Do the guys need companies permission to do quick looks?

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Rhaknar

Something that just dawned on me and I never really gave much thought to, do you reckon they can do quicklooks of any game they want, or companies can in fact "veto" the quicklooks if they choose to? It's a bit weird that 2 of the biggest games recently, Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2 didnt have quick looks, and if the first I guess its a bit hard to do a quick look of, the second is quite easy, especially with multiplayer (which I'm sure many people would like to see being played to make a decision). 

Another one that springs to mind is Heavy Rain, which they have had a preview copy for a while now (back when Ryan did his preview) and there is a demo out (well, it's "out" if you do the game site mini game thing, but I'm sure they would get around to it). So, do you reckon these games just slipped through the quicklook cracks so to say, or they just couldn't do it (maybe because they cant show too much footage or something, like back with Killzone 2). Thoughts?

PS: Not a OMG CONSPIRACY topic, just something I'm wondering

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ineedaname

They do it on anyone they want unless there's an embargo out on the game then they can't do it until a certain date.
I'm pretty sure companies can ask them to take videos down at a later though.

If they needed permission we'd probably have never seen Ride.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well ME2, Bioshock and Heavy Rain are all games that people mainly play for their story. Any QL of those games (especially the significantly shorter Heavy Rain) would have to be filled with spoilers I think.
Regardless of their reasons I'm kind of glad they didn't do QL's for them.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By turbomonkey138

They get sent the games to do quick looks don't they ?

Avatar image for hooligantuesday
HooliganTuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By HooliganTuesday

They can do whatever the fuck they want, while the Quick Looks aren't 'reviews' in the strictest sense of the word, the usage of the game/ game footage in the falls under the same branch of copyright law and basically they're allowed to make use of the footage for the purposes of criticism or review.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Ineedaname
@turbomonkey138 said:
" They get sent the games to do quick looks don't they ? "
Not necessarily, other sites get sent games and don't do quick looks, I think it's mainly for review purposes.
Alot of games that got a quick look they went out and bought.
WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By WickedCobra03
@S0ndor said:
" Well ME2, Bioshock and Heavy Rain are all games that people mainly play for their story. Any QL of those games (especially the significantly shorter Heavy Rain) would have to be filled with spoilers I think. Regardless of their reasons I'm kind of glad they didn't do QL's for them. "
Yeah, they did one for Fahrenheit, but it was really only the introduction to the game, and it is like 4 or 5 years old now.
Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#8  Edited By Valkyr

As longs as they don't post a Quicklook before the embargo ends there is no problem, the embargo is to manage the hype so that reviews start appearing near the release date, if you get like universal acclaim in metacritic and there is still one month between that and the release, the hype could die in the middle

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By JokerSmilez

Now that you mention it, I would love to see a Quick Look for the Bioshock 2 multiplayer. It (probably) wouldn't have any spoilers and they've been talking about on the bombcast how surprisingly good it is. I'd like to get a look it, personally...
Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Daryl

I think the Quick Looks tend to focus on games of more interest. I guess they assume people know what ME2 and BioShock 2 are going to look like.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By august

Yeah I think the qls fall under the umbrella of Journalism, so they can pretty much do whatever they want legally. Review "embargoes" aren't legally binding, it's just that if you break the embargo date that game company will probably cut you off from getting early review copies.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Ghostiet

I think it's more about those games being plot-heavy. Brad avoided any spoilers in the ME2 review, respecting the fact that people were literally barricading themselves from plot reveals.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The Quick Looks will probably come under fair use copyright laws. They're showing 20 minutes or so of the game, so I can't imagine it being copyright infringement. Although if a company told them to stop, it wouldn't be worth their while contesting it legally, so they'd probably have to take it down.

However something like the Endurance Run could probably be legally contested, if Atlas decided to. They recorded THE WHOLE DAMN GAME and put it on the internet, there has got to something against that in copyright law somewhere.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Phished0ne

I agree with the Plot-Heavy remarks.  Games like Heavy Rain shouldnt be QL'd in my opinion. They could probably do a ME2 one if they wanted, just to show off the combat, like they did with the Dragon Age Quicklooks.

But everyone needs to remember the awesomeness of the Killzone 2 QL,  they couldnt show certain things in the game, so they had to cut it out and re-edit it with stick figures..remember that?...good times...

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#15  Edited By King9999
@MattyFTM said:
" The Quick Looks will probably come under fair use copyright laws. They're showing 20 minutes or so of the game, so I can't imagine it being copyright infringement. Although if a company told them to stop, it wouldn't be worth their while contesting it legally, so they'd probably have to take it down.  However something like the Endurance Run could probably be legally contested, if Atlas decided to. They recorded THE WHOLE DAMN GAME and put it on the interne, there has got to something against that in copyright law somewhere. "
I didn't even think of that, to be honest.  People made mention about the Endurance Run on Atlus' site, but obviously there was no legal action taken.  Maybe they saw the ER as free advertising.  I watched the ER in its entirety because I finished the game already, but maybe other people decided to watch a few episodes then go out and buy the game.