Do you ever pretend to be a girl on MMO's or any other game?

Avatar image for mystiqualdreams
mystiqualdreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mystiqualdreams

Other than the obvious fact that people help you out more and will actually talk to you like a human being it's kind of fun being able to role play the other gender. I know it sounds weird, but lots of people do it and it's actually kind of fun! :)

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Back when I had AOL and dial-up I used to chat as a girl and talk about periods and stuff.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By abdo

I don't play MMOs, but I've never done it. Never had a reason to.

Pyrgz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pyrgz

meta-roleplaying

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By buft

No but one time i faked my own death to get out of a raiding guild

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By willin

That's just weird.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Simplexity

I had a female troll hunter called "swegirlxd" for the sole purpose of tricking idiots, sad part is it actually worked. Got hella free stuff was awesome.

Pyrgz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pyrgz

I get double boners seeing dudes pretend to be ladies in MMOs so I give them hell of free stuff just to make them act all girly at me even though I know what's going on

Avatar image for mancombseepgood
MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MancombSeepgood

No, I actually feel sorry for girls who play as girls. The attention they get is just depressing and I can't imagine many of them enjoy it either.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Slaker117

Once during the Halo 3 beta, before my voice had dropped, I was put into a team with two guys who assumed I was a girl. One was trying to hit on me while acting all detached and cool, and the other was doing his best not to seem intimated by the fact that I was outscoring them by a significant margin. It was pretty funny so I played along, though there was no follow up after the game ended.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Pinworm45

When I played EVE online I used to run a trial account while I played on my main account, where I pretended to be a chick in Jima (populated capital station, basically) and got tons and tons of handouts because of it

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No that's really weird.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Teoball

I usually pick female characters in all games who makes me choose.
I never feel like the character is me anyway so why not go all the way? I never pretend to be a girl even if i'm playjng a female character though.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SamStrife

I don't pretend to be a girl but I always have Girl Avatars.  I believe it was orginal Dave at Giantbomb that said "If you've got to look at a character for hundreds of hours, may as well make it a good looking one" and that's the way I've always seen it also.

I do get a load of people asking me if I really am a girl or act differantly because they think I am.  I also had a guy on the PSN ask me if I was a girl because of my Call Of Duty Emblem.  Sometimes it can be funny to lead them along and get some free stuff but some dudes can be really creepy if they genuinely think you're a girl =/

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15  Edited By zyn

Dude, no.  I play a female character but I always make sure they know that I'm a dude.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By time allen

have a few female characters in guild wars but i don't act as if i'm a lady. people in that game are surprisingly non-creepish, too.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By GoofyGoober

I did in Ps home a few times for some laughs.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By MysteriousBob

Hell no. Role playing games are supposed to be me and last time I checked, I'm a dude.

OP has issues.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@SamStrife said:

I don't pretend to be a girl but I always have Girl Avatars. I believe it was orginal Dave at Giantbomb that said "If you've got to look at a character for hundreds of hours, may as well make it a good looking one" and that's the way I've always seen it also. I do get a load of people asking me if I really am a girl or act differantly because they think I am. I also had a guy on the PSN ask me if I was a girl because of my Call Of Duty Emblem. Sometimes it can be funny to lead them along and get some free stuff but some dudes can be really creepy if they genuinely think you're a girl =/

I use the Coco Bandicoot avatar on PSN. As soon as I switched to that, I got several messages asking "r u a girl?".

Slightly disturbing.

@Toms115 said:

have a few female characters in guild wars but i don't act as if i'm a lady. people in that game are surprisingly non-creepish, too.

Stay away from pre-searing. Hang around there and you'll find where the creeps are hanging. Very strange, a lot of people must have bought the game just to try and find online girls.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By beargirl1
@SamStrife said:
I do get a load of people asking me if I really am a girl or act differantly because they think I am.  I also had a guy on the PSN ask me if I was a girl because of my Call Of Duty Emblem.  Sometimes it can be funny to lead them along and get some free stuff but some dudes can be really creepy if they genuinely think you're a girl =/
this happens to me all the time. it's irritating and creepy most of the time, but there are times where it's downright hilarious when you just go along with it
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By time allen
@WinterSnowblind: well there's obviously some creeps, but the majority of people i've played with on that game are pretty normal. 
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Sambambo

This is too odd...

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SamStrife
@WinterSnowblind: Haha I have Ibuki from Street Fighter and I've set my colour to pink, that probably doesn't help the cause.  I'm not doing it to make myself look like a girl though, I just like the colour pink.
Pyrgz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pyrgz

I'm not wearing this dress to look like a girl, I just like dresses

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By penguindust

Most of the time I create a female character for a few reasons.  One, "Dave's rule" which most of us are aware of already.  Two, just as in real life, their fashions are more creative and since most RPG/MMOs are about loot, looking good is a consideration.  Three, other players don't pick fights with you as much if you're a female avatar.  I tend to want to focus on the task at hand and not be challenged to a duel every 5 seconds.  In Warcraft, whenever I took my male mage out to play, soon after someone would want to duel me.  God, I hated Goldshire for that.  My female paladin didn't run into that problem too often.  The downside is sometimes I got stalkers who would follow my avatar around.  When I told them to buzz off, they'd then call me some sort of name. 

I don't accept that "role playing games are supposed to be you" argument.  "Role-play" implies something other than yourself.  Now if someone said "I just can't identify playing a girl", "my imagination would only be an idealized girl from a male perspective" or "gender swapping confuses my sexual identity and that makes me uncomfortable", I can understand those explanations; however saying that "I will only play as myself" in an RPG goes against the foundation of the genre.   Otherwise, I can only assume that there are a lot of violent and arrogant thugs among us because "Renegade" Shepard was quite popular. 

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By sameeeeam
@PenguinDust said: 

"Dave's rule"   

I'm not aware of this. Or at least, I don't remember this. Is it an old Bombcast thing?
IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By IBurningStar

Come on down to Babe's Lounge on Friday night and you can see me pretend to be a girl in real life.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recall doing it a couple of times. It's quite amusing, but really childish.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By penguindust
@Underachiever007:   It's from a Quick Look, but what it summarizes is the well known rationalization that if you're going to spend 60 or more hours staring at a character's bottom, it might as well be an attractive ass.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By dagas

I sometimes choose a female avatar, but I don't pretend to be female and I've never received free stuff because of it. I've only pretended once when I was like 14 or something, the guy still offered to meet me even after I told him I wasn't the 16 year old girl I claimed to be and that I was just teasing, but I had the common sense to block the sick bastard.

JessicaBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31  Edited By JessicaBoo

LOL i want to meet those girls that get good treatment. As a girl gamer, I remember never saying anything while playing CoD or GoW because I was winning a team game by myself and they all thought I was a guy, so when I said. Good match thanks guys... The insults game along, calling me a hoe and other shit because I was a girl and I just beat them... And I was like... Well stop playing like me and you probably would win :)  

On MMOs I do remember meeting this guy once hahahaha and for the longest time he pretended to be a girl and I'm like... For a girl you speak very guy-ish and he said, well that's because I am. But I am gay. I'm like... OK why lie? Well everyone lies on games so it was to no surprise to me. 

But I never go treated like you guys think "nicely". I much rather not say nothing because it's kinda annoying always getting to the debate that girl gamers should never play games and that they don't exist and that we are all men pretending to be girls. >=( so no. I'm the one that says not much at all, in order to stop the stupidity of im not aloud to play games coming out. :) 

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mikeeegeee

I rolled a female undead mage in WoW for quite some time. But I named her Manbeast, so I guess I was mixing signals.