Console Games, Pricing

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Beaudacious

Why have console software prices become so stringent? Is there a specific mandate or is it an accepted unwavering norm of the current industry? I just think some games would really benefit selling retail for 40$ instead of 60$. It seems some games aren't opposed to charging 70$, so as long as the change is upward in price it’s all good? It seems weird to me in an industry that's growing, were the audience is no longer simply hardcore gamers. You aren't really going to entice a new gamer if every game is 60$ retail. They'll also probably play it as much time as it takes to watch a movie at first, so why not just buy/netflix a movie?

It’s also the reason why i think used games are such a big market now. If you're new to gaming are you more willing to chance 10$, 20$, 30$, 40$ or 60$? Developers now say console used sales are worse than piracy, and i think there's a great point there. The best anti-piracy measure on the pc right now is Netflix and Steam by providing legitimate, convenient, easy options. The thing is consumers are willing to pay as long as you aren't trying to shaft them in broad daylight.

Another point is how some developers blatantly try to shaft their customers by selling unfinished, borked games for full price retail to recoup losses. This practice basically passes on their failure to unknowing "chumps", the customers. Honestly for what bioware did with DA2, I’m only going to buy ME3 used or on steam for a 5$ sale. I'd rather give money to GameStop then bioware at this point, because it was a blatant money grab. But that’s another rant all together.

So in tern i think middleware has a place in the market, but not a full retail price. Sell your first game at middleware cost, then when enough people like the basic concept you make some money. You invest that money into the sequel making an AAA or close game, and sell it for full retail. I think the Witcher is a good example of middleware to full AAA title in the sequel.

So what do you guys think?

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Yanngc33

I think that games have reached the 60$ mark because they have become more expensive to make. Game's require a lot more assets and resources now and they take time to make. When you spend 3 to 5 years making one game, you want that game to make its money back and then some. That's why game's have become more expensive and will continue to be priced at 60 to 80$ as technology moves forward.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By EuanDewar
@Yanngc33 said:
I think that games have reached the 60$ mark because they have become more expensive to make. Game's require a lot more assets and resources now and they take time to make. When you spend 3 to 5 years making one game, you want that game to make its money back and then some. That's why game's have become more expensive and will continue to be priced at 60 to 80$ as technology moves forward.
Yeah, cant really think of anything to add to this.
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@Yanngc33: That was their bullshit reasoning, yes, but they could've kept next gen (well, now-gen) titles at $50 and they would've probably wound up selling more units. In the PS2/Xbox days I would have no problem dropping full price dough for three new releases. Nowadays if I were to do that, it'd run me damn near $200. That extra fifty bucks can do me for a weeks worth of cigarettes and morning coffee before work.

The $60 price tag was a money grab, and it becomes blatantly obvious when they all waited for the first studios to make the first move on price point. Once they found out they could sell games for $60, they priced them all accordingly.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By nintendoeats

Also, keep in mind that whole inflation thing.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ajamafalous
@Beaudacious said:
Developers now say console used sales are worse than piracy, and i think there's a great point there. The best anti-piracy measure on the pc right now is Netflix and Steam by providing legitimate, convenient, easy options. The thing is consumers are willing to pay as long as you aren't trying to shaft them in broad daylight.
This is basically what it boils down to, and unfortunately most publishers don't seem to understand that.
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Yanngc33
@KingWilly: Games do drop price pretty quickly now, thanks to online retailers like Amazon who it down to 40. But it's true that not all games drop price. Modern Warfare 2 is still the same price from launch as is the original Modern Warfare (it depends where you shop). But when you see Team Bondi, who worked on L.A. Noire for 7 years developing new tech from scratch, you kind of understand that the game is priced at 60.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By animateria

The $60 price tag always forces me to buy it during a sale or wait till it drops to 29.99.

If it was standard PS2 era, 39.99/49.99 I'd probably buy it at those prices without second thought.

I'm thinking the publishers are banking on early adopters for the initial sales, and expect the games to drop in price pretty damn soon.
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By melcene

I think that as consumers of the gaming industry, we've been incredibly lucky that we've hardly seen changes in our game prices over the last 20 years or so.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By time allen
@Yanngc33 said:

or so the publishers would like you to think. films cost a shit ton to make, but i can get a dvd for £8.
blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By blueduck
@melcene said:

I think that as consumers of the gaming industry, we've been incredibly lucky that we've hardly seen changes in our game prices over the last 20 years or so.

I don't think so considering they target kids and young adults who typically don't have tons of money to spare. If they were to go crazy with the price raising people would simply buy less games.
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By imsh_pl

Games are being advertised more and more.

You also can't forget that the publishers want to make a profit as well.

From one of Michael Pachter's "Pach-Attack" episodes:

$60 you pay for a game can be divided as follows:
-$12 - the money earned by a video game/electronics store (Gamestop, Bestbuy)
-$12 - the money that goes to one of the Big Three: Microsoft/Nintendo Sony
-$9 - the money spent on advertising
-$10 - the money that goes to the developer
-$17 - profit to the publisher

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By carlthenimrod

Unfortunately, there is a stigma attached to retail games that are below $60. People have a misconception that the lower price is an indication of a lower quality product.

PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By PieGuy

Yup, if they know the consumer will pay it then they will charge it.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

There isn't really much benefit to selling a game at less than full price on launch. If it doesn't sell well, they can reduce the price a few weeks later. That means they get a few people buying at $60 dollars, and then more buying at $40. Plus, the psychological impact of "hey, this game was $60 but is now $40" is far better than the psychological impact of "hey, this game is $40". Getting $20 off the original price seems far more appealing than the game just launching $20 less than the standard price of console games. Especially with the stigma that is attached to "budget" titles.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Beaudacious
@imsh_pl: Patch doesn't know what hes talking about, most of his views are guesstimates, he always follows what he says by stating " maybe am completely wrong" .
@melcene
: Games use to be even more expensive, and price depended on the cartridges so i don't know where this long term stability idea comes from.
@Yanngc33:  Bloated publishers, studios that are really inefficient isn't an excuse, as well allot of studios outsource to foreign low labor cost countries.
JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By JoeyRavn
@EuanDewar said:

@Yanngc33 said:

Yeah, cant really think of anything to add to this.
Well, the fact that people buy games at those prices is a factor to take into account.  Development costs and publicity and all that surely factors in in the final price of the game, but basically, they charge you $/€60 because they can. The moment the customer base stops supporting that price tag, the industry will have to reduce the price they charge for their games. It's much better to make a profit selling a $40 game than none of a $60 one.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By crusader8463

Console games have a base price of around $70 here in Canada, and when you add in tax the games are close to around $100 a pop. I don't recall the last time I bought a new console game, because they just cost way too much. I wait for them to drop to around the $20 bargain bin price before I pick them up.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Beaudacious
@MattyFTM:  I agree, but you're also describing a status quo stating the psychological factors are engraved in stone. Someone has to take a leap of faith to change that mentality, but the key point being "leap of faith" which no company does. Although indie games/arcade games are also changing that mentality, not directly in association to full retail titles but showing value in a smaller price scale.
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

They're priced all at around $60 now because we're still buying them for $60. If the sales of video games slowed considerably, they would lower the standard price, I'm sure.  Although I do love game developers who price their games accordingly, like Deadly Premonition, or Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. Even on the original Xbox, one of my favorite games for that system was Phantom Dust, and I think that was priced at 20 bucks when it first came out.

Even so, gaming is a luxury, and as much as I hate the fact that games are generally all at a set 60 dollar price point, we should be pretty lucky that the prices don't vary wildly like they used to in the past. Plus, with the internet comes deals on just about everything, so even if a game is set at a 60 dollar price point, you can pretty much always find it new between 50-55 dollars somewhere. That's the advantage we have today that we were not so lucky to have when the NES was out.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By haggis

I've noticed that a lot of games come out priced at $60, but wind up on shelves at a discount. For instance, I picked up Portal 2 a week after it came out for $40. Considering the length of that game, I thought that was a much more suitable price point. I think it should be allowed that some games come in at a lower price point. Gamers expect a lot out of their $60, and there have been a number of games that just haven't seemed worth the full price.

It's not just a matter of charging $60 because they can. Most AAA titles are hugely expensive, and they need to charge that much to recoup costs. But they also need to recoup money lost on other non-AAA games. A lot of games simply don't make huge returns. That's why we're seeing a lot of sequels these days, even for games whose sales might not completely justify it. Game development is far more expensive for HD consoles, and the costs of development are only going to go up. That's one reason why I'm unsure if I'm ready for a new generation of consoles right now. I don't want to pay $80 for a game, and I imagine that's what they're going to have to charge to cover the added costs from more complicated graphics and the building of new development platforms.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Yanngc33
@Toms115
@Yanngc33 said:

or so the publishers would like you to think. films cost a shit ton to make, but i can get a dvd for £8.
Films have a much broader audience
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Meowshi

Games are more expensive because they want our money.  It has nothing to do with the cost of making them.  They know that we will pay that price, and I wouldn't be surprised if $70 and subscription fees are the popular choice for next gen.  

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By phish09
@crusader8463 said:
Console games have a base price of around $70 here in Canada, and when you add in tax the games are close to around $100 a pop. I don't recall the last time I bought a new console game, because they just cost way too much. I wait for them to drop to around the $20 bargain bin price before I pick them up.
That's not really true at all.  The base price for games here is $59.99, but there is the odd game that launches at $69.99.  Though you're basically a sucker if you pay $70 for any game in this day and age.  I paid $39.99 for Portal (base price $59.99) less than two weeks after it was released for the 360.  I just traded in Dragon Age 2 and paid a net total of $15 out of pocked for LA Noire (base price $59.99).  I know there is the odd game that launches at $69.99 (maybe 1 out of every 10 new games), but they only do that to get the odd purchase from someone who doesn't know how you can just buy three $10 games and trade them in for that $70 game at Best Buy, Futureshop, or EB Games. 

I do think that more console games should launch at a lower price point and they would probably sell better...I'm looking at you Brink...but those games (non-AAA titles) tend to drop in value VERY fast, so if you can hold off three or four weeks after a game launches usually you can get it for around the $40 mark or thereabouts.  If you're willing to wait a few months you can usually get them for way less than that.  I can't remember the last game that I actually paid $60 for out of pocket for, and I've certainly never paid $70 for a game, unless it's a collectors edition.  
OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By OldGuy

I'm going to get ignored here (since I'm trying to bring facts up <and those are so inconvenient when righteous anger is involved>, but, whatever)... Prices now are (in real money terms) lower than they used to be... I was going to dig up a bunch of examples and all that, but Ars Technica saved me the touble... Link.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By crusader8463
@phish09 said:
@crusader8463 said:
That's not really true at all.  The base price for games here is $59.99, but there is the odd game that launches at $69.99.  Though you're basically a sucker if you pay $70 for any game in this day and age.  I paid $39.99 for Portal (base price $59.99) less than two weeks after it was released for the 360.  I just traded in Dragon Age 2 and paid a net total of $15 out of pocked for LA Noire (base price $59.99).  I know there is the odd game that launches at $69.99 (maybe 1 out of every 10 new games), but they only do that to get the odd purchase from someone who doesn't know how you can just buy three $10 games and trade them in for that $70 game at Best Buy, Futureshop, or EB Games.  I do think that more console games should launch at a lower price point and they would probably sell better...I'm looking at you Brink...but those games (non-AAA titles) tend to drop in value VERY fast, so if you can hold off three or four weeks after a game launches usually you can get it for around the $40 mark or thereabouts.  If you're willing to wait a few months you can usually get them for way less than that.  I can't remember the last game that I actually paid $60 for out of pocket for, and I've certainly never paid $70 for a game, unless it's a collectors edition.  
Actually it is true. At least for me. Every time I have gone to a local store to buy a console game they have all been marked at $70, and with New Brunswick's sales tax at 14%, last time I checked, that means I'm paying $79.80 just for the game. Then when you add in the gas it costs to drive to the nearest city, an hour drive each way, it adds another $10-$15 dollars and half my day wasted. Double that if I want to pre-order it and have to make the trip twice to pre-order then to pick up. As for the trading in games bit, I stopped trading my old games to fund new ones, because a few years later I always get the urge to replay the game and end up spending more money to buy it again.

As for buying them online, well if I buy it that way I think I save about $20 but at the cost of not getting the game until 3-4 weeks after it launches because the shipping is so dam slow. 
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By time allen
@Yanngc33 said:
@Toms115
@Yanngc33 said:

the gaming industry is one of the biggest right now. 
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Yanngc33
@Toms115
@Yanngc33 said:
@Toms115
@Yanngc33 said:

Yeah but it's not as mass market
Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By James_ex_machina

I've only bought about 5 xbox360 games at full price this generation. I waited for Borderlands to drop in price to $30. After playing it I was kicking myself for not buying it day one. because I got my money and much more out of it. Personally I wait for price drops and follow CAG closely for clearances. 2 years ago target clearanced the limited edition of MW2 for 17.38 and that was 2 months after release while they charged full price for the standard edition. I see this type of thing at target all the time.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By time allen
@Yanngc33 said:

@Toms115

@Yanngc33 said:
@Toms115
@Yanngc33 said:

modern warfare 2 sold a bajillion copies first day, and minecraft made like 33 million. two examples from opposite sides of the industry. games are a pretty big deal, and yes, they are vastly overpriced.
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Yanngc33
@Toms115 said:
@Yanngc33 said:

@Toms115

@Yanngc33 said:
@Toms115
@Yanngc33 said:

modern warfare 2 sold a bajillion copies first day, and minecraft made like 33 million. two examples from opposite sides of the industry. games are a pretty big deal, and yes, they are vastly overpriced.
Call of Duty has become mass market, which is not the case for all games
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iam3green

yes, prices are kind of crazy. $60 for a new game is kind of bad. some of the games like you said are half assed games. there are just problems with the game that barely get fixed. there are just a bunch of updates after updates once the game is finally launched and things.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By time allen
@Yanngc33 said:
@Toms115 said:
@Yanngc33 said:

@Toms115

@Yanngc33 said:
@Toms115
@Yanngc33 said:

ok, crazy. you believe what you want to believe.
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Yanngc33
@Toms115 said:
@Yanngc33 said:
@Toms115 said:
@Yanngc33 said:

@Toms115

@Yanngc33 said:
@Toms115
@Yanngc33 said:

ok, crazy. you believe what you want to believe.
haha you're not completely wrong, games are more mass market than before and a price change would be nice but that'll never happen
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By time allen
@Yanngc33: yeah, it's just wishful thinking. £40 for a game is absurd, but as long as people keep shelling out, they'll keep on charging.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By ProfessorEss
@Yanngc33 said:

I think that games have reached the 60$ mark because they have become more expensive to make. 

That's the problem I have with the whole thing. Publishers charging us a flat fee based on their expenses, as opposed to the quality of the product just doesn't make sense to me.

The industry is pretty messed up as a whole.
Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Tsoglani

Ok, so if a new release is $60 in the USA, why do I, as an Australian, need to fork out $110 for a game?

Don't tell me the shipping costs add to it, because it doesn't cost $50 to ship per game, especially considering that it would be bulk-shipped ; the Aus dollar is stronger than the U.S at the moment, but we still have to pay extortion-like prices from retail. Yeah, I know I can buy it from e-bay and all that jazz, but I want to know why it is just and fair for us Aussies to pay so much. Other retail stores like JB Hi Fi are more reasonable, and price new releases between $78 - $90, but I have recently noticed that after a few weeks they put the price back up to $100!

Fuck this shit... I'm so over it.

As I've said before, gaming is becoming a rich man's leisure.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By laserbolts
I remember paying more than 60 bucks for quite a few games when I was younger so I really don't understand it.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#39  Edited By Vinny_Says
@crusader8463 said:
In what province do you live where tax on a 69.99 game brings the price close to $100?

As for the question, the reason games are $60 is because ALL the games are that price. If one company started selling them at 50 or 40 and was making a profit other companies would be forced to the same and you would see more variety in the pricing. This only applies to N.A. pricing though, I hear it's different in Europe and Australia.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By crusader8463
@blacklabeldomm: Read the post I made right after that.
Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41  Edited By Sayishere

Theres a market for games, and we keep on buying them. Alot of games i notice in the UK sell for like £39.99 in retail stores like Game, but alot of online retailers do offers that sell for £30, then maybe 2 weeks later the retailers lower also to £30. If you are prepared to wait a month tops, you will be able to get the game for £30 or less. Many non casual games will do this, but the hardcore games like myself need the game on release. I personally feel they should reduce retail games by at least $10...instead of waiting a week or two to reduce prices due to lower sales, just do it straight out the gate.