Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zereta

USB Memory Support for the Xbox 360 coming April 6th

On April 6th, we will be releasing a system update over Xbox LIVE for your Xbox 360 that will allow USB flash drives to be used for storing profiles, game saves, demos and more. I’ve been testing this feature out for a few weeks, and I have to say it’s really great. Once you take the system update on April 6th, you’ll be able to connect your USB flash drives to your console and head over to the memory section to configure your new storage device. Once you do that, the system will conduct a one time performance and integrity check to confirm the drive is working properly. You will then be able to configure how much storage to use on the device, up to 16 GB. The remaining space on the flash drive will be accessible by your PC or Mac. USB Hard drives may work, but like flash memory, you’ll only be able to use up to 16GB of space. Since performance on flash based USB storage is usually better, I highly recommend using flash based instead of spinning media like a hard drive…it’s just going to give you a MUCH better experience.

We’ve also enhanced the memory management functions, so you’ll be able to have better control on what you want to copy or move between storage devices.

A couple of geeky points: 

* You can have 2 devices connected to the console at a time, enabling up to 32GB of simultaneous storage.
* The system won’t just configure the device once it is connected to the console. You’ll need to head to the memory area in system settings, select your USB Device, and choose from Configure Now (Format and Configure the Full Device), or Customize (you can choose how much memory you want configured for Xbox360 from the free space on the device.) 

While any flash drive can be used, we are partnering with SanDisk to release an Xbox 360 branded USB flash drive in May that comes pre-configured out of the box and ready to go. I’ll provide links to those drives once they’re available. Until then, starting April 6th (when we release the system update) you can pop any flash drive over 1GB into your Xbox 360 and configure it as storage.

I’ve posted a bunch of screen shots that show you what the experience is like with a USB flash drive, as well as a look at the new memory management screens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/majorne...7623576662307/

From here, yo. 

I for one, am really, really excited for this. I have the stock, small-ass HDD from the launch 360s and its been working for a while now but I want to install my games and play them, something I don't get the chance to do.  

The 16gb MAX limit is a bummer (Though you can use 2 USB devices at once for a total of 32gb storage) but it makes sense since this is not supposed to be a replacement for the HDD. 

Psyched for some odd reason. Its a nice, subtle touch.
Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Zereta

USB Memory Support for the Xbox 360 coming April 6th

On April 6th, we will be releasing a system update over Xbox LIVE for your Xbox 360 that will allow USB flash drives to be used for storing profiles, game saves, demos and more. I’ve been testing this feature out for a few weeks, and I have to say it’s really great. Once you take the system update on April 6th, you’ll be able to connect your USB flash drives to your console and head over to the memory section to configure your new storage device. Once you do that, the system will conduct a one time performance and integrity check to confirm the drive is working properly. You will then be able to configure how much storage to use on the device, up to 16 GB. The remaining space on the flash drive will be accessible by your PC or Mac. USB Hard drives may work, but like flash memory, you’ll only be able to use up to 16GB of space. Since performance on flash based USB storage is usually better, I highly recommend using flash based instead of spinning media like a hard drive…it’s just going to give you a MUCH better experience.

We’ve also enhanced the memory management functions, so you’ll be able to have better control on what you want to copy or move between storage devices.

A couple of geeky points: 

* You can have 2 devices connected to the console at a time, enabling up to 32GB of simultaneous storage.
* The system won’t just configure the device once it is connected to the console. You’ll need to head to the memory area in system settings, select your USB Device, and choose from Configure Now (Format and Configure the Full Device), or Customize (you can choose how much memory you want configured for Xbox360 from the free space on the device.) 

While any flash drive can be used, we are partnering with SanDisk to release an Xbox 360 branded USB flash drive in May that comes pre-configured out of the box and ready to go. I’ll provide links to those drives once they’re available. Until then, starting April 6th (when we release the system update) you can pop any flash drive over 1GB into your Xbox 360 and configure it as storage.

I’ve posted a bunch of screen shots that show you what the experience is like with a USB flash drive, as well as a look at the new memory management screens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/majorne...7623576662307/

From here, yo. 

I for one, am really, really excited for this. I have the stock, small-ass HDD from the launch 360s and its been working for a while now but I want to install my games and play them, something I don't get the chance to do.  

The 16gb MAX limit is a bummer (Though you can use 2 USB devices at once for a total of 32gb storage) but it makes sense since this is not supposed to be a replacement for the HDD. 

Psyched for some odd reason. Its a nice, subtle touch.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ProfessorEss

April 6th eh?
Nice, that's a lot sooner than I expected.

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By ztiworoh

This part worries me:

used for storing profiles, game saves, demos and more

Notice, no mention of XBLA games, games on demand, etc.... As someone with a 20 gb drive, who doesn't want to spend the money for an overpriced 120gb HD, I'm really hoping I can store full games

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By DevWil

oh WORD

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zereta
@ztiworoh said:
"

This part worries me:

Notice, no mention of XBLA games, games on demand, etc.... As someone with a 20 gb drive, who doesn't want to spend the money for an overpriced 120gb HD, I'm really hoping I can store full games

"
Shit, didn't catch that part. 

Well, there are work arounds though. I would then use the console itself for XBLA and Game installs and my USB device for Demos, etc. 

It does say 'more' though so it might imply other stuff. 

Good catch.  About to tweet to Major Nelson that. 

@ProfessorEss said:
" April 6th eh? Nice, that's a lot sooner than I expected. "
Same here. I was expecting a small E3 announcement.
Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By weegieanawrench

Thank FUCK for that, I'm running dry with the last 2-3 GB on my 20GB harddrive. YAY Microsoft!

chrisojemmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By chrisojemmo

@ztiworoh said:

"

This part worries me:

"

They're probably not letting games on demand or XBLA storage on it because the performance through a USB connection would be awful! 

So they're not going to offer a bad service at the chance of getting flamed for it by everyone.   

Also they would create competitors by allowing other products to run games on the xbox instead of forcing people to buy their hard drives.  And not to mention the huge risk of people pirating software using an external drive

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By haggis

Thank God, finally. This will be fantastic.

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ztiworoh
@chrisojemmo: I see it less as a performance issue and more as one of they don't want you to be able to download a game to a USB stick, then take it to a friend's house, sign in on your profile and play it on their 360
chrisojemmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By chrisojemmo
@ztiworoh: I agree with the pirating issue but i still think the performance would have been a huge deciding factor
Rirobuge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Rirobuge

Here comes the downloading of save files from the internet for achievements

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Meowayne

Yeah, unless this lets me use my USB HDD for game installs and XBLA I'm not really interested.

I am using 20GB and refuse to pay Microsoft for harddrives that cost four to five times more than they're worth (and two to three times as much as comparable, non-Xbox HDDs), so I am limited to 1-2 XBLA titles, 1-2 Demos, 2-3 videos and 1 game install at a time.

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By lebkin
@Rirobuge said:
" Here comes the downloading of save files from the internet for achievements "
Aren't save files tied to your profile?  Wouldn't that not do any good?

@ztiworoh said:

I would assume that XBLA games will work, since they work on current memory units.  I doubt they'll go backwards on that compatibility.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Meowayne
@Rirobuge said:
Oh, you're right. That could be an issue. : /
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By ProfessorEss
@Meowayne said:

" @Rirobuge said:

Oh, you're right. That could be an issue. : / " <--- sarcasm I'm assuming
One, it already is an issue and two, it effects my gaming in no way.

So I don't care, I'll take that in exchange for a cheap extra 32 megs any day.
Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Arjuna

I suspect the main reason for this is to minimize the amount of red-ringing going on, since more people will be able to find it easy to run their game off of their memory storage.