Do you normally take breaks in your gaming sessions?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Poll Do you normally take breaks in your gaming sessions? (163 votes)

Yes 56%
No 44%
 • 
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jeust

According to health advices, also in the manuals of games, a person should take a break of 15 minutes, after every hour of play.

Do you take them? Or any breaks at all?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

My stuff always say an hour?

The last time I played a game for more than an hour and a half without getting up was Dark Souls II. Before that, I can't even remember what it was, it has probably been years, and I played that session of DSII after a pretty rough work week and spending all weekend working on stuff.

Usually I just naturally feel a need to get up after an hour and a half or two hours. If I'm so absorbed in a game that I don't want to get up, then I'm not going to. If I feel like I need to get up after only 30 minutes, I'll do that. The advice of health manuals doesn't even cross my mind.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Coincidence this is the same poll on gamefaqs?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jeust

@bluefalcon said:

Coincidence this is the same poll on gamefaqs?

It was inspired by it, but the questions are different.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not consciously, no. Though I should.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't take breaks just for the sake of taking a break, but I do usually feel the need to move around or reset my brain every so often. So playing for 90min or so and then taking a break is pretty common. The exceptions in this case being multiplayer games (I can do some unhealthily long MP sessions if everyone else are in on it) or a game I'm super engaged in and won't let go. An example currently is Witcher 3 which I've more or less been playing in 5h chunks. First day was more like 10.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I voted for yes. I am not heeding health and safety advice, I'm just taking breaks because I usually just feel like taking breaks here or there. Although, there are certainly occasions that I've played something for several hours straight.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

When playing MMOs or other online games, I take breaks all the time. I tend to binge-play single player games though. Not sure why, but meh.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Absolutely. I get too uncomfortable if I sit for too long, so I usually get up once an hour or so. If I'm really into a game, it might stretch all the way to two hours but never any longer than that. My breaks are rarely 15 minutes--I usually just get up to walk around and get a drink/go to the bathroom--but they really seem to help.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By MachoFantastico

I use to (and sometimes wish I could still) binge through games, I usually have to take breaks now. I get restless if I don't.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes? Mostly it's to use the bathroom, or get some food, though sometimes I do just need to stretch my legs for a few minutes.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

When I was younger, and everything was just 2D pixels, I wouldn't take breaks. I would end up with pains in the back of my neck. Now that most AAA games are first- or third-person, I need to take a break every hour to help alleviate any motion sickness.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes, I sleep.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't take a break unless there's something I need to do, which probably happens every few hours. They only last long enough to grab a drink, use the bathroom, or say hi to my dog though.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

All the time. I can't sit for long periods of time, I have to get up and do something else.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, though it's nothing to do with health. Mainly my attention span for games has deteriorated to the point that I will usually interrupt a game every hour or so to look at, or watch something, on the Internet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Yeah I usually get bored and go and make tea or something / change game every 1 or 2 hours.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#18 fisk0  Moderator

My gaming sessions rarely last more than 20-30 minutes anyway, so no.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bigsocrates

I don't generally "take breaks" in a conscious way but like a lot of people have said my gaming sessions don't tend to be all that long. If I'm marathoning a game to finish it or whatever then I generally will take breaks. Not for health reasons but mostly because I feel the need to. I play games for fun and sitting in one place doing something pretty repetitive stops being fun after a couple hours.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Sometimes, it depends on what game I'm playing and if I have anything going on during the day the requires my attention.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell naw son!

(I do, just not for "my health" or my eyes, more because I'm getting sore, bathroom break, food, etc.)

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Game sessions rarely go north of an hour for me before I take a break, usually just walk around the the house right quick. Also tend to walk around the room a bit during cutscenes, found a couple of beers behind my TV yesterday during a Witcher 3 cutscene.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By zombie2011

I rarely play games for longer than an hour anyways so no i don't take breaks.

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You mean going to sleep once in a while? Yes.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Yeah I do, usually roughly around when recommended

but not because I'm supposed to, but because I feel like it. I like to pace a bit periodically.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im probably closer to 45 min between breaka

Sidewinder665

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lots of folks use computers for 3 hour sessions straight in their work lives without a break. I think this is a "bread and cheese"situation i.e. technically we're not supposed to eat bread and cheese and should take 15 minute breaks from gaming every hour if we want to be in tip-top physical condition but, in reality, not taking breaks (at least not of this length and frequency) is, like eating bread and cheese, (to quote David Mitchell) "absolutely, demonstrably fine".

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kasaioni

I used to not do that. But now I do and it's making me feel older. Or it might be the fact that I get distracted by other things, and not necessarily that I get tired.