Community GOTY - Vote Here!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff
And you thought Zelda couldn't win!
And you thought Zelda couldn't win!

VOTE HERE!

VOTE HERE!

VOTE HERE!

It's time to once again determine the Best Game of 2023 according to all of us by using some cold, hard math. See, we've been using "Eurovision-style" methods to determine our GOTY for over a decade. The staff is just copying us! Clearly!

If you haven't already clicked the VOTE HERE links and need some more details, here are some FAQs:

How long do I have to do this?

• Voting ends on Friday, January 5th one hour after Game Mess Mornings is over.

What games can I pick?

• Pick whatever games you want that were important to you this year.

But, what if it's not from 2023?

• Don't care. Pick it.

The date in the search is saying my game is from 2020 because it was in Early Access. Does that count?

• Yes. Pick it.

I'm trying to choose some obscure game that only I played and I can't find it. What now?

• It's possible that it doesn't have a page yet. You can create it here.

I want to pick Phantom Liberty, but I can't find it. What do I do?

I want to pick Resident Evil 4, but there's two of them in search?

• Make sure you pay attention to which one you select. One says 2023. One says 2005. This goes for any other remakes too.

I fucked up and/or changed my mind a few days after I voted. Can I change it?

• Yes. You can change any of your votes up until the deadline.

I didn't play 10 games this year OR didn't love 10 games enough.

• You don't have to fill all the slots. If you only like 5 games, just put those 5.

How do the points work?

• It's a standard weighted system. Your #1 game is worth 10 points, #2 is 9, etc.

My question isn't answered here.

• Check the comments below. If it's not answered already, ask us there.

VOTE HERE!

VOTE HERE!

VOTE HERE!

Suits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

No Caption Provided

Crazy how this unknown studio with one the dumbest game titles I can think of, made the gem that is Lies of P. After finishing it on game pass I went ahead and bought it just to support them, then played it again. Can't wait to see what they bring next!

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Would it be safe to assume that Hitman Freelancer will just be logged under Hitman 3?

ToySoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@suits: @suits:

Hell yeah. I personally enjoyed Dead Space more than Resident Evil 4. I loved RE4, but the sound design and the shooting just feels so good in Dead Space.

hammondoftexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

No Caption Provided

Here my current top 10, am still playing a few games, like Dredge, so I might update this before the deadline. Also, the only Metroid Prime i could find, was the original (2002 i believe)... so... hopefully that works out.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Marino  Staff

Would it be safe to assume that Hitman Freelancer will just be logged under Hitman 3?

Yeah. That's what I'd suggest.

iPhone_Tyler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

So many dang games this year; I really tried to prioritizing keeping up with the "top games" this year and yet I'm betting the site top 10 will contain 50% games I didn't get to. Wow, what a year.

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By permanentsigh

What should I pick for Metroid Prime Remastered? Metroid Prime?

No Caption Provided
Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Marino  Staff

Yes

What should I pick for Metroid Prime Remastered? Metroid Prime?

No Caption Provided

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By permanentsigh

Thanks Marino. Here's my list:

No Caption Provided
yungfloppa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

What a crazy year

ToySoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ToySoda

Hoping to get to Baldur's Gate 3 sppn. I wish I could play Switch but Nintendo sucks with accessibility options. Like incrediblity bad.

No Caption Provided
Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Ben_H

Only 3 of my picks came out in 2023. I'll do a formal write up soon (well I guess technically 4 since HITMAN World of Assassination was this year but it was 3 old games combined)

* note: solitaire is the Solitaire that came with the 6th generation iPod Classic.

No Caption Provided

** edit: I submitted a wiki page creation request for the new WRC game since it's not in the wiki yet.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Marino  Staff

@ben_h: I approved the page. It may take it a few hours to show up in search though.

CyrusRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CyrusRaven

1.Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

2.Lies of P

3.Alan Wake II

4.Resident Evil 4

5.Street Fighter 6

6.Cocoon

7.Humanity

8.Hi-Fi Rush

9.Dredge

10.Super Mario Bros. Wonder

My 10. Tough cuts this year. Shout out to Dead Space Remake, Hitman, and Blasphemous 2.

atrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummer that there isn't a separate option for Metroid Prime, but hopefully it works out.

No Caption Provided

theglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

What a season, what a season!

phillabusta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

If my PC could run Alan Wake II I'm sure he would be up there, unfortunately I couldn't experience it. So Dead Space takes my horror spot this year. Banger year. I'm sure I'm forgetting earlier games in the year, but I haven't felt this good about games since like, 2007 and 2013. Glad to have been able to play so many bangers this year.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wollywoo

There's no fun in just putting a screenshot - I have to add my opinionated commentary.

1. Baldur's Gate 3. I've said enough in the other thread. One of the best games I've played in a long time. Consistently fun with no filler to be had.

2. Octopath Traveler 2. I had a great time with this one. Great story, fun battles, and the soundtrack is killer.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. I enjoyed this a ton. But I don't feel as enamored of it as many do. It gets pretty repetitive at times, and the Depths are a bit of a slog with not much to distinguish one area from another. So while it's amazing, it's only #3 on my list.

4. Pikmin 4. Although lower than TotK, this game is kind of perfect. I have no complaints, really. The Dandori challenges are a highlight. Optimizing my runs down to the second to get those platinums is highly satisfying.

5. Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp. These games aged really well. I only played the first one on GBA, so AW2 was a real treat here. There's not a lot of new mechanics but the mission objectives are much more varied and interesting. It's a real shame, though, that Nintendo didn't provide a matchmaking service. Advance Wars By Web shows the potential of this IP in competitive play.

6. The New York Times Crossword Puzzle. It's very possible I spent more time on this than any other on this list.

7. Chants of Sennaar. I only got a few hours into this, but it's a very unique and satisfying puzzler about deciphering languages.

8. Stardew Valley. I played a lot of this in co-op. Very relaxing and fun.

9. Prey (2017). Tried this out on Game Pass. It's good! I admire the level of detail they've put into making it feel like a real place, not just a series of objectives. I don't know if I will put in the time to finish it.

10. Wargroove 2. Mildly disappointing to me, with very little changed from Wargroove 1 aside from a couple new units that didn't seem that useful. The new roguelite mode is neat but the runs seem too short to be satisfying. And there's way too much talking for this kind of game. But, still a good time.

Yiffmaster69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Yiffmaster69

This is super self indulgent because who cares what games I liked this year but let's celebrate some great games!

10) Destiny 2 - Destiny 2 is my old friend with benefits that always opens their arms to me when I'm feeling down and depressed. It offered tons of stuff to do and a drip feed of story from a world where I love spending time. It quickly becomes a job, though, and our relationship is not healthy when it lasts more than a few weeks. Still, shout out to Destiny 2 and the beleaguered Bungie team for keeping it going.

9) Dead Island 2 - In a year that we're amazed at the way that Alan Wake II came out so long after the original, Dead Island 2 doesn't get enough praise for how good it is despite its extremely troubled development. The combat is a little too tough for me to really enjoy without cheats and the tone has shifted a bit with this game, but it scratches that hyper-violence itch very well, and I think it is just one of the best looking games that came out this year. I thought the same about the original and never understood why people thought it looked ugly!

8) Diablo IV - The story in Diablo IV is great. Isn't that bizarre? A franchise known for mindlessly clicking and meticulous grinding to get the exact stats on the exact gear for your exact build, and it had characters and plot that were actually interesting and, sometimes, even moving. Combine that with the fact that this was my absolute best multiplayer experience of the year. My friends from high school, all of us now in our late 30s, get together online every Wednesday night to play this, and it is just like old time when we used to play D1 and D2 together. Parts of it suck. The patches keep changing the balance week to week. But for the amount of time I have dumped into it, it has been way more good than bad.

7) Baldur's Gate III - I was incredibly excited for this game, having grown up with BG1 and 2, and having dabbled in tabletop RPGs all through my teens and 20s. It gave me massive Dragon Age Origins vibes, which is something that I had been missing for a long time. I can see what all of the fuss is about. Still, I did not love the characters, and I found myself feeling overwhelmed by the sheer possibility space. I had to stop and talk to every squirrel. Could I use speak to dead and talk to animals to speak to dead animals? How did I spend so long in the underdark? What was I even doing when I wandered down here? I never got a sense of the actual plot, but as a DnD sandbox it is unmatched. Never finished it and probably won't. If anything, BG3 broke me of the illusion that I can still sit down and dedicate 300 hours to a game. I just am not at a point in my life to do that anymore, and of all games to release me from that notion, I'm glad it was this one.

6) Cult of the Lamb - It came out in 2022, but this little gem kicks ass. I love the art style and its such an out-there concept. And it did not overstay its welcome. Great fun.

5) Road 96: Mile 0 - I don't suspect that this will turn up on too many people's lists. Such complicated feelings on this one. I was so excited to return to the world of Road 96. I knew that the format and gameplay were going to be different. Rather than a road trip where you are playing as different anonymous teenagers witnessing the events of the brewing revolution, getting to know all of the different main players in the story, this prequel has you actually control Zoe, one of the main characters that you meet in the first game. This changes the complexion of the game quite a bit; I liked the way that the main characters of the original existed outside of my view for most of their lives. Sure, your hitchhiking teens in Road 96 could influence their choices and fates but you were never deciding for them. Taking control of Zoe and her friend... it was a level of intimacy with the characters that I did not actually want. Still, it was great to see several members of the cast again in the prequel. It fleshed out the world of Road 96, especially how things were before the revolution. They took some wild chances with the gameplay, having it play more like a music video than a video game at some points. I was glad that I played it, but I doubt that I will return to it as often as Road 96. Even if the studio leaves this world behind I will absolutely play whatever they make next. For better or worse, I feel like they're making games to my exact sensibilities. The original Road 96 is my all time number 1, so its a bit shocking that this is not higher on the list, but here we are.

4) Resident Evil 4 - Modern Capcom does not miss with these remakes. They took a great game and remade it, and that remake is also a great game. I'm so happy about where the Resident Evil franchise is these days. Then again, I'm easy to please, and I enjoyed the hell out of RE5 and RE6 as multiplayer experiences. Maybe Resident Evil is a place, and you can set all kinds of action/horror games there. The last couple of years have proved that.

3) Aliens: Dark Descent - Where did this come from!? A licensed game that actually captures the spirit of the original while also mimicking the gameplay of beloved games like XCOM Enemy Unknown? I loved my time with this weird little map-crawler. I used plenty of cheats to help my soldiers survive; I did not want to feel the pressure and guilt of risking their lives and losing colonial marines, so I made sure that they all made it through the whole ordeal. I sincerely enjoyed my time with this one.

2) Robocop: Rogue City - This was the absolute best surprise of the year. I loved this game. And its a licensed Robocop game in 2023! What is happening? This game walked the perfect tightrope of holding onto the cynical parody nature of the original film while also not shying away from how genuinely cool something as dumb as Robocop can be. They fully engaged in the whole "is he man or is he a machine?" theme of the films. They even allowed for some player choice; you get to decide if the titular character sees himself as Alex Murphy or as Robocop. Or maybe something in between.

This game had no right being as fun as it was. I looked forward to playing it every time. The hyper violence of the combat sections was perfect and in the spirit of the original film. I started off trying to be a good cop and would aim for the legs whenever possible, but before long I was happily splattering the walls with the brains of criminal scum. You just have to. It was incredibly gory and embraced the absurdity perfectly. At the same time, much of the game is spent doing nonviolent police work. You write tickets for parking in front of a hydrant. You address noise complaints. You get to decide who gets a warning and who gets a fine. You collect signatures for a Get Well card. This game was incredible. I had fun from beginning to end.

1) Alan Wake II - It was hard to keep this one at number 1, given the game-breaking sound issues that required me to upgrade to a solid disc drive to even play it. On top of that there were some awful bugs, the worst of which was a whole inventory expansion upgrade that was simply not obtainable due to a glitch. (Vinny ran into the same thing in his recent late game AW2 video). And despite all of that, this was the best video game that I played all year. I love the light and gun combat of the original and I think that they did a great job innovating on it.

The most important thing that Alan Wake II does, however, is tell an interesting story. I couldn't wait to update my wife on what was going on after every few chapters, excitedly explaining all of the different mysteries and leads that we were dealing with. I loved what this game had to say about the power of art. I love how not everything is spelled out and explained. I loved how they shamelessly tied in Control and turned Alex Casey into an actual character. I loved the way that Saga's story plays out and how they touch upon feelings of inadequacy and failure. This game made me feel things moreso than any other game this year. I love how imperfect Alan Wake is as a character.

And that musical. Come on.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

I barely played ten games this year, but the disparity is high. For example, I'd rate my number 1 as a 5/5, and my number 6 as a 2/5

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

No Caption Provided

The list might change before the deadline. There is still Super Mario Bros. Wonder and Marvel's Spider-Man 2 to play, for example. But as of now, this is my list.

Avioto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

#8 is The Wreck.

A great French narrative driven game with some of the best voice acting I've ever heard in a videogame, by Sharlit Deyzac.

I would add it to the database, but last time I tried that I apparently did everything wrong.

Suits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@toysoda: The change to shooting off limbs, where you have to peel off the monsters skin first, feels like it was always intended this way. And the story flows a lot better, I can actually understand where I’m going on the Ishimura and why. Instead of just following the objective tracker 😅

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Marino  Staff
chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I plaeyed a little bit of Dave the Diver after I made my blog post. Pretty good game.

Avioto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marino: You are a legend, thank you!!!!!

Nillock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1 Baldur's Gate 3

2 The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

3 Resident Evil 4

4 Diablo 4

5 Street Fighter 6

6 Persona 5 Tactica

7 Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

8 Hi-Fi Rush

9 Marvel's Midnight Suns

10 Monster Hunter Rise

Top 5 notes:

I've been gaming for a very long time, and Baldur's Gate 3 was not only may favorite of 2023, but the best game I've ever played. I don't think it's for everyone, but it felt like it was made for me. Tactics + story + rewards for playing creatively. It felt like a miracle that it works as well as it does.

Tears of the Kingdom would have been in BG3's spot if Breath of the Wild didn't exist. Tears is an amazing game but suffered a bit from the lack of surprise and wonder, both of which I experienced in Breath 7 years ago (7 years?!). Still, the systems it adds makes it technically a better game than BoTW, but it feels like an add on to me. A very good add on but still.

I never played the OG Resident Evil 4, so the remake was fresh and exciting. And also incredibly funny. Leon rules.

I have over 500 hours in Diablo 4, and I can't say it's a great game. It's good, and getting better as time goes on. But even now it still feels like a beta, and the additions and tweaks they do make me feel like a hamster in a cage, running through the maze so they can get data from me. But as a hang out with my buddies, it's fine.

Street Fighter 6 has the best version of Cammy. That's why it's at my number 5.

Cramz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cramz  Online
No Caption Provided

1. Chants of Sennaar: Like a puzzle piece, it fits me.

2. Diablo IV: im a diablo junkie, inject more pls.

3. Cocoon: I played this game. It was fun.

4. To the Core: It's my incremental GOTY.

Love ya'll. Keep rockin' hard!

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

No Caption Provided

Played a lot of games this year, but found myself feeling some of the more heavy hitters didn't do it for me. Burnt out on Tears of the Kingdom hard after 10 hours or so after putting in a 120+ hours on BoTW.

Resident Evil 4 Remake was a bit underwhelming for me too; felt a little bit too self serious whereas the original was cheesy B-movie brilliance. I don't think it really needed a remake either since the game has been released on just about every system/storefront since 2005. RE 2 & 3 made a bit more sense since they had the original tank controls from the PS1 era.

2023 was a great year for gaming, no doubt! Hope everyone had a great 2023 and the games keep coming in 2024!

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Marino  Staff

@brian_: I feel like The Show never gets any recognition even in Best Sports categories. Such a shame.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marino: I think baseball is just a hard sell to most people nowadays. I myself only touched their showcase mode about Negro League Baseball this year. My problem with sports sims is that I always have the copulation to play every game in a season, and baseball is too long for me to invest that kind of time into doing that.

doctoruncle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By Ben_H

Last minute addendum: removed ACC, added Against The Storm AKA Hubris Destruction Simulator 2023.

Me the first 20 hours or so of Against The Storm where I played on the starter difficulty: "This isn't so tough. I hope it gets harder"

Me after brutally failing a settlement the first time I turn up the difficulty at all because it turns out all those mechanics I was ignoring to cut corners and boost the economy faster actually matter once you get past the starter difficulty: "OH FUCK"

It's such a good game. It has an interesting tutorial where you can't actually finish the tutorial until you've sunk like 20-30 hours into the actual game learning the basics of the game's economy. The final tutorial bits are about two entire layers of much more complex mechanics that you can't use until you've done several of the game's roguelite loop.

No Caption Provided