Commodore 64 on the Virtual Console = Huh?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Edited By Hailinel

I recently downloaded the Commodore 64 game International Karate on the Virtual Console.  I never owned a Commodore 64, must less played any C64 games, so going in, I wasn't sure what to expect, aside from having the chance to play a game that isn't entirely dissimilar from Karate Champ.  As a game, it's fairly simple and straight forward, and I could say that it's about what I expected.

Well, once I actually managed to start playing the game, that is.  The first time I started International Karate and the demo/attract mode began playing, I waited for some indication that I could press a button to start the game.  And waited.  And waited a little more.  I started hitting buttons on the Wii Remote and still no response.  I had to open the Home menu and view the game's operations guide to figure out how to start the game.  It tells me that I have to press B to display a virtual keyboard, and then click one of the buttons on said keyboard in order to start the game.

It's a strange, but it works fine, I guess.  I had forgotten that the Commodore 64 even had a keyboard interface, and that had to be emulated somehow.  Still, I do wonder how VC emulation for C64 games will be handled for games that are much more dependent on the keyboard and can't feasibly have their gameplay translated to a controller.  If they make a graphic or text adventure game available on the VC, are players going to have to enter all of that text on the virtual keyboard?  I'm hoping that if such games become available that Nintendo will allow for input through an actual USB keyboard.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Hailinel

I recently downloaded the Commodore 64 game International Karate on the Virtual Console.  I never owned a Commodore 64, must less played any C64 games, so going in, I wasn't sure what to expect, aside from having the chance to play a game that isn't entirely dissimilar from Karate Champ.  As a game, it's fairly simple and straight forward, and I could say that it's about what I expected.

Well, once I actually managed to start playing the game, that is.  The first time I started International Karate and the demo/attract mode began playing, I waited for some indication that I could press a button to start the game.  And waited.  And waited a little more.  I started hitting buttons on the Wii Remote and still no response.  I had to open the Home menu and view the game's operations guide to figure out how to start the game.  It tells me that I have to press B to display a virtual keyboard, and then click one of the buttons on said keyboard in order to start the game.

It's a strange, but it works fine, I guess.  I had forgotten that the Commodore 64 even had a keyboard interface, and that had to be emulated somehow.  Still, I do wonder how VC emulation for C64 games will be handled for games that are much more dependent on the keyboard and can't feasibly have their gameplay translated to a controller.  If they make a graphic or text adventure game available on the VC, are players going to have to enter all of that text on the virtual keyboard?  I'm hoping that if such games become available that Nintendo will allow for input through an actual USB keyboard.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

So, they just won't have those games at all is my guess. Or add keyboard support, yeah.