Do you have trouble watching people play games?

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BrockNRolla

What I mean is, do you get frustrated by it? I'm usually all about watching people play games (Obviously one of the major appeals of this site), but I can't help but get irritated by the play sometimes. Two recent examples come to mind, the Trine 2 Quick Look and the Chrono Trigger Endurance Run.

The Trine 2 QL was mostly just acting stupid and griefing each other, which just got frustrating to watch after a while when I really did want to see what the game was all about. The CT ER though is showing some real bad RPG playing. I don't know how long they shot the videos over, but they are constantly forgetting game mechanics, where they are supposed to be going, and what they are supposed to be doing. I mean, come on! Dinosaurs are weak to lightning! You knew that four episodes ago and used it to great effect, and now you're getting your ass kicked because you've forgotten? What gives?

Do do you get frustrated while watching other play games?

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By kmdrkul

In real life, yes. I don't get frustrated watching the Giant Bomb guys because it's usually a game I know nothing about and just want to get a quick... look at.

But in real life? Fuck yes I get frustrated. My friends, not so much, since they are competent and know what they are doing most of the time. My brother? Seriously, he's been playing video games just as long as I have; I have no idea how he is so awful and clueless sometimes. Don't even get me started on my dad....

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By matthias2437

Depends on the game. Like I love watching Starcraft 2, LoL, and Dota 2 tournaments and stuff. But I HATE watching people play games with any sort of puzzle because then I just get made when they don't see the obvious place they have to go.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jetsetwillie

only because when i try and watch they shut the curtains.

they say me hanging around outside their house is creepy and wrong. but if i wear black and its at night they don't spot me.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BrockNRolla

@jetsetwillie said:

only because when i try and watch they shut the curtains.

they say me hanging around outside their house is creepy and wrong. but if i wear black and its at night they don't spot me.

Yes, I have told you that a hundred times. Stops coming into my yard or I'm going to call the cops.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King
moncole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By moncole

Yes. In the Resident Evil 4 HD quick look they didn't shoot the vendor because they thought he would be gon forever but he appears still

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I'll watch someone play a unreleased game so I can get an idea of how well I might like the game myself. As long as the person playing can actually progress in the game, I ignore their skill.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By elyk247

Online, no. In my house, yes.(If they're amazing, I'll watch all day though)

slyely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By slyely

It used to bother me watching people play games, but I think the older I get the less it bothers me.

Sometimes I wonder if the GiantBomb crew does that stuff on purpose just to keep ya screaming at the computer screen. :)

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Dany

No. I don't have a compulsion to insult people playing a game as many people here do.

XxBarretxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By XxBarretxX

it depends, I could watch a game that's heavily story based like MGS4, ME2, or FF13 no problem. But Skyrim or or something open like that O couldn't.
I have no problems watching them online though, if I'm watching it, it's because I want too. I love watching GB QL and fighting game tournaments. Starcraft bored the hell out of me though.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By grilledcheez

The Trine 2 quick look was awesome, but it depends on the game. If it's a game I care about like Skyrim, I can watch just about anybody play it.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Love watching shit I suck at, like StarCraft 2 and fighting games. I can have a real hard time watching shooters here on GB since my reaction time and situational awareness, even though I'm not playing, is usually a good two seconds ahead of the crew. I'll be like SHOOT THAT GUY OH DEAR GOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING and such, that asshole etc. Can't help it.

Also I have a big problem when people are awful at puzzle games and take forever to see obvious solutions, but that doesn't happen here that often, probably because I'm not great at puzzle games.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NTM

@Moncole said:

Yes. In the Resident Evil 4 HD quick look they didn't shoot the vendor because they thought he would be gon forever but he appears still

That was pretty bad, and also when Brad didn't understand how to hold on to the Colossus in Shadow of the Colossus, but there are only a few exceptions when it comes to seeing people play games online, and I mostly get somewhat annoyed when seeing some people play in reality.

Clouise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Clouise

No, one of my favourite things to do is watch my brother play video games!

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Ben_H

It depends. I can't watch shooters, they're just too dull. 

However, I watch a tons of SC2 streams from pro players because they're so much better than me that I can learn a ton just watching.  The Korean players are always the most fun to watch because they're so good.  Well that and the crazy k-pop they always play. 

There's like four Korean pros who play this song constantly: 

pixieface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pixieface

Nah. I love watching people play video games. I have very fond memories of my brother, our friend, and I playing Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines together as a Malkavian. My brother played while me and our friend provided commentary and really stupid jokes. Same thing with the original Bioshock and KotOR. The Endurance Runs and Quick Looks remind me of that.

As long as the playthroughs aren't cringe-inducing, nails-on-a-chalkboard kind of videos like iJustine's Portal 2 catastrophe, then I don't mind bad play styles.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ShaggE

I can get frustrated when trying to introduce a non-gamer to anything more advanced than Peggle, but under normal circumstances, I only really cringe when a person playing a particular game for the first time skips cutscenes/dialog, or doesn't take an obvious side path.

As for Quick Looks, I don't really watch for information so much as for comedy or reactions, so the Trine 2 buffoonery was great for me.

I also find that I probably watch more gameplay than participate in. And I play a LOT, so that's a depressing realization.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BraveToaster

@ShaggE said:

I can get frustrated when trying to introduce a non-gamer to anything more advanced than Peggle, but under normal circumstances, I only really cringe when a person playing a particular game for the first time skips cutscenes/dialog, or doesn't take an obvious side path.

As for Quick Looks, I don't really watch for information so much as for comedy or reactions, so the Trine 2 buffoonery was great for me.

I also find that I probably watch more gameplay than participate in. And I play a LOT, so that's a depressing realization.

I agree. I can tolerate gamers watching gamers who are getting used to a game's controls, though.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Vonocourt

No, not really. Having people watch me play though, can't stand it.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MeierTheRed

@Dany said:

No. I don't have a compulsion to insult people playing a game as many people here do.

Same here.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Hizang

Occasionally, Its fine watching somebody play something thats genuinely hard, but watching somebody fail at something easy is hard.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Vexxan

If it's a game I've played a bit myself then I can get frustrated at times.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By plaintomato

I rarely watch the QLs because if I want to play the game, I don't want it spoiled. And if I'm not interested in the game, I don't care.

There's entertainment value for sure, but since I only have time for so much entertainment...

That said, it's crazy to me how much there is a market for the QLs - a lot of people that don't even really play games watch them; this I don't understand, but I enjoy GB so good for them.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I love watching people play games. Now having people watch me play games is a different story. I always feel like I should be doing more to keep them entertained. Also talking and playing at the same time really is a bitch. I mean you can completely miss on-screen text.

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TopCat88

The only time this got to me was the Tetris Quicklook a while ago. I can't remember the specific tetris iteration but I learnt watching Tetris is like Chinese Water Torture to me. I guess because there are so many ways to play it and "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!"

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By daiphyer

I cannot stand watching people play a game and be horrible at it. The catch is if I am horrible at it too, then I don't mind.

I have no feelings on watching games that I haven't played for myself though.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MideonNViscera

There's 2 kinds of people I hate watching play videogames. Dads, moms, girlfriends, little kids fall into one category together, while shitty friends who think you came over to watch them play FF11 all night are the other.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SpencerTucksen
@kmdrkul said:

In real life, yes. I don't get frustrated watching the Giant Bomb guys because it's usually a game I know nothing about and just want to get a quick... look at.

But in real life? Fuck yes I get frustrated. My friends, not so much, since they are competent and know what they are doing most of the time. My brother? Seriously, he's been playing video games just as long as I have; I have no idea how he is so awful and clueless sometimes. Don't even get me started on my dad....

It shocks me sometimes how bad certain people are at games. Especially games they've played a lot over a long period of time. I'm not saying I'm the best gamer ever or anything (though I am never really bad at games, for some reason...probably because I've played so much I basically know what to do in the vast majority of games), but you'd think people would learn over the course of time how to be good at games.
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sooty

I like watching StarCraft II, Street Fighter and Marvel vs. Capcom but I do find it difficult to sit and watch non-competitive videos such as quick looks and let's plays, unless they are extremely funny, but most of them aren't.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By phish09

I don't have trouble with it per se.  I enjoy the GB quick looks, but in general I don't enjoy watching other people playing video games because video games are an interactive form of entertainment and if I'm not interacting with it then, to me, they are not all that entertaining.

TheMurray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheMurray

Don't like watching someone play a video game they're not good at very much at all. It's possible that the video is worthwhile because of humor or the game's content, but I don't think it's ever actually a good thing for the video.

Really wish Endurance Runs were of video games the player knows as opposed to having both people blind.

Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dunchad

I love LPs, but they can be frustrating. I think learning how to let go and not stress about things that don't matter, is really important - especially in the internet. And you can do that by watching bunch of LPs.

Jesse Cox's YT channel (OMFGcata) is amazing for that kind of treatment - he has a tons of subscribers like me who watch his LPs and have learned to enjoy the way he keeps fucking up constantly. Despite considering myself a pretty chill dude (GB fuckups no longer faze me), he can still make my blood boil.

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Enns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Enns

I like having LP's and game streams on while I do stuff. So if anything I think it's pretty funny when someone sucks at something. It's even endearing when they are terrible but don't give up.

What does strike a nerve is when people complain or readily shit on a game because they ignored obvious direction or just can't learn how to play it correctly with provided mechanics. Missing something or failing to "get it" doesn't bother me at all just if they start blindly bitching about it does. It's a lot worse when it's someone that's suppose to be explaining or showing a game to you.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By Karl_Boss

Only if they are doing terribly.

GoodKn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GoodKn1ght

I really don't. I've always thought people should just play as the want. If they suck fine by me, I don't really take the initiative to tell them what to do unless they ask. Unless they are on my team....

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Yeah, I do. I was an asshole on Rock Band. I couldn't wrap my head around my friends not giving a fuck and just using my game to get drunk-er and more retarded. Granted it often led to hilarity, but at the time I couldn't comprehend it.

Now I do, and I realize how stupid it is to get angry over someone else's play.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iam3green

sometimes since they have things to talk about. if a friend is playing i'll get bored. i watched my friend play fallout new vegas. i got pretty bored fast with the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't stand watching people who are horrible at a game that I know well, though I can certainly enjoy things like Quick Looks or other videos like them, even though the players might be bad at the game.

One video I can't watch though is GameInformers Splinter Cell Replay.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

#41  Edited By wumbo3000

@Ertard said:

Love watching shit I suck at, like StarCraft 2 and fighting games. I can have a real hard time watching shooters here on GB since my reaction time and situational awareness, even though I'm not playing, is usually a good two seconds ahead of the crew. I'll be like SHOOT THAT GUY OH DEAR GOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING and such, that asshole etc. Can't help it.

Also I have a big problem when people are awful at puzzle games and take forever to see obvious solutions, but that doesn't happen here that often, probably because I'm not great at puzzle games.

My feelings exactly. Street Fighter, Marvel Vs. Capcom, Starcraft 2, League of Legends, etc. I fucking suck at those games but love watching people who are actually good play.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By amir90

No.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By Christoffer

@BrockNRolla: No, I have that mad scientist nerve that loves to watch people break down... and I'm not doing anything to prevent it.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Capum15

I don't. I mean, I will talk at the screen and say "Go there!", but it's never frustrated me, it just makes me laugh. I enjoy watching people figure stuff like that out on their own.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By _Zombie_

Depends if I like the game or not, or if I'm interested in it. I frequently watch my brother play Skyrim, because quite frankly.. he gets utterly lost sometimes. I do have a bad habit of being a backseat gamer that I'm working on kicking.

SanjK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SanjK

The only game I have ever had a hard time watching someone play is portal. I enjoy watching other people play anything else, it's interesting to see how they figure out problems or what kinds of missions they prefer.