Do you regret buying a collector's edition?

kre8havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

So a few months, or more, after buying a collector's edition (whatever dumb thing they call it), have you ever regretted buying one? I remember getting really excited Batman: Arkham Asylum, so I got the collector's edition. I few months later I was looking at a huge box that I didn't know what to do with and a bunch of crap that I didn't really care about.

Am I alone in this?

Lunance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've only bought two collector's editions, those being Dark Souls and Halo 4. And I've got to say I'm not dissappointed at all.
Halo 4 has a bunch of goodies for idiots like me (Forward unto Dawn, some stuff for lore nerds, Map Packs and random avatar stuff). About Dark Souls, there is no way I could be dissappointed with the collector's edition with it being just as cheap as the regular edition. An artbook, OST, beginners guide and some random very forgettable videos.

I researched very thoroughly before buying them. Just like my dad says: if you want it, wait for while and if you still care about it, buy it.
Soo... No I have not regretted buying collector's edition, albeit I've only bought two. *shrug*

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No, you are not. I bought the special edition of God of War 3... while the box was nice, it had nothing inside worth the price (the soundtrack and the behind the scenes were downloadable only and the concept art booklet was pretty short)

Also, I didn't bought it but due to a shipping error I received the special edition of Prince of Persia 08... I would have been pretty pissed if I had payed full price for it, since it only had a soundtrack disc that could not be read on a CD player (it had 4 songs on a blu-ray)

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it wasn't a gift, I probably would have regretted the big ass Fable 3 collector's edition.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By probablytuna

Yes, all the time... Except when it came with an art book, those were cool. I've mostly stayed away from collector's editions now, that's why I didn't pick up the Songbird edition of Bioshock Infinite. I didn't want another big ass statue with no place to put it.

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I bought the Duke Nukem Forever "Balls of Steel" Edition. Now, while it is still somewhat fun to own an LE piece of vaporware, this could be had on eBay for $20, whereas I paid the full $99 plus shipping. And then I didn't order the Ni No Kuni Wizard Edition, so I pretty much have shitty instincts when it comes to this stuff.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By toowalrus

I love my bust of Duke Nukem. No regrets.

Knochenkotzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Knochenkotzer

I only got a few this generation and I don't regret any of them. Especially loved the Ni No Kuni Collector's Edition. That book is great to have and it's even of use in the game a bit. :P

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Soul Calibur 4s collectors edition was pretty meh but the game was awesome.

I also got the one for Street Fighter X Tekken. I actually still use the piggy bank it came with and the comic was pretty neat too. I just wish the game was better.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only ever bought the Final Fantasy XII collector's edition. I don't regret it. At least it wasn't $120 for something I won't care about in a few weeks.

Bubislegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought the Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 collectors edition and I'm super bummed they came out with Super so soon after.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By MikeJFlick

I've only bought two collectors editions that I can recall, Metal Gear Solid 4 and GTA4 and didn't regret either.

Gta4 came with a kickass lock-box and gym bag and MGS4 neat cardboard case and special features disc.

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The backpack that came with inFamous 2 broke after a week, but I really liked the game and enjoy having the little statue on display. So no, not really. All the other one's I've gotten have been pretty badass.

I did pick up FFXII LE, which is a piece of garbage, but it was in a bargain bin for like $20.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Marvel vs Capcom collector's edition. Mainly bought it for the dlc but then Ultimate came out 8 months later with those dlc characters but a bunch of other ones and game updates. F U Capcom.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah very recently in fact. I couldn't find the collectors edition of Bioshock Infinite for preorder anywhere anymore, so I ordered it offline but still got the regular game on day one. The collectors edition eventually came and I still havent opened it. It's just sitting in it's shipping box under a desk still. I'll get you a picture if you want lol.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Only for Tabula Rasa, except that will maybe be some legendary collector's item in thirty years. So no, I guess not.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#17 riostarwind  Moderator

Nope I almost always buy knowing I want to display the extra content. MGS4 was the only one I couldn't do anything with since it just had a few extra blu ray discs.

betterboulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought the Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 collectors edition and I'm super bummed they came out with Super so soon after.

This. A huge huge disappointment. Kickass steelbook but it was rendered moot when Ultimate arrived.

Recently I got the Ni No Kuni Wizard Edition. But the box is so freaking huge in my small apartment I just look at it and my heart fills with contempt.

I'm pretty much swearing of collector's editions for now. At least until I get a bigger place.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Nictel

Yes. Buying the digital collector's edition for Hitman was pretty dumb.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I almost bought that pizza box edition of Catherine. I didn't even car about that game that much at the time. I guess I just got over the hype fast enough to be able to cancel the order before it shipped. I ended up getting an edition with the art book and a soundtrack that I think was $10 more or something.

I love my bust of Duke Nukem. No regrets.

Absolutely. I'd even go as far as to say that's my favorite one.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't gotten a collectors edition in i don't know how long. They seem like a waste of money for petty pointless extras, but to each their own.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SomberOwl

@betterboulder: I want that Ni No Kuni CE. I'm one of the people who got screwed by Namco Bandai and there shipping company.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Haven't bought a CE in a long time, mostly because what they give you is garbage.

Avatar image for belligerentengine
BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah my Starcraft 2 collectors edition was kind of a pos investment all things considered, especially since the custom Thor model it gives you is actually annoying and looks really out of place.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Ehh... the only one I kinda regret getting was the Mortal Kombat CE. Two bookends, while awesome looking, are useless to me. And plus, I got "exclusive" character skins that were later put up for sale. I really liked the Gears 3 CE mainly because I could play as Adam Fenix who had some great battle dialog. Too bad I don't play either of them anymore.

kre8havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember getting the bioshock 1 CE and had that big daddy for while. After a while though I just found myself saying "all I am doing is looking at this thing, and I paid an extra $30 for this thing. Why? Maybe if I ever see one with something useful in it I will reconsider.

I like my stuff to do stuff.

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By darkjohnny47

I have the collector's editions for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Halo Reach, Bioshock 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, LittleBigPlanet 2, Dead Rising 2, Alan Wake, Dead Space 2, Black Ops (Prestige Edition), Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 3, and Saint's Row 2. I regret all of them except Bioshock 2, Borderlands, and the Fallout games. All of these special editions have no game with in them. I have a couple of the games on Games on Demand on the Xbox.

I thought for a long time about getting the $80 version of Bioshock Infinite, but then realized that I have all this other junk that just sits there on a shelf and said, "no thanks."

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought the Diablo 3 Collector's Edition. I don't know why I did that, so I guess I regret it in some way.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I've only bought the collector's edition for Warcraft 3 and Halo: Reach. Those were both worthwhile, I think.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#30  Edited By Svenzon

Gears of War 2, but at least it wasn't terribly expensive.

starerik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By starerik

I regret buying the collector's edition of Skyward Sword because the PAL edition was manufactured in Germany which gave us this big ugly rating symbol on the cover:

No Caption Provided

But I do like the golden Wii remote, but seriously… :( the cover. UK and Nordic versions don't have this, but this was the only version that came with the remote. :/

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gamefreak9

I don't even remember my col editions... apart from HOTS which I LOVE! I think I bought Halo 2 collector edition, but I think I was too disapointed about the game to care about the collectors edition. I think I also have the Orginal WOW collectors edition. That's probably it.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I only ever got the Bioshock 2 CE and got a badass Artbook out of it. No regrets.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft said:

Marvel vs Capcom collector's edition. Mainly bought it for the dlc but then Ultimate came out 8 months later with those dlc characters but a bunch of other ones and game updates. F U Capcom.

The DLC characters weren't included in Ultimate. If you didn't get them in vanilla mvc3 you still had to buy them in Ultimate.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dead Space 2 had a massively disappointing collector's edition.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never purchased a collectors edition, so i can't relate. I should eventually get a CE for a game i'm really anticipating however, i don't have very much video game paraphernalia and what i do have is mostly posters that are still in the game boxes they came in (that's not to say i don't have plenty of other stupid shit on display). I imagine i'll get the CE for Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 when they eventually rear their heads.

corruptsaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By corruptsaves

I have never brought a big box limited edition of anything since a lot of it doesn't seem worth it. I watch a video and think yeah that's nice then it stops there!

However I did really regret not getting to Ni no Kuni one for a fair price when I had the chance.. for awhile at least.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By phantomzxro

No not really, i been pretty happy with the ones i have got so far. I will say that i'm not a big fan of the throw in a statue and slap a $150 price tag on it editions.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I only buy collectors editions for games I really want and already know I want to give more money towards for whatever reason I have.

I have never felt bad about it.

I still have my Arkham Asylum Collector's Edition. I love that thing, even though it's humongous for no real reason other than the cheap batarang haha

I think the worst Collector's Edition I ever got was Half life 2. I didn't keep the box, but it was as big as the Arkham Asylum box is but all it had was the game and a T-Shirt. I don't know why it was the size it was. It seemed pretty pointless.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Mass Effect 2 collector's edition was pretty disappointing. I didn't even use any of the special gear and after my 360 broke I ended up switching over to the PS3 to play ME3 anyway.

CE's are generally not worth the price though. I think the Ni no Kuni one is the only one I've been completely satisfied with paying extra for.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Eh...not really sure I have a bunch of stuff just sitting there that doesn't so much but who cares? I like my shitty Ninja Gaiden 3,Bioshock and Mortal Kombat figures. The Fallout 3 Lunch Box is pretty neat too. Its nick knacks for geeks. My mom likes light houses so she buys light house stuff and decorates her house with it. I like to decorate with and celebrate gaming so I buy CE's that I like. Haven't bought one since DOA 5 last year though.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes like the MGR: Revengeance one that comes with the big Raiden action figure and now every time I look at it it makes me depressed why I spent so much money on a game I haven't even beaten.