Do you like unlocks that you get *after* you finish a game?

hencook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll Do you like unlocks that you get *after* you finish a game? (204 votes)

No, I'm probably not going to play the game again, so I won't use the unlocked item in question. 59%
Yes, I will play the entirety of the game again with my unlocked uber weapon and/or color palette swapped skin. 13%
I have a slightly differing opinion, and/or I have never finished a game. 14%
I am the master of unlocking. 14%

What say you

• 
Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm trying to think of a game that has had something like this that I've replayed. Honestly can't think of one yet.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slightly differing from the options listed. I don't like them, but I sometimes do go back and use the options. I especially do not like extra difficulties, like how Spec Ops: The Line locked FUBAR behind that, how the Arkham games lock the hardest difficulty behind it (although that's more acceptable because it's New Game + technically), are behind walls. Unlocks behind that wall are dumb though. Really dumb. Let people just use the shit as soon as they get it, especially if it's fucking costumes. Again the Arkham games are really bad offenders in this in how costumes are locked until you beat the game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I love it when games have unlockables, even it's little things like some new costumes or w/e. Seems so rare these days what with most of it being cordoned to DLC or something. It all depends on the game of course, but if I like it enough then some unlockable stuff may be incentive enough for me to give it another run.

Also, nice touch with the bottom choice.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Somehow the 4th option made me chuckle

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Love it. I kind of see this as the alternative to microtransactions or ingame purchases.

Resident Evil 4 and Uncharted 2 are games that I really dug into that stuff.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only finish games I like enough that I would replay them one day so generally yes but it depends on how they are done.
The Resident Evil stuff is usually pretty good, it is some sort of bad ass weapon that changes the way you play, so that's great. I loved running through achievements in Dead Rising to get what they unlocked, the Mega Man blaster is so much fun.

I wont play a game immediately afterwards if it is just a skin or something (unless I loved it and need to re-play RIGHT NOW) but I appreciate a skin for any future replays.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resident Evil 4 is maybe the only game that was good enough that I felt like replaying it with all the bonkers shit you unlock after you beat the game.

In most other games I find it irritating, because I'm generally gonna be done with the game once I beat it that first time.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By handlas

Nope nope nope and I always hate this. I'm glad Arkham Knight lets you use alternate costumes any time you want.

One of my biggest regrets was unlocking all clothing in Red Dead Redemption. I loved that game but what an enormous waste of time it was. You literally had to complete every single thing in the game in order to get a suit that was an FBI agent I think. Which basically made you invincible but once you got it there was nothing left to do in the game (no story, side missions... nothing) and, at that point, you are pretty tired of the game. At least leave something else to do so you can use what you worked to unlock.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I love it. I'm a total sucker for it, especailly when combined with a new game plus mode. Arkham city and the DMC series have always held a special place in my heart because of it.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if the game is designed for replayability. Like short, difficult, randomly generated indie games. Unlocking something after 30+ hours of chiseled story-based gameplay doesn't matter a thing to me.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm rather sick of unlockables in general. I'd rather keep replaying a game because it's fun and has really good controls. I don't understand why in the new Batman you have to unlock the fighting abilities that you had in the previous games.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have never finished a game

Also I am the master of unlocking

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Giant_Gamer

I think that unlocking contents upon beating a game will add to the replayability of that game, specially if that game have been built around its story mode like most other games.

But there's one big problem that some developers make sometimes, which is locking contents behind walls on an already lacking game.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only time I don't mind this is in open world games where there's still plenty to do after you finish the main story. For linear games...nope, I almost never replay them.

hencook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hencook

@aiurflux said:

behind walls. Unlocks behind that wall are dumb though. Really dumb.

But there's one big problem that some developers make sometimes, which is locking contents behind walls on an already lacking game.

Uh, would you guys mind explaining the concept of what this "content wall" is?

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like to replay games, but I never use the New Game+ option since I find it breaks the experience for me, so any unlock that is near-to-the-end or post-game is meaningless for me unless there is a significant post-game.

@hencook said:
@aiurflux said:

behind walls. Unlocks behind that wall are dumb though. Really dumb.

@giant_gamer said:

Uh, would you guys mind explaining the concept of what this "content wall" is?

A content wall is like lock that you can only unlock by clearing a certain amount of the game.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With stuff that will change the game, like an overpowered weapon or something, I understand making it an endgame unlock.

However, anything like costumes or skins? That stuff should be usable and unlockable as soon as you get it. I hate a game that has me do something for a costume, but then won't let me wear the damn thing until I play through the rest of the game. It's just an appearance modifier, not a game breaker.

So I guess I'm in the middle, leaning towards no.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I barely have time to play the game once, so no.

Also, I have a real hard time caring about any collectables on open world, specially after I complete the story, for many times I thought "I will get this once I complete the story". Nop, never.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By Entreri10

Mostly no but it can vary from game to game. For example I played through RE5 something like 5-6 times with a couple different friends and would use unlocks that I got.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I fudging hate it. The only game I've seen that actually lets you get all sorts of content without beating the game is Assassin's Creed Rogue. But even then, it's so short that it doesn't really matter.

Take Arkham Knight for example, I'm able to use the DLC skins right away. No having to beat it like the other games. It's better for me because once I have that content my first thought is "Okay, let me use this content", not "Let me wait and wait and wait to use this content".

I very rarely replay games anymore. So that option to use this extra shit from the get go is a lot more appealing for me.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Eh I don't mind that it's there. But I usually don't interact with it. Resident Evil 4 is one of few exceptions I can remember where I had fun with NG+ unlocks.

Does Dark Souls count? That game has stuff that is only useful on NG+.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Depends on the game? With the Pokemon games after Silver/Gold, when you 'finished the game' you unlocked a load more stuff, that was great. But honestly, with most games these days once I've finished it I doubt I'll be playing it again anyway so post game unlocks aren't something I'm bothered about.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Often it's a case of the unlocks going to waste because I won't play again, but it can certainly be nice, particularly if there's a new game plus that you can bring those unlocks into.

Vessel28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Bayonetta is a great example of how to do unlocks.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hatking

That's an interesting question. Honestly, I very rarely replay games. Unlockables aren't really ever going to be the thing that convinces me to replay something either, not that I wouldn't take advantage of them if I were to replay. That said, there is some weird sinking feelings when I complete a game and get nothing. [insert picture of Gene Wilder]

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Rebel_Scum

A well done New Game+ I won't scoff at. Nier is a good example. Well actually any game that I find highly replayable I don't mind a New Game+. Other stuff you mentioned like different skins, weapons etc. not so much. So I voted no.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rafaelfc

If you can play on higher difficulties with the unlocks like Resident Evil 5 then yes, I will absolutely try a second playthrough.

If I'm forced to replay the same difficulty to keep my unlocks, like Dead Space, then I'm definitely not gonna bother.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No it's fucking stupid. Give me my rewards the FIRST time through. Probably won't be playing again. It's super lame.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Ratchet and Clank games I always replay in challenge mode. The weapons upgrade more and usually you don't have the bolts to buy the RYNO until new game +

shrinerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if the unlocks give you stuff that makes you beat the game super fast (RE4 hand cannon) then yes.