didn't read the other thread). I'm not asking for opinions nor am I looking for justification or arguing. Just trying to promote a twitter campaign, one which I believe will be effective should we hit the ground running.

I also am not the same person. I've created this exact thread on other sites, of which I am a member and will gladly provide links to those sites proving who I am. I'm just a lurker who decided to finally register for GB.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devilzrule27 said:

This thread is for people who want to support the effort, and at least try to do something about this. It's not for those with negative attitudes, and I'm not asking for opinions. The Twitter campaign begun 2 days ago, I'm just promoting it.

How does that change the fact that someone already made a thread asking people to support and the lovely people of Giantbomb didn't care.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@th3birdman said:

@devilzrule27 said:

I was a pretty big proponent of the #PS4NoDRM campeign (and you can see me arguing for it in that thread). I think it's perfectly fine for you to have your opinion and to make your voice heard on the matter.

I, however, will personally not be supporting this particular cause. PS+ is amazing, they're going to make it more amazing / at least continue in its current course, and I'm 100% behind it. All PS users should be on PS+ already - I really think it's that good.

Th3birdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Th3birdman

@devilzrule27:

@th3birdman said:

@devilzrule27 said:

How does that change the fact that someone already made a thread asking people to support and the lovely people of Giantbomb didn't care.

Was that a question, or a statement?

Anyway, this thread is for the people that DO care. It's not about arguing for its validity. I'm trying to rout the people for which it is already valid. The people that don't care can simply skip it, no?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Darji

@th3birdman said:

@truthtellah said:

May have the same general point, but perhaps the hashtag is different (I don't know, as I didn't read the other thread). I'm not asking for opinions nor am I looking for justification or arguing. Just trying to promote a twitter campaign, one which I believe will be effective should we hit the ground running.

I also am not the same person. I've created this exact thread on other sites, of which I am a member and will gladly provide links to those sites proving who I am. I'm just a lurker who decided to finally register for GB.

That is not a cool attitude to have, Why will you not even listen to people? And when you are not willing to listen why should Sony even listen? This is not how it works. In the DRM campaign people were listening but they opposite site had no arguments and it was something that even goes against some laws in Europe. It is always nice to want something for free but without even being reasonable to any arguments people will not take you seriously

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@truthtellah said:

And now we've seen, flagged and ignored your thread. That being said, you aren't entitled to a goddamn thing, and your "movement" seems petty. Don't be that guy. Please and thank you.

IcedWhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're a Microsoft employee arn't you?

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devilzrule27:

@devilzrule27 said:

@th3birdman said:

@devilzrule27 said:

Was that a question, or a statement?

Anyway, this thread is for the people that DO care. It's not about arguing for its validity. I'm trying to rout the people for which it is already valid. The people that don't care can simply skip it, no?

So you created a thread that isn't about discussion but advertising for your "cause"?

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Christ I hate humanity sometimes and I am only 28. Please go google and read up on how a corporate level server is run/how much it cost and now imagine doing that as a service on a global level for at least the next 10 years. You will know why this is now a pay service. You may not agree but there is a valid reason and as much as I feel for you, after all this is a down grade no matter how we look at it, their reason is sound.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By FacelessVixen

*long and dry sigh*

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

im all for paying for playstation plus. if it wasnt for sony i wouldnt even be interesting in the next gen consoles. i will pay 5 dolars a month gladly. as i did with the xbox 360, a superior service deserves to be supported so that it can grow and become better.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#21 chaser324  Moderator