Do you feel compelled to finish every game you buy?

• 62 results
Ramsaya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Ramsaya92

I had it in my head I needed to finish Dark Souls but was having a hard time with performance issues (PS3) and just the grind I would need to do to get leveled properly. Had already finished Demon's Souls. Watched Load Our Last Souls and a 2 hour movie version of the game on Youtube. I felt satisfied enough to move on to Dark Souls 2 on PS4 and am enjoying it immensely more in all aspects. It just feels so much more refined.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't finish all the games I buy. Sometimes I get my fill of the experience before the content actually ends, or sometimes I get distracted by another game. I'll usually try to come back later, but I'm not a big stickler about needing to finish whatever a game's designated final thing might be.

zorban_zorban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately, yes. Wasted so much time as a kid completing worthless games.

captainjudaism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only play games to completion as long as I find enjoyment in the process. The moment I no longer enjoy the game I give it time to recapture my interest before I shelf it and move on. This year my games bought vs games finished ratio has been fairly decent... mostly because I spent most of the year unemployed and thus could not afford to buy games.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Belegorm

I expected this to be a thread from like 6 years ago, because I couldn't believe the question hasn't been asked before. I'm pretty sure it has, but new thread.

Do I feel compelled to finish every game I buy? Hell no. This was particularly true for me in years past where in steam sales I'd buy pretty much every game at a deep discount I kind of thought I'd want to play. In the past couple years however, I mostly buy only games I'm sure I will play soon, but even then I don't finish all of them.

The weirdest example for me so far is FFXV, I bought that game on release day (which I hadn't been planning on at all), got to the last chapter, and have yet to beat it.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I make a point to not just finish everything I buy, but to also chase the maximum trophy percentage I feel I'm capable of in any given game. In event memory, the only games I haven't finished are No Man's Sky (which I consider technically unfinishable) and MGSV (stopped before the FOB opened because I heard it ruins the game).

John_Wiswell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did up until the era of Humble Bundle. I'm actually grateful to the overflow of games breaking me from finishing them all, because man did I used to waste a lot of hours on worthless Grand Theft Auto mission structures.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I try but I get held up on two types of games:

1. Open world games

2. Difficult games

I am doing my best right now to finish Watch Dogs 2. I really like the game, but I know that if I don't start pushing through it now I never will, so I trying to avoid the side stuff and do more main missions.

Difficult games is harder to categorize because it's less of a skill thing, and more games like Banner Saga or Darkest Dungeon. Those games aren't exactly hard, but they are very stressful. I might enjoy games like these, but I have trouble putting more then an hour into them at a time.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely not. I play games for my enjoyment. If I don't enjoy a game (anymore), I move on to the next. There are too many games out there to waste my time on something I'm not having a good time with in the bit of free time I have for games.

I also don't buy too many games anymore, I really try to always make an informed decision and only buy games I will actually play and enjoy. That seems to work out pretty well. I've been having a great time the Witcher for a few months now.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm finished when I'm done, not when I've completed it. I stop when I get my fill. Most stories aren't engaging enough that I need to see them through.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I really,really like it, I'll run through it. If it's something I got through a sale but have yet to get to it, I'll eventually play it to completion.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't even feel compelled to play every game I buy.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Huh, I thought I posted here.

Even as a kid, I never really felt compelled to finish everything I owned. I remember a few times growing up where I'd separate the games I had finished from the games I hadn't, attempt to only play the games I hadn't, and then go back to my regulars a week later.

I'd like to be one of those people that seems to be able to finish everything they start with regards to video games, TV shows, and books, but I can't. I might make it halfway through a game and suddenly have a strong desire to play something else. I'll keep trying to stick to that game but I'll stop enjoying it because all I can think about is playing that something else, so I'll just move on to whatever other game I'm thinking about and then the cycle repeats, leaving a trail of unfinished games behind me.

I've been better about that this year. For one, I haven't had anywhere near as many impulses about buying newer games and when I do, I've been getting better about shrugging it off. For two, I just got tired of coming home and spending thirty minutes *thinking* about which game to play and not actually playing anything, so instead I'd just start whatever I've been playing and then turn it off if I'm not enjoying myself. I'm happy to say that I did finish four out of the five games on my GOTY list (haven't posted it yet). Still, there are quite a few games that I purchased this year that remain unfinished.

So, to stop digressing and actually answer the question - do I feel compelled to finish every game I buy? Well, yeah, when I'm at the checkout counter and money is exchanging hands, I'm pretty much always planning on finishing whatever I'm buying. Does it actually happen? Not as often as it should, no.

I should also note that I also think time is more valuable than money. If I spend sixty bucks on a game and I find myself hating it four hours in, I stop right there and put it down. No reason to spend more of myself on the game than I already have. When I go to buy a game at any price, I already know that such a thing might happen, so I'm fine with that sixty bucks not going into something significant.