Avatar image for operationtophat
OperationTophat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OperationTophat

Hey everyone, I just moved to China and the internet connection I have in my apartment is shitty. I can't watch any videos on Giant Bomb anymore because they take so long to load.  I am using a MBP with the newest version of Safari.  With such a crappy connection, should I be using streaming or progressive?  What's the difference?  What else can I do to get these videos to work?

Thanks for your help.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By eroticfishcake

With streaming it doesn't preload so you can watch it normally and freely jump to different parts so long that you've got a good connection. Since you've got a shitty internet connection I recommend that you use Progressive and let it load while you do something else.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Pessh

Progressive, low quality, pause, go do some shopping, read a book, hopefully will be fully loaded by the time you're done doing whatever.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

Speaking of which. I don't notice any difference with High or Low quality but use the latter if you want to make yourself feel better if you want to.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By stinky

if i try to watch a video and see that its hosted in china, i move on to something else. 
its horrible. doesn't matter what kind of computer you have. 

while what i am telling you doesn't help you technically, its sometimes a relief to know its not something you are doing wrong. 

invadernick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By invadernick

Which part of China? The rural areas will definitely have a horrible connection. You can't use Facebook or Google there from what I understand. Chinese internet sucks....

chirotera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By chirotera
@invadernick said:
" Which part of China? The rural areas will definitely have a horrible connection. You can't use Facebook or Google there from what I understand. Chinese internet sucks.... "
You can use google. It's based out of Hong Kong though.

You can also use Facebook if you know how to get around the censor. It's not that difficult.

Other than that the internet isn't too bad depending on where you are. In some places it's faster than it is in the states, in others, good luck finding a connection.
imad81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By imad81
@OperationTophat:  Download them..its easy and you can just queue up all the videos you want to watch..
scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By scarace360

Why did you move to china?

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ragdrazi

Why did you move to China?

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By beej
@imad81:  While I can appreciate that you CAN download the flash video files I kind of figured that you weren't supposed to.
themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By themangalist
@scarace360 said:
" Why did you move to china? "
@Ragdrazi said:
" Why did you move to China? "
@Pessh said:
" Progressive, low quality, pause, go do some shopping, read a book, hopefully will be fully loaded by the time you're done doing whatever. "
Why did you move to China?
T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By T0mF5
@scarace360 said:

@Ragdrazi said:

@themangalist said: 

" @scarace360 said:

@Ragdrazi said:
@Pessh said:
" Progressive, low quality, pause, go do some shopping, read a book, hopefully will be fully loaded by the time you're done doing whatever. "
Why did you move to China? "
Whys did you move to China?
Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themangalist said:
" @scarace360 said:
@Ragdrazi said:
@Pessh said:
Why did you move to China? "
This person obviously enjoy Video games. Aren't Video Games either censored or banned there a lot?  I could be wrong and thinking of other places more.
Kontrapunkt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Kontrapunkt

I thought this was a thread about state censorship but that's bad luck m8.

gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By gabha

Is it true that the Internet is completely filtered in there?

sparks50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sparks50

Why d @EveretteScott said:

This person obviously enjoy Video games. Aren't Video Games either censored or banned there a lot?  I could be wrong and thinking of other places more. "

No, your thinking of Australia :D

Fun is largely not banned in China, as long as you don't consider civil liberties to be fun :p
OperationTophat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OperationTophat

I moved to China to teach 3rd grade.  Yeah, yeah I know I could teach third grade at home in the states but I can't hang out in Hong Kong on my weekends if I'm living in California. 

As far as censorship, yeah, youtube, facebook and blogspot are all banned here but I have a VPN which lets me access them.  But the internet is so slow it's hardly worth it.  Thanks to everyone for their suggestions for accessing GB.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By KaosAngel
@OperationTophat: ...any good shady stories you got for us?
Tomkang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tomkang
@OperationTophat:  
I moved to China aswell. Either wait for it to load, or get a vpn. Some free VPN's are ProXPN and Skydur Lite. The first one allows access to all sites and the second allows access to Facebook only. 

But pretty much you'll have to wait for it to buffer. I wait like an hour, while playing xbox or doing work.
OperationTophat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By OperationTophat
@KaosAngel: Not yet.  Only been here a month.  

I have had a hell of a time finding real copies of 360 games.  I have my American xbox and a modded Japanese box.  I don't like pirating games but it's hard to resist buying them when they only cost $0.85 cents a pop...
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By KaosAngel
@OperationTophat: Bro, you live in a country where piracy isn't a word.  Do it, and legally you can't get in trouble. 

When in Rome, do as Romans do.
OperationTophat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By OperationTophat
@Tomkang: Which part of China are you in?  I'm in Guangzhou and so far I'm really liking it (aside from the internet).
Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Interfect
@KaosAngel said:
" @OperationTophat: Bro, you live in a country where piracy isn't a word.  Do it, and legally you can't get in trouble.  When in Rome, do as Romans do. "
Toga party?
Tomkang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tomkang
@OperationTophat: I'm in Beijing 

About Laws, Many are not enforced. One law is to wear a seatbelt, but you can tell it isn't upheld. 

Piracy is not illegal here. While I am not completely for it, here you can either get it free from chinese torrent sites etc. or you can pay for a fake one. So far Hong Kong is the only place that doesn't rip people off for real games. Beijing: £100 for Chains of Olympic on psp, justification 'Imported real item from the USA'. 

90% of fake things are dirt cheap compared to USA, GB.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shirogane
@Tomkang:
Wait what? The only place that doesn't rip you off for games is HK? That's er...kinda messed up. Aren't HK people known for being greedy asses who try to rip you off at every opportunity?
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By toowalrus

If I were in that situation again (like I was in the philipenes) I would pay the six bucks to become a member, then start downloading the previous day's videos every night before bed, and watch them the next day. You'd be a day behind everyone else, but at least it wouldn't be quite as frustrating.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By meptron

I had the same problm when I was living in China. Try progressive. For the record, the internet there doesn't suck, but you are accessing a server that is across the ocean. Chinese sites are fast.

Tomkang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Tomkang
@Shirogane: I should rephrase that. Chinese doesn't rip you off as badly if: 
1. You look Asian and/or Local (I'm not racist, but the salesman will say ¥100 in English, and only ¥30 if you speak to him in Cantonese/ mandarin. As they assume that the foreigners can't speak the language, and are 75% of the time surprised to see a white person speak fluent chinese, outside of HK)  
2. Speak the language, even a tiny bit such as 太贵了, too expensive
3. Drive a hard bargain, walking away will cut the price by 30% min. 
4. Point out the faults, they know it is shoddy 
ALso 
5. They have nothing to lose. They sell fake BOSS jeans at 600rmb first, if you bargain down to 50rmb they still make a profit, as it only cost them around 20rmb to make the jeans 

In HK you see more non-Asian looking people who can speak Cantonese/Mandarin than elsewhere in my experience.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By shirogane
@Tomkang:
Yeah ok, that makes more sense. Everyone i know who's been to China is asian and can speak chinese, so i guess they don't get ripped so badly.
skadbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By skadbob

Hm... I don't have any problem accessing Whiskey Media sites when I'm in Shanghai. Sometimes I even watch the Daily Show and Colbert Report streams online when I have the time. Unless my apartment there is using some sort of proxy that I don't know about, I haven't been doing anything special to circumvent the great firewall. So perhaps it is your internet? 

As for the games: the reason why real copies of games are expensive is because video game consoles and their games are, for the most part, officially banned in China. Whether or not that ban is effectively enforced is a completely separate issue. This means that there are no local distributors. This means real copies are actually much harder to obtain... which leads to higher "import" prices.

Games are legal in Hong Kong, and they are manufactured in Singapore and then officially distributed by either licensed third party distributors or the publishers themselves. So they are much, much cheaper. Xbox games are usually around $40-$50 new, PS3 usually around $60. Activision-published and Japanese import titles are the only two type of games I know of that don't follow this pricing scheme.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DirrtyNinja

When im in China I use Proxpn, but where I go the connection is utter balls so it takes forever to buffer. 

I havent moved to China on a permanent basis but it is becoming a highly likely prospect - no more xbox live :-(