Discussing sex and gender in the industry: Why so toxic?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@dylangw said:

@hailinel: I think the term social justice warrior is actually quite useful. I don't use it as a pejorative but as a short-hand for a type of person and way of thinking. We need some type of words to describe schools of thought and SJW is as good as any; although I'd happily adopt an alternative if it became popular.

Useful in what way, if not as a pejorative? Because that's mostly the manner in which it's used. If what you want to do is call out bad journalism, then call it out for what it is, and explain how. Calling your target a SJW won't faze anyone, and it's not likely to help your point be taken seriously.

DylanGW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#452  Edited By DylanGW

@hailinel: I don't necessarily consider SJW's bad journalists; just a group of people who ascribe to a general way of thinking about the world - and I happen to disagree with them on certain things. I think you're probably right that some people dismiss others when they use the term; but we need to call them something don't we? Imagine every-time you wanted to say something about conservatives or liberals you had to explain conservatism and liberalism. It would make conversations considerably longer and repetitive; we need short-hand words that represent groups of people and their ideas or else discussion becomes impossible. I have respect and even admiration for many people who have been labelled 'SJW'; I just disagree with them and use the term because it makes life easier.

The term SJW is useful in the same way words like 'conservative', 'liberal', 'feminist', 'evangelical', or 'secularist' are useful. They represent groups of people and their ideas; and without them conversation would be much more challenging. I think I agree that the term might make the person saying it look like a dick but I don't know of any alternative where everyone is on the same page.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dylangw said:

@hailinel: I don't necessarily consider SJW's bad journalists; just a group of people who ascribe to a general way of thinking about the world - and I happen to disagree with them on certain things. I think you're probably right that some people dismiss others when they use the term; but we need to call them something don't we? Imagine every-time you wanted to say something about conservatives or liberals you had to explain conservatism and liberalism. It would make conversations considerably longer and repetitive; we need short-hand words that represent groups of people and their ideas or else discussion becomes impossible. I have respect and even admiration for many people who have been labelled 'SJW'; I just disagree with them and use the term because it makes life easier.

The term SJW is useful in the same way words like 'conservative', 'liberal', 'feminist', 'evangelical', or 'secularist' are useful. They represent groups of people and their ideas; and without them conversation would be much more challenging. I think I agree that the term might make the person saying it look like a dick but I don't know of any alternative where everyone is on the same page.

Again, it's a phrase that came about with a negative intent. It makes you look silly when you use it to refer to people with a straight face.

Avatar image for generic_username
generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

@musai: I don't know what equations I can add.

If you're part of Group A, stop and grow the fuck up already.

If you're part of Group B, do not rise to Group A's bullshit.

If you're part of Group C, stop judging yourself by the quality of your intentions, and critically think about the effects of your actions.

If you're part of Group D, don't whitewash Group A's bullshit and don't automatically assume Group C can't make a valid point.

If you're part of Group E, there's somewhere on the internet where video game fans haven't been bullied with either misogyny or accusations of misogyny. I don't know where but it must be out there.

And if you're part of Group F, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one, hit me!

Agree with this 100%.

DylanGW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

@hailinel: I take your point I just don't know what other phrase to use that everyone understands. I think we're on the same page on this.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dylangw said:

@hailinel: I take your point I just don't know what other phrase to use that everyone understands. I think we're on the same page on this.

I understand, but sometimes shorthand is just not the way to go.